The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Call me an old cynic, but there are soft skills and there are soft skills. Too much of the "mandatory training" demanded by a client that I have had to endure over the past few years has been short on content and long on utter b0ll0cks.

You Old Cynic ......

I hadn't realised you'd worked in the aerospace engineering sector!   😀

Alan (another Old Cynic)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, TheQ said:

The Bear has been forbotten to use blue Ink by the Authorities.

I kinda miss the blue text.

Will they allow purple text?  Purple has traditionally been the colour of Emperors, Royalty and the Nobility. And I can't think of more noble personages on RMWeb than the citizens of ER

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I'm colour blind, why have you repeated the same sentence six times?  😉

• Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Moanday arrived far earlier than I'd have liked <yawn> - ooohhh, I like that!

Friday evening, we had friends over and actually prepared a meal! We've spent rather too many of the past several diners with guest result in ordering take-out from various establishments.

Prepared one of our favourites, discovered during the COVID shut-down - Creamy Tuscan Chicken - the "Tuscan" isn't necessarily objective, but who's complaining 😀

Very good time catching up with friends we haven't seen since the beginning of summer for various reasons/excuses.

Saturday, tasked with a variety of chores/challenges, including the latest Mrs home "improvement", adding a picture rail to the living room main wall.

With flexibility and various other key requirements, settled on this -> STAS Cliprail pro looks good, functions extremely well and easy to install, SORTED, more bonus points for yours truly...

Quiet evening to ourselves, especially since I needed to be up early Sunday.

Sunday, off to sing at both the 9AM and 11AM services for St. Francis. Pretty much stood for 4 hours without much of a break <sigh>. My back... arrggghhh...

Then, home, a quick relax and off to collect the remaining patio furniture we were getting from the friends who are moving/downsizing. 

Lastly, a decent evening meal and plenty of wine with those folks, here, because they are almost devoid of "anything" except the basic necessities int eh bedroom/bathroom, having boxed all else up to be taken by the movers in a day or two.

So here we are, Monday! Already called the city to have our new furnace/AC install inspected, scheduled for Friday AM.

Working and will be looking forward to a quiet relaxing evening 🤣

Weekend weather has been cool with lows around 6-8C, highs 15-17C and very windy. Overnight continuing to drop with Wednesday forecast to be 2C <brrr>

Carry on.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

12 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I'm colour blind, why have you repeated the same sentence six times?  😉

Sorry to ruin a good joke, but unless you have Monochromacy/Achromatopsia you will see some colours:

First, normal vision

244346182_Multicolour.jpg.e700e4ebad3dbc3ba916f6b7d5045651.jpg

Monochromatic colour blindness - which occurs (according to a quick Wiki search) about 1 in 30,000 people - so very, very rare...

Monochromatic.jpg.0955cf7d273e71869c6ee24a27a98443.jpg

a more common form of colour blindness

505814590_OneColorBlindness.jpg.e3773b3e6d21f5b04c35054c174a8e95.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

...watching the varnish dry.

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

Transfer of another load of fake weld lines and number plates has received a final coat of varnish.  All being well I will start using them tomorrow.

Toot on the flute a bit iffy. Room temp has dropped to 18oC. Outside 11oC. Flute was cold and took some warming up but also gathered more condensation from blowing than usual, and my hands were cold, too. 🥶 As I said, before, a few steps backward, sometimes...

Just ordered a wool snood for somebody's birthday leaving me with the temptation of getting one for myself as well. It could come in handy down on the trax as it gets colder. I will see if I feel the same tomorrow before ordering. 🥶

Gone dark again, rain stopped, a bit breezy.

Some good news has just entered my Inbox. Background - beginning of the year our NHS Dentist moved away leaving us without a dentist. Not to worry, one was recommended by a friend, albeit private. I had a couple of sessions with her. Then the practice closed. No dentist. Ray found out a new one is setting up, to open shortly. Filled in the online form, and hey presto, we are now registered with them.  Hoping it will not be too long before we hear from them.

🤞

That deserves a mugadecaf.

Be good, be patient... !!!

Polly

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Northroader said:

?????

87165F2D-97C7-4A34-9C03-F7A89699A54D.jpeg.b0536da069d216b46b0260981ee52346.jpeg

We've been splatted.....

4 hours ago, PeterBB said:

c) is the one that especially causes the problems in terms of how much they can be paid.  MV normally have qualified by the apprentice route and definitely have the skills but not all are able to pass on information and will not take 'guidance' on the manner in which they approach students (even although how some of them get enrolled was/is sometimes a mystery (£sd is the college need as compared with schools they are insufficently appropriately funded and pay still lags far behind that of the schools).

Bear recalls an incident at the last College where we had a M.E. Group; the MV Workshop was next to the Machine Shop and so we got to see the Tutor there from time to time.  One particular day he'd really had enough - he told a couple of kids what to do on a car and when he came back they'd obviously been p1ssin' about and made a mess of it.  So he tried again - twice, in fact.  Eventually he lost all patience with them and told 'em straight - something along the lines of "FFS stop p1ssin' about before one of you gets hurt, start listening and start working - otherwise you'll be out".  What happened?  They complained to the College Principal - and he had to apologise to them.

Not long after that he told 'em to p0ke the job and he walked - and he'd been there a very long time and was very good.

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Given your confessed tech skills I assume that is a yellow sticky note stuck to your screen  with "clean the top of the cupboard every 6 months" written on it?

No - the real deal, in fact - Puppers would be proud (if not amazed).  I currently have 30 active Reminders on the list to clear (and a lot, lot more not yet active cos' they haven't reached their date yet).  The oldest Reminder still to do is 395 days old.  Oops. 

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I kinda miss the blue text.

Will they allow purple text?  Purple has traditionally been the colour of Emperors, Royalty and the Nobility. And I can't think of more noble personages on RMWeb than the citizens of ER

Perhaps we could all have a different colour.....🤣

Bear here......

I received an email today from the 'bay offering a deal on charges when selling items - so this afternoon has been a mad rush of identifying, photographing and listing items - with more to do.  It seems the deal expires at midnight, hence the rush.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. He's hiding at the moment but Arthur Itis keeps popping his head up but Nurofen keeps him in place. This afternoon I popped down to Tess Coes and there I bumped into a gent I hadn't seen since before lockdown so we spent about fifteen minutes catching up.

• Friendly/supportive 19

38 minutes ago, polybear said:

Perhaps we could all have a different colour ...

I will confess to not understanding why management would insist, but I find the standard font easier to read than bolded blue.

It is nice to have colour options for emphasis from time to time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I'm not sure I follow how this boggles, other than the manufacturer's branding. I have a pair of long kitchen tongs* and thoroughly recommend them. I bought them for flipping thin slices (of things like ham or bacon) in a frying pan. They are incredibly useful and I use them all the time - much more often that I thought I would.

* They don't have the additional integral 'handle' illustrated.

I also have some smaller bamboo tongs with which I retrieve toast from the toaster - non-conductive and very handy - great for things like (English) muffins or even bagels that do not appear above the toaster even when they pop up.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, PupCam said:

There are so many people with real disabilities not being able to see red tulips against a green hedge sort of pales into insignificance doesn't it! 

…. and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12