The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear received a sn.......sorry, I meant decree from Management......🙁

Tis' like Pizza without the chips......

WHAT!?!?

What was given as the reason? It’s hardly as though they are going to run out of blue ink, is it?  I’ve checked the forum rules and nothing is stated there about font size, colour or type. Furthermore, if such things were not (perhaps it is now “formerly”) allowed, why give posters the option of choosing font size, colour and type?

Of course a small minority of people do not see blue (Tritanomaly or Tritanopia), but by far the most common form of colorblindness is congenital red-green colorblindness (Daltonism)  - but either type of coloublindness  would affect how such individuals view RMWeb as a whole - and not just posts in cyan or blue font (furthermore, afflicted individuals are likely to have made use of a number of Windows/Apple settings to help people with visual impairment).

Of course, there’s another possible reason, upon which I will not speculate for fear of being put on the “naughty step”

p.s. What about purple font? Tis the colour of emperors.

p.p.s. Pizza SHOULD always be without chips - even tha pineapple and ham abomination. Pizza with Chips? Only in Britain (perhaps the French are right about the British culinary  environment?)

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Barry O said:

Posting on the Night Mail rather than ERs does show that all is not well on ERs.

I’m still here and looking in.  It’s not the content at all, just the sheer volume. Of both threads really, but less so the Night Mail.  

Trouble is, if you miss a couple of days for whatever reason,  there can be several pages to catch up.  I do try but it’s not always possible.  That leads to feeling that I don’t want to  jump in and contribute as much as I once did as I may not be up to date with goings on and I may not be able to follow up before more pages have appeared and things have moved on by several topics.  I have reduced my use of social media a little of late so with me it’s a case of ERs being a victim of its own success.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi had her seasonal Covid jab (Moderna latest version) last Sunday. She was asked if she would like her flu jab as well.

My physician is offering the new bi-valent CoViD vaccine and Flu' shots. It has to be a minimum of two months since the last shot. Even though I only qualify by a few weeks, I scheduled mine for a week from today. Pretty much everything that is circulating is post-Omicron and I don't think the earlier jabs have much efficacy against infection (though they should be helpful for serious illness/ hospitalization).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Sounds good - but remember, Bear never bears a grudge........🤣**

(See what I did there?)

**Actually I do take things "to heart" far, far more than is good for me - things can prey on my bonce for days or weeks afterwards, and sometimes come back to get me years afterwards as well.  If only I had a selective delete button....

Well, that's probably nicer than Bear baring a grudge... 😉

On a more serious note, re **, I think that's one of the problems we (both as individuals and as a species) have with online communications. We miss so many of the non-verbal cues which tell us whether 'Fred' is serious, joking or so p*ssed out of his mind so he isn't really responsible for what he says, it's so easy to get hold of the wrong end of the stick. And take it personally. I'm afraid I don't know what the solution is. Apart from more meetings face to face down the pub ... 😇 ...

39 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

.... p.p.s. Pizza SHOULD always be without chips - even the pineapple and ham abomination. Pizza with Chips? Only in Britain (perhaps the French are right about the British culinary  environment?)

Whatever happened to allowing the odd guilty pleasure? Were you educated by Jesuits by any chance? I feel a splinter group of the culinary division of the Judean People's Front might have something to say about certain ecumenical matters... 

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

On a more serious note, re [online upsets], I think that's one of the problems we (both as individuals and as a species) have with online communications. We miss so many of the non-verbal cues which tell us whether 'Fred' is serious, joking or so p*ssed out of his mind so he isn't really responsible for what he says, it's so easy to get hold of the wrong end of the stick. And take it personally. I'm afraid I don't know what the solution is. Apart from more meetings face to face down the pub

This is very, very accurate.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis woke up this afternoon and the Nurofen is just kicking in. Mention of Tannerite reminded me of this.  https://eu.azcentral.com/videos/embed/82236326/ very lucky not to get a Darwin award.

This is a particular favourite - at least they appear to be doing it sensibly (kinda) and are a loooooong way off:

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

p.p.s. Pizza SHOULD always be without chips - even tha pineapple and ham abomination. Pizza with Chips? Only in Britain (perhaps the French are right about the British culinary  environment?)

Lasize, May 2014:

Pizza with chips (well ISTR it was probably something like Patate al Forno on the menu) on top of the Pizza.  OK, so it was Lake Garda and a Tourist area - tasted pretty good to this Bear....

