The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Thankfully the overnight rain has stopped falling from the sky, but once again everywhere is very wet. Today is shaping up to be a busy one! Sheila is at her Zumba class this morning, so my chauffeuring duties will be required. At 19 o’clock I’m at the dentist for a check up. After that things get rather different, instead of going to the butchers and the Trafford Centre tomorrow, they are being visited today. This is so that tomorrow is freed up for a visit to the large Swedish store in Warrington, as apparently we need some more picture frames. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

This was lower - yes, he did get into "quite a lotta trouble" for it:

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-story-of-the-hunter-pilot-who-performed-a-flypast-through-tower-bridge-to-mark-rafs-50th-anniversary/

Bear here.....

First Mission?  Ear lowering, followed by yet more MIUABGA - to include more sorting....

In other news:

At last - some common sense; just a shame it's somewhat late and not retrospective:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/toppling-edward-colston-s-statue-not-protected-by-human-rights-judges-rule/ar-AA12mlbs?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8f1483cb7d8e446cbec881e1f81f0b20

I still think they should nick 'em for Fly Tipping and the costs of the damage and recovery operation.  Yep, that's a Rant.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, BoD said:

So what colour tolerance band do you paint on that?

There isn't one for +- 6.3 parts in a million.. (our uncertainty)😀

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The arthritis had gone this morning except for the odd twinge which didn't go any further fortunately. I will still be seeking an appointment with an osteopath with the view of a replacement. Breakfast has been eaten and muggatee will soon be consumed.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Could I give readers a head's up on deeds of assignment and tax repayments? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62939663 is the latest story in the news about it. Money and tax are things I know a little about and I recall this being a problem several years ago. It's not changed. There are many things which could be said about these practices. I shall merely quote Father Ted and say, "Careful now", not to mention, "Down with this [sort of thing]"... 

The answer is to be very careful if presented with a claim form, especially if it is from a company that you have never heard of. When I made my PPI claim I at first went to one of these companies but I didn't fancy handing over 20% of my money to someone doing sweet FA for it. I decided to do it myself so I went on to the banks website where it was all laid out for claimants and I made the claim over the internet. In the end I received almost £4,000. Someone else I know contacted one of these companies and was told there was nothing to come, it makes you wonder if there was and they kept it for themselves.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning All!

13 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Mandatory to have the volume set to 11 to wallow in the beautiful music of 8 Merlins!     

I was fortunate to see the pair of them at Duxford and Old Warden.   

Fabulous stuff.

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Indeed he did but he was making a very important point to those in the "House of those that control us" just up the river, his career was drawing to a close anyway and what a splendid leaving gift 😀

4 hours ago, polybear said:

At last - some common sense; just a shame it's somewhat late and not retrospective:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/toppling-edward-colston-s-statue-not-protected-by-human-rights-judges-rule/ar-AA12mlbs?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8f1483cb7d8e446cbec881e1f81f0b20

I still think they should nick 'em for Fly Tipping and the costs of the damage and recovery operation.  Yep, that's a Rant.

Definitely with the Bear on this one which reminds me of a vaguely related story.

I watched a BBC "Fake or Fortune" programme this morning.  The general gist of it being an old, un-attributed & potential Old Master painting used as an alter piece was given to a  a Glasgow church circa 1850 when it opened.   Most likely given by a wealthy women whose husband got his wealth from his service with the East India Company i.e. via slavery.

Philosophical (not political!)  rhetorical question of the day then;   Because it was given to the church  by a philanthropist who it would appear got her money  essentially from slavery does that / should that immediately condemn that painting to be destroyed.    Well, I know what I think ....

In Other News

Birthday greetings to ER's and spouses of ER's who are celebrating another orbit of our local star.

TTFNQ

Edited by PupCam
Added other news
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Happy Birthday to Mrs GDB and Mrs Baz

Greetings from an LBG where half the sky is blue and half is dark cloud blotting out the sun.

We've submitted all the UK tax returns, which is a whole 34 hours before the deadline.

I'd like to say that I can relax now but there is a whole load of stuff that needs to be done before year end work kicks off in earnest next week. Although the auditors have not yet been in touch, which is interesting. Mind you, they were given a 200+ page document to plough through so maybe that is why.

Enjoy what is left of the day.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Apart from the odd grumble Arthur Itis is behaving himself today, Nurofen is at the ready if he misbehaves himself. Looking forward to this weekend, There is an exhibition on in Southend and whats more it is free entry. The Brentwood toy fair is back the Saturday after so I'm going to need to draw a few modelling tokens, I expect the place will be heaving as there will not be another until the new year.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Normal service has been returned after a hiatus of a perhaps a couple of hours for an "update" that seems to have been unplanned. Page rendering performance is uneven.

14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Time lapse footage of the Hurricane Ian storm surge at Fort Myers.

The causeway and roadway berm next to the bridge to Sanibel Island (from the Fort Myers area) has been completely destroyed. Sanibel Island is a barrier island and popular gulf coast resort area.

I'm not impressed with the following article (CNN actually had better drone footage on television) but it gives the impression:

CNN: Sanibel and Captiva islands cut off from Florida mainland after Ian’s ‘biblical’ storm surge washes away three parts of Sanibel Causeway

The hurricane is reforming in the Atlantic and headed for Charleston as a category 1 storm. Hopefully Dave's   ( @J. S. Bach's ) place is well drained - I imagine he can expect a lot of rain tomorrow and is (I believe) under a tropical storm warning.

I wonder how many cars were destroyed? New cars are essentially unobtainium (largely due to electronics shortages post-pandemic) and used cars have big affordability and availability issues. Florida will probably take a huge number of vehicles out of the market as people replace destroyed vehicles.

Here we had a little rain in the evening. Today is very dark and overcast but there is little more precipitation than a light misting.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

"THAT LAST PASS TENDED TO BE A BIT ON THE LOW SIDE"

Reminded me of a naval aviator (son and grandson of admirals and later a US Senator and presidential candidate) with a sketchy early career as an aviator.

Starting in November 1960, McCain flew Skyraiders with the VA-65 "World Famous Fighting Tigers" squadron on the aircraft carriers USS Intrepid and USS Enterprise. The carriers were based at Naval Station Norfolk and cruised in the Caribbean and in several deployments to the Mediterranean. ...  around December 1961 he collided with power lines while flying recklessly low over southern Spain. The area suffered a power outage, but McCain was able to return his damaged Skyraider to Intrepid.

This caused quite a flap and a bit of an international incident which he wrote about in his book. If I recall correctly, the vertical stabilizer was heavily damaged.

Even before deployment to the Gulf of Tonkin, he lost/damaged three aircraft he piloted. (It probably helped to have highly regarded admirals as his dad and grandad.)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5