The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Had to order a tyre for the car, having had another puncture, courtesy of the joiner who works from home at the entrance to our circle, a nice shiny screw near the edh=ge of the tread so not repairable.  3 tyres in 1 week.....pah!

Not all down to him I hope?

Sounds like a word in his shell-like may be in order.

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

I've noticed, both here in the workshop, and at work. That sitting on a stool and leaning forward to work on a bench is leaving me with pain in the hips and back. It's not so bad on a stool behind the unmentionable at a show as you don't have to lean forward most of the time.

Definitely sounds like an industrial injury to this Bear.....have they done a workstation assessment?  😉

Bear here.......

A bit's n pieces day, much of which has been creating a table to see what on earth a certain G & E company has been doing with regards to charging a certain Bear - cos' they really haven't got a clue.  Fortunately it's apparent that Bear is currently smiling 😁 - though that could change.  I'll see what happens over the next couple of months and then see about jumping ship, as it could prove very advantageous to do so.....

In other news, a couple of Freecycle items were due to be collected today - but are no-shows as yet.  I hope they don't prove to be ar5ebadgers, though fortunately the items in question are very small so not in the way.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

Hopefully our American correspondents can stay safe from the weather.

Not much of an impact to me. It's overcast and dim here, but a mostly sunny afternoon and unseasonably warm weekend (29°C*)  is forecast.

* Unusual for October. (A 'normal' high for the first week of October is 22°C.)

The Hurricane has just crossed the South Carolina coast. Dave ( @J. S. Bach ) will have a wet afternoon and evening. The forecast there is for around 1 - 2" ( <50mm ) of rain so not too bad, hopefully.

Some parts of the southwest Florida coast, devastated by the direct impact of the hurricane, are now seeing flooding worsen as hurricane rainfall from inland Florida returns to the coast. People who survived the storm are now having to evacuate as existing flood waters rise, even though the storm surge went through two days ago.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

He will also not wear a crown as has been the case for all but ER II.  Because he has not yet been crowned. 

The Mary Gillick portrait of EIIR (unveiled in 1952 and done before the coronation) had a laurel garland* and appeared on coinage in 1953. Apparently it was still in use at the Royal Mint, though not on circulated coins.

* rather than the state crown

The Arnold Machin portrait (approved in 1964) appeared (first?) on Australian decimal coinage in 1966. It would appear on British coinage in 1968.

The Royal Mint has a page of her late majesty's coin portraits here.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added Royal Mint link
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Some parts of the southwest Florida coast, devastated by the direct impact of the hurricane, are now seeing flooding worsen as hurricane rainfall from inland Florida returns to the coast. People who survived the storm are now having to evacuate as existing flood waters rise, even though the storm surge went through two days ago.

There were reports on the BBC news to the effect that whilst many homeowners have insurance against storm damage, they are not covered for flooding.  It also seems that sharks and gators are swimming the streets.....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5