The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. No books have been purchased for a while, I still have too many to sell. I am being ruthless about clearing some space - despite being over a year since I cleared the last bits from my mother's house, I've not had much luck at selling these, whether books, furniture or other bits. Those with long memories might recall what I was forced into to deal with some of the larger pieces of furniture. It's not as though I'm asking a fortune for the bits either. Grumpy time... 

Some old papers have been destroyed over the last week or so. I tend not to shred but burn these. As any good supervillain knows (but probably keeps rather quiet about) shredded papers can be reassembled with the right tech. As I don't have easy access to large quantities of acid, burning is the other reliable way to ensure no-one else can find out about your plans for world domination or your weekly shopping list, depending on the nature of your household... 

When I was a student, food was another learning curve. The first year was a shared kitchen, which caused problems when all eight of us wanted to use it at the same time. A few households I knew got on well enough to share the cooking and have communal meals but the university housing team had put the eight of us together when we didn't have a lot in common, so that didn't happen for us. Then I had two years living by myself and the culinary skills developed fairly quickly. The fourth year saw me go back to a shared kitchen (though with only three of us, the pressure was off and we did some communal cooking/dining). 

In terms of dishes, certain ERs may wish to look away now - as I did make frequent use of baked beans. Not the 4p per can version that some used but better quality ones. Nor did I have chips that often, I tended to buy a large bag of potatoes most weeks and work through jacket potatoes and boiled and roasted. If I cut carrots, parsnips and onions into suitable sized pieces to allow for different cooking rates, I could make myself a boiled veg mix to add to eggs, cheese, fish and/or meat using only one saucepan, which was sometimes useful or even essential. Fruit varied but was heavy on currants and sultanas. Meals were often unconventional but tasty enough and not desperately unhealthy. 

I did make plentiful use of sandwiches, probably a bit too much, especially on days out. Wholemeal bread though, not the cheapo white sliced version. While I was there, Kwik-Save ran an offer for a cheap white loaf at something like 3p each - only to find that as well as some students buying a couple of loaves each, the local farmers descended on them with their Ifor Williams livestock trailers and would literally fill these with the bread and use it as animal feed for their sheep. It made quite a story in the local paper. Until they limited the number that could be bought by one person, the vast majority of sales were to farmers. Trailer-full of bread bach? That'll be £6.50... 

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Today, I am about to do something that I (may) have never done before. That is throw out (in the tip as you say over there) a complete book (INSIDE THE THIRD REICH/Albert Speer); it is complete but broken into many separate parts and very difficult to read.

No problem actually, a good copy is arriving in today's mail.

EDIT: It just arrived a few minutes ago!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a typo correction and add some information.
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis made a surprise attack this morning and is still hanging around. The arthritis isn't as bad as it was a few days ago so hopefully if the predicted dry spell happens it will ease off. Very sorry to hear about Brian, it makes it more surprising that there was no indication of anything wrong although I believe he was in his late seventies, perhaps some more information will be forthcoming.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

We had a nice day out at Oxbrough Hall today. We did our outside walk when it was raining and went on guided tour inside while it was dry. Excellent tour by the way. They no longer let visitors enter the priesthole after an unfortunate panic attack a few years ago. Not a good time for someone to experience claustrophobia it would seem, and it took some cleaning up afterwards. 
Tony

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I’m about to indulge in a steak and haggis pie.  The pastry looks very nice so hopefully the rest of it will be too.  No doubt I will suffer a bit of indigestion later. I hope it’s worth it.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Evening All,

Sad news about Brian and glad to hear Beth is a bit better.

All I can remember about food whilst at uni was cheese and beetroot sarnies for dinner(lunch) and frozen chicken stir fry for tea.(Obviously warmed before eating!) I must have eaten other things but just can’t remember but this may be the reason why I never eat cheese and beetroot sarnies now.. Always lived very close to campus so went home for dinner, couldn’t and still can’t abide waiting in queues   for food.

I always have breakfast, especially when I’m going out  as I can’t always be sure to get anything gluten free whilst out.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

54 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I stayed in one place for my 3 years at the University of Leeds - Lupton Flats in Headingley. 5  people shared a kitchen and fridge. A lot of different  items were prepared and eaten as we were a very mixed bunch. Once I got some cooking utensils etc sorted out I did a roast meat +veg meal every Sunday (meat fresh from Leeds Market). Always went down well. Occasionally we would have Malaysian food, or Jewish food or.. Pie and mash(!).

I managed to avoid Kentucky Fried Rat but did have fish from  St Michaels Fisheries .. is this the one you used to frequent @The Lurker? An occasional "Bake and Break (really Bake and Take!) " would be had after drinking Tetleys Mild in the Original Oak.

During the Rugby season booze was only allowable after the games on Wednesday and Saturday.  Rest of the week we were abstemious. 

I never became a member of  "DREGS"  (Drunken Regular Engineers Gallon Society). This meant having 8 pints in the pub opposite the Engineering Block at Lunchtime, return to Lectures then another gallon late afternoon/evening.

Lunch times could include pie and peas at the Refectory (cheap), or Fish and Chips from "Sweaty Betties" opposite the Engineering Department. The Cafe in the Department itself sold hot pies, sandwiches etc.. all good cheap student sustenance!

Of course we did visit various Curry Houses (some of which were a lot dodgy!)