Oh yes, and Gorgonzola Cheese too 😄

IMG_6213.JPG.b8d187eda0ae37324b5142412a09bb49.JPG

• Like 16

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

We seem to have lost a lot of contributors to the ER thread. I wonder why?

Perhaps @grandadbob, [et al] and others could say if there is something we need to do to bring back some of our missing contributors?

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Posting on the Night Mail rather than ERs does show that all is not well on ERs. Night Mail was set up to include trains.. as the location of ERs is not an area for full time discussions on model railways. 

Baz, I have some thoughts (which I'm not going to share, because I don't think they would necessarily be helpful) except for one, related to @grandadbob where I think the constant ribbing over minor injury was a bit much.

I appreciate this thread. It has been very helpful to me when my other source of socialization (employment) was removed from me. At one point I took some time off because someone took (unintended) offence to something I said - along the lines, I think, of @The White Rabbit's "more serious note" comment.

These sort of threads can be very cliquey - with long-term adverse affects regarding broad and diverse membership. (A good example of this was the inside-joke references to Telford all over prior incarnations of RMweb.)

I stayed here when The Night Mail began (even though I understand and sympathize with the motivations for that thread) because I didn't see the 'need' the same way - but they're all related to interpersonal behaviours amplified by the power of the printed (rather than spoken) word.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Our new bear (who has a blue top, funnily enough) has told us he prefers to be known as Scripps, rather than Bernie, more Bear-like apparently.

Perhaps Bernie sorry, Scripps actually wants to be named after Scripps' Cousin Claude and is trying to break it to you gently.......

Whatever the outcome, naming a Bear is a serious matter that requires care.  We need photos, of course......

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Perhaps Bernie sorry, Scripps actually wants to be named after Scripps' Cousin Claude and is trying to break it to you gently.......

Whatever the outcome, naming a Bear is a serious matter that requires care.  We need photos, of course......

Scripps has stuck now, he seems happy.  I'll try to sort a photo, bit awkward on holiday.  Claude is our nephew's campervan....so that's out.  Scripps isn't a scruff either!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Baz, I have some thoughts (which I'm not going to share, because I don't think they would necessarily be helpful) except for one, related to @grandadbob where I think the constant ribbing over minor injury was a bit much.

Maybe, but as GDB worked for many years in a Builder's Merchants I suspect he's made of much sterner stuff......

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Rose early this morning, over to Yorkshire for the day, Skipton to be exact - one day rental of a small narrowboat.

How hard can it be - no locks, small 4 person boat and a sky full of sun.

They did not mention the bridges until the orientation, we thought they said there were three, what they actually said was there are three types and a whole heap of them between Skipton and the three hours or so distance we could cover before turning back.

Do you know how hard it is to stop a boat, tie it up and then swing a road bridge made of steel and concrete by hand (first open and then back to the closed position).  Also learnt - I can steer a boat no problem but as soon as I need to interface with the towpath to disembark for said bridges it all goes to pot.  Mrs W drives a car better than I do, but can she steer a boat, absolutely not, she can do an unexpected u-turn though which was at exactly the right time for all the wrong reasons.

Anyway, it was an experience, we won't repeat it but we met the challenge, didn't damage the boat, got a full day out of it and didn't fall out.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

My Dad has my Great Grandads clock he got when he retired as chemist at Glasshoughton coke plant in the early 50's. As I type this I realise that the clock is probably older now than he was when he retired. The clock doesnt run as its chime would wake the dead it was known as the "blasted clock"

Scripps could be Bernie or Vernon 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

We have been trying to date the clock, if Nigel finds anything on the movement that'll do it, but it is obviously pre-war (2).  Grandad died when I was a toddler and I'm 63 ('59 model), so he had been retired for years then.

Scripps is just Scripps - or in bearspeak, one of those roars that Paddington did.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

All locks on the Leeds and Liverpool are closed due to the drought conditions, gotta feel for anyone stuck to the west of Skipton, they cannot move.  The one day hire is not insured for lock navigations, thank goodness.

Shame but it has always been short of water. The locks are OK, the bridges are a real P1ta.

I worked the paddles/gates on the 5 rise and 3 rise once on holiday .. the lock keeper and I did the work. The wife steered our boat as she went down the licks and later when wevwent back up in company with another hire boat, the other boats crew were told to keep inside and do as they were told by the lock keeper. Hard work but boy... what a view!.

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1