The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

tower model (remember those

I bought one last year. Modern desktops don't have floppy or optical drives. It doesn't even have traditional hard drives either, all solid state.  Something inside is incredibly heavy though. Also unlike the old towers it is all curvy. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Barry O said:

Youngest Herbert always pays money back..its part of his training by mum and dad..  

Baz

Our daughter announced one day that she was grown up as she had her own page in the debt book. All three of them cleared their debts in due course.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I know its late but there's a lot to catch up with.

3 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Another smelly place I visited back in the early 90s was in Burton - a client printed labels. Next door on one side was Bass Brewers, on the other the Marmite factory. A quick google suggests that they are still there.

I grew up in Romford and when the the brewery emptied out the grains the whole town stank. I didn't mind but a lot of people hated it.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

Evening All,

Didnt sleep well last night,,too much rain banging down on the tin roof.

On smells, there is an abattoir near where we live and it absolutely stinks, especially in the summer. There are a couple of houses next to it and they seem to be constantly on the housing market. I couldnt work in a place like that.

Goodnight from the Lake District.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Earlier this evening I tried to contact my friend but his phone isn't being answered. A bit worrying as his lad should have been back in school today so he should be at home. Its a bit too late to call him now but I'll try his mobile in the morning.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I grew up in Romford and when the the brewery emptied out the grains the whole town stank

I know that smell. When I very briefly worked in Romford it was rather disrespectfully said to emanate from the underwear of young females from the Hillrise Estate.  Or from Dagenham if actually in conversation with a Hillrise resident!  

In other news I grew up in Newlyn. The smell varied according to the state of the tide and the temperature but walking past the harbour and fish market every day for school certainly trained ones’ stomach. The sight of fish guts and the red-stained wash-out from the gutting floor also served to harden resistance to aromatic localities. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

My clients are really not happy with me using anything other than Microsoft office. It has to be Microsoft Office and Windows 10/11 Professional as many of my clients’ security protocols are built around the Microsoft professional platform.

Last time I looked Microsoft Office default format is  basically an open  XML file, unless things have changed since 2015 when I spent a fair bit of time writing parsing scripts to get it to import into US defence targeting and intel software we were shoe-horning into the RAAF network. (Actually its a zipped file of .xml to be technical.)

.xml is just .xml, you should be able to create it on whatever you feel like, security packages will just see it as .xml, not where it came from. 

A format is a format is a format! as my Systems Integration  teacher used to say.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Modern desktops don't have floppy or optical drives.

In twenty years time we won’t recognise the technology at all…

… but I bet they are still using the floppy disk as the save icon.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3

25 minutes ago, BoD said:

In twenty years time we won’t recognise the technology at all…

… but I bet they are still using the floppy disk as the save icon.

The US defence department didnt fully phase out floppy disks in its nuclear defence systems until 2015 - 2019.  The RAAF ( and assume the RAF etc) has to do a fair bit of jiggling of  US defence sourced software to get it to recognise and  use media other than magnetic  tapes etc.

The Japanese government last week announced a programme to finally transition from floppy disc storage on its older systems. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The US defence department didnt phase out floppy disks in its nuclear defence systems until 2015 - 2019.  The RAAF ( and assume the RAF etc) has to do a fair bit of jiggling of  US defence sourced software to get it to recognise and  use media other than tapes etc.

The Japanese government last week announced a programme to finally transition from floppy disc storage on its older systems. 

The government and military are involved?

Give it fifty years then.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I finished my article this afternoon and emailed the latest draft to the editor, hopefully it won’t need anything else doing to it. But, as this is a first for me, I’m open to suggestions to make it more easy to read by the lay person. 

Back in the early 60’s we used to live not far from the Manchester Ship Canal, which at that time was very busy. On hot summer days, the thick engine oil and waste used to stink something awful. It didn’t look very nice either, with all that rubbish floating in the thick black oil! On New Year’s Eve all the boats used to blast their hooters at midnight! 

It was just chuckinitdarn here a few minutes ago, but it seems to have stopped for now, I’m glad I didn’t water the plants tonight. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

live not far from the Manchester Ship Canal

In 1990 Sandy and I attainded a symposium in Salford University on water, and one of the speakers' subject was the meaning of the Manchester Ship Canal because drains in Manchester were all unmapped and many just discharged into the canal. With no flow the waste collected.

The speaker mentioned  'fecal rafts' as one of the hazards.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

I finished my article this afternoon and emailed the latest draft to the editor, hopefully it won’t need anything else doing to it. But, as this is a first for me, I’m open to suggestions to make it more easy to read by the lay person. 

Back in the early 60’s we used to live not far from the Manchester Ship Canal, which at that time was very busy. On hot summer days, the thick engine oil and waste used to stink something awful. It didn’t look very nice either, with all that rubbish floating in the thick black oil! On New Year’s Eve all the boats used to blast their hooters at midnight! 

It was just chuckinitdarn here a few minutes ago, but it seems to have stopped for now, I’m glad I didn’t water the plants tonight. 

I remember that. We used to wait up to listen to it. Passing of an era when it finished.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1