BAz

A quick google suggests it was North Lane Fisheries - 56 North Lane, Headingley.

I think the Kaghan Valley curry house was in St Michael’s Lane, and Corner Cafe moved just down the road from where I lived in Burley Road, on the way home from the Fox and Newt. I also liked the Maharajah on Royal Park Road and the Golden Harvest at the bottom end of Kingsley Park Terrace. We avoided Slammers and Nafees.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I had haggis once, I would definitely like to try it again.

Mrs ID, surprisingly for a Swiss, absolutely loves haggis.

In fact, as I will be in Edinburgh at the beginning of October, I have been instructed in no uncertain terms to return with a number of haggis for the fridge and freezer.

Our “standard” haggis dinner is haggis, mashed potato and swede (“tatties and neeps“), a green vegetable – either cabbage or Brussels sprouts and a whisky cream sauce which is sometimes prepared with mushrooms as well (not forgetting a “wee dram“ of uisge beatha to toast… well anything really [if you have to have  an excuse to have a wee dram])

Apart from the haggis, I have also been instructed to bring back pork pies and sausages. Clearly, Mrs ID is a woman of impeccable taste and refinement, singling out as she does those items – such as haggis, the humble bangers and pork pies - which are the very epitome of British Culinary Excellence.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Very sorry to hear about Brian, it makes it more surprising that there was no indication of anything wrong although I believe he was in his late seventies, perhaps some more information will be forthcoming.

I had the impression Brian was perhaps a decade older than that, sharing wartime memories of Plymouth (if I'm not mistaken) here. Like many, he and his spouse were largely shut-in during the pandemic, exacerbated by his hip.

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

28 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

In fact, as I will be in Edinburgh

Clearly, Mrs ID is a woman of impeccable taste and refinement, singling out as she does those items – such as haggis, the humble bangers and pork pies - which are the very epitome of British Culinary Excellence.

Forget ‘bangers’! If you’re going to be in Edinburgh, instead of those, you should be buying ‘slice’ (if you don’t know it, look it up). Ideally ‘square slice’, otherwise known as Lorne sausage.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I remember a number of things that sustained me whilst in graduate school in the US, but strangely enough nothing involving vegetables. Grad school staples (which were a bit more ambitious than the average cos I could eat at the hospital canteen) included:

• Pork BBQ and coleslaw

Can't make coleslaw without cabbage! Perhaps you had a lot of coleslaw*? 😉

Not exactly the healthiest way to get your vegetables in. No doubt the dressing contains sweeteners of some kind. I remember a two ingredient coleslaw dressing 'recipe' in Australia that was condensed milk and vinegar.

* Just so long as there are no raisins/sultanas in the coleslaw.  There are also many so-called 'tropical' versions with raisins, pineapple and shredded coconut - often suggested alongside Jamaican jerk chicken, rice/beans and mofongo (plantains).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, pH said:

Forget ‘bangers’! If you’re going to be in Edinburgh, instead of those, you should be buying ‘slice’ (if you don’t know it, look it up). Ideally ‘square slice’, otherwise known as Lorne sausage.

Or brown sausage as opposed to white sausage (normal bangers) which was the choice last time we stayed in Edinburgh 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

RIP Brian.

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Rather as I had feared. Thank you David for letting us know.

@brian usa was indeed from Gig Harbor (a lovely place in the Puget Sound) and gave us regular reports on the wildlife in his garden. I believe he hailed from (or at least lived in) Plymouth when young. He was an enthusiastic collector of vintage Hornby tinplate and ran them on a layout - at one point. He had shared that was recovering from hip surgery during much of the pandemic.

Like many departed ERs, he will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Bear remembers two sadly departed RMwebbers in particular:  Bertiedog (who's posts were always very informative) - who sadly seemed to suddenly stop posting and we heard no more (well I guess that's kinda difficult) and, more recently, Gordon S of Eastwood Town fame (sadly Gordon's thread has been badly affected by the loss of photographs).

edit:  Bear actually had an invite to Gordon's to collect a couple of "Brilliant Baseboards" kits that were surplus to requirements that he very kindly was going to give to me (I have some already) and also to see Eastwood Town.  Unfortunately the dreaded C-19 was in full swing so we were holding off until it calmed down a bit - but Gordon suffered ill-health and the meet-up was never to be 🙁

23 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Back from Scaleforum - not as many people as I expected.

How was the parking situation?  I do wonder why the change from Stoke Mandeville as a venue, which I find to be excellent.

In other news....

Yet more sorting, including listing on the 'bay and also Freecycle.  Progress is, well, progress.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

RIP Brian

19 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

It's like being next to a boy racers Ford Fiesta for 3 hours

Or maybe Old Boy Bimblers on AJS350s  🤣

I was reminded of this via Faceache today.     A thrash (well, 40mph) down the A10 to Ware just after I got it 5 years ago.

570703562_AJSAppreciation.jpg.9c5a052d742907eb97df804160d278a9.jpg

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 12

31 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

* Just so long as there are no raisins/sultanas in the coleslaw.  There are also many so-called 'tropical' versions with raisins, pineapple and shredded coconut - often suggested alongside Jamaican jerk chicken, rice/beans and mofongo (plantains).

We have ‘coronation coleslaw’ and ‘coleslaw with cheese’ which we do by quite frequently.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1