The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good idea.

But at the current exchange rate I’d be loosing money. If Chris bought SFr at 1.20 £100 would net him SFr120. If I bought his SFr at the current rate of parity (roughly 1:1 at present exchange rates) then I’d have to pay him £120 for his £100 of Swiss Francs.

Paradoxically, now is the time to buy £ as they are so cheap (stock up for my next 2 or 3 UK trips?)

I was assuming that you would buy them at their current value. If you bought at the market rate  Chris would be several cents per franc better off than exchanging at a High Street shop.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

We might have gone to Haarlem( beautiful station) ............

Did you get to see the Globetrotters too?

Bear here......

An afternoon in the loft - and more on Freecycle.  Progress is progress....

In other news:

It seems the Boss of ITV has moaned to Domino's Pizza cos' they posted (tweeted?) this 🤣

image.png.bc7b87c27df49cd7f0f30b882a125688.png

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

An easy mistake to make:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/crime/watch-texas-couple-shocked-to-receive-small-armory-of-m16s/ar-AA12iIUO?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=aa3016ce86244d66861ff50ebac84e6c

And it seems that the Ar5ehole that murdered Stephen Lawrence has been rumbled taking selfie's in his cell whilst in Prison - with a TV and Games Console in the background.  Just whatever happened to punishment?

It also seems they've installed body scanners for visitors in various (all?) Prisons - and detected 20,000 attempts to smuggle contraband in over the last 2 years.  I bluddy well hope they got nicked for it - but somehow I suspect not (or at least not in any meaningful way).

And finally.....

Bear knows how to sort Poo Tin - it seems there's "a bit of a leak" in a gas pipe coming from Russia.  So put a match to it and blow the whole bluddy country up.  Sorted.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

On Windermere....got buzzed by a Hercles, maybe 100-150 feet! Dambusters stylee under the radar training?

My brother-in-law, who is not at all interested in aircraft, once described an aircraft he had seen fly under the Ballachulish bridge - big, four engines, large vertical tail … I’ve tried to work out clearances at low tide vs height of aircraft and I think it’s just possible.

The RCAF, at least, used to fly Hercs at extremely low level to perform extractions of cargo on pallets using only a drogue parachute. I believe they stopped after a parachute snagged and the aircraft crashed near Edmonton some years ago.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis has been banging away since this morning, co-codamol and Voltarol gel seems  to have no affect at all. The only ease is to lay flat on my back which is not a good idea as I can't do much laying on my back. Time for dinner, lets have a look in the fridge. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

When we first got a mortgage interest rates went up to 15%. We lived on toast and beans gor a while.. no tea or coffee, no trips to a pub... but, somehow we survived and didn't go hungry.. but it was hard.

Bas

Similarly. First mortgage was a fixed-rate so initially paying slightly over the odds. Then interest rates jumped. And jumped again. 15% and very hriefly 19/% (for just a few days iirc) meaning that although I was struggling to pay I was better off than many who had variable-rate loans. 

In other news the carpet-cleaning Upon the Hill of Strawberries has been completed. Three afternoons with the machine and crawling on all fours into corners with the edge-tool. 

Dr. SWMBO called earlier and appeared very happy despite claiming to be exhausted by a very intensive week’s conferencing in Melbourne. 

And an eagle-eyed Gwiwer spotted something amiss with the CIS screens today. Can you spot it?  

836E17DA-0C51-4D79-8385-B115E1BB9C01.jpeg.572b05e3c6142b8ef4cc720fdf79c75b.jpeg

E7B280BB-DFBA-4A65-A7E3-AD6C5A9F861D.jpeg.d48e88343d96f63951027da0a6b01ab6.jpeg

So now it’s time to move on from carpets to cleaning everything else I can find. Starting wirh showering the Gwiwer. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2