The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I remember seeing a full size one like that approaching a jetty when we were on holiday in Italy. The chap steering it had no idea.  I don’t know how many times he rammed the jetty. I winced at every impact. We were sitting in a cafe watching. 

• Like 11

Just now, PhilJ W said:

That’s a nice boat, Phil.

If I recall correctly they were first built in the 60s by the Italians (I think initially for use on the Italian lakes) they were favoured by all the American movie stars who were shooting films at Cinecitta in Rome and holidaying in the Italian lakes. A descendent of this boat is still being made today and still being made with precious woods, fine leather and much attention to detail – although nowadays the engines installed are rather pedestrian diesel engines and not the high performance engines of the 60s, 70s or 80s.

Just now I found a used one advertised for sale (one of five such boats on sale) for $846,000 – the other four boats were “call for price

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Bit of an unpleasant start this morning: on the way to get coffee in the kitchen, my right leg gave way (it happens occasionally - due to the arthrosis of the hip) and I went flying: shattering my "rather large" coffee mug (fortunately empty at the time) and landing on Schotty's metal food bowl stand (which I managed to bend out of shape!). Fortunately, I manged to land on the thickest part of my gluteus maximus. So I'm bruised and sore from the fall (mostly the GM but also lower back) but otherwise unharmed (or so it appears). The coffee mug was a write-off, but I managed to bend the metal food bowl stand (more or less) back into shape. I'll need some assistance in fully straightening it out (and it'll never be quite the same).

Whilst feeling sorry for myself I indulged in some retail therapy - well replacing the mug actually (and adding a few things extra to make the order worth while) and I was contemplating adding a beginners wooden ship model; however the Amazon "selection" (on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de and Amazon.it) was pretty bad (or to use the old fashioned Latin term: stercus, stercus, stercus). Undeterred I went to a "proper" model ship shop - flaming ada: I thought O Gauge brass models were expensive! One model of the HMS Victory costs a solid £1059 (https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/caldercraft-hms-victory/).

One particular manufacturer, Amati Models (an Italian company) makes some beautiful boat & ship kits, but surprisingly their most expensive kit is this little beauty: https://store.amatimodel.com/en/railways-models-by-amati/product-orient-express-sleeping-car-n3533-lx-b171401.html and as much I'd love to have one (in a nice display case) I certainly won't be able to sneak £689 worth of 1/32 railwayana past Mrs iD. Apparently, according to reviews, the only drawback of the model is that it is designed to be a static model - so the bogies would need attention to convert it into a running model.

Still, I consoled myself by acquiring one of these:

64902383_RomanTrireme.jpg.4fc76545ef9a303a1cf8eb3c1ba40c8b.jpg

Should be a fun build!

Off to take a pink pill or two - enjoy the day

iD

I presume that the galley will be used by Capain Cynical as a punishment  posting for minions who step out of line. Hevof course would be the las wielding overseer.

35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

We’ll have to sea how the build goes. I hope the instructions are good, without instructions one is quite rudderless, but with good instructions it’s just plain sailing. Obviously, I will have to be quite stern with myself and keep on an even keel with my construction progress. Although I am a fairly experienced modeller, I haven’t built many ships (in fact none) but if there are any experienced model shipbuilders on ER, I would be happy to bow to their superior knowledge - assuming they are willing to funnel any of their expertise in my direction (and if they are anywhere near my neighbourhood, I would be more than happy to share a glass of port with them. I am easy to find - just near monkey island)
p.s. I think I’d better wear clean sports shoes when making this model, I don’t want to leave any plimsoll lines

Despite the punning frenzy it makes me want to unpack my Bilings Cutty Sark, which resides in it's own specially buily packing case. I did quite a bit of boat modelling at one time. However there are railway models to finish first.

Jamie

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I presume that the galley will be used by Capain Cynical as a punishment  posting for minions who step out of line. He of course would be the lash wielding overseer..

Captain Cynical doesn’t “do” overseeing
I have a “little man” to do that for me.

I never get my hands dirty, not because I can’t or won’t, but simply because of plausible deniability…

Captain Cynical

p.s. You’ve actually given me an idea, Jamie. “Corrective physical activity incorporating mandatory ethnicity and gender orientation awareness training“ – it could be the next big business trend, I’ll get my subsidiary CCI Business Solutions to flog it to large American companies like Netflix or Disney….I should make millions*

p.p.s. * I might need to build a few more trireme galleys

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

the 60s by the Italians (I think initially for use on the Italian lakes)

We were on one of the  islands on Lake Maggiore the day (August 87 I think) we saw the one being bumped. It had an Italian flag and a Swiss one. The occupants were shouting in Italian. 
We saw quite a few similar boats when we went to Lake Como more recently. However on that holiday we travelled on the regular timetabled boat service. Though we did have one unplanned trip on the hydrofoil. Thanks to my misreading of the timetable there were only stopping everywhere boats with lots of changes to get back to our hotel. But I worked out we could catch a hydrofoil (paid a small supplement), go all the way to Como and get a boat back a couple of stops to our hotel.This saved a couple of hours. I do remember on the last leg of the trip there was a young American standing near us making a YouTube video. As a couple of drops of spray came over, he was making it sound as if we were in a Force 10 in the Atlantic. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Ah.. a Riva.. Vickers (Rolls Royce motors) bought the company. Technically a great boat.. financially.. a basket case. The Company was brought round by sorting our finances. They made a lot of money building a "cruiser" for a German sex film magnet.. the bedroom was all black and white red leather..

Baz

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

Trolleys unloaded,

Spinny thingy side mounts made and one motor support.

Ben took me an his long walk.. The small holder has moved half a dozen cattle into a field along side his walk. Herefords or a Hereford mix.

Ben didn't notice as they were down wind and there was a strong breeze off the sea.

Thoughts on spinny thingy wiring were being considered while a wandering, when a sudden thought for wiring up some special effects on Tiree appeared in brain..

It is time I started considering how I'm going to interlink the the trolleys, and sub modules electrically. The one rule I'll be following, is KISS.

Time to think of robust connectors.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Afternoon all. Hope all are well, best wishes for those suffering. iD hope you're not too sore for too long and Baz hope your family member has some good news soon.

Nothing much really to report. Another day where I'm feeling decidely achy with my back and too hot most of the time.

Another quet day resting I expect today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ah.. a Riva.. Vickers (Rolls Royce motors) bought the company. Technically a great boat.. financially.. a basket case.

I just had a look to see how much a trip round Lake Como in a Riva boat costs. 2400 Euro for a 6 hour trip. Somewhat more than the hydrofoil! 

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Sorry @polybear, I can't do it today I'm washing my hair 😂

We'll have to do it another time.

Good luck finding it.....

Now don't go worrying yourself over the $93B price tag - we'll all stand down until Vidal Baboon has worked it's magic on your curly locks.

It now seems that Bear ain't going nowhere today - the so-called "Engineers" can't fix the bluddy thing;  if there's anyone with an HNC that can roll up and show these Graduate Types what a spanner is then feel free....🤣

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Puppers  is deeply puzzled.    Why not just buy it now and then you'll have it and all the carpet will be the same age and in the same condition when you come to fit it.   The chance of it being cheaper in n months time is slim, the chance of lack of availability high and the difference between old and new guaranteed!

Bear already has a couple of on-line carpet supplier websites on standby - I'll be on the blower tomorrow to find out the cost per metre, cos their s0ddin' websites say "Call for Price" 🤬  (Don't you just HATE it when they do that??)

In any event Bear will need to get a Carpet Fitter in to measure up professionally first, to ensure my calculations are correct - I don't want to shell out ££ and then he tells me "your carpet is 6 inches too short...."

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Undeterred I went to a "proper" model ship shop - flaming ada: I thought O Gauge brass models were expensive! One model of the HMS Victory costs a solid £1059 (https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/caldercraft-hms-victory/).

Bear's first (and most excellent) Boss was into ship models (he'd built a few plank-on-frame), including a desire for Corel's Victory; this is 1:96 and a LOT cheaper.  He never did though, because he was under no illusions that you'd need to be at "Expert" standard to pull it off.

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Morning 

We are having a later start this morning before assembling more Billy bookcases.

@polybear if you have to plane/cut more off the bottom off the door you can always put a piece of softwood batten in at the bottom of the door. Me and my Grandad had to do this at my parents house for the small cupboard under the stairs. Some c*ckwomble had cut down a normal interior door then fitted it upside down therefore the "lock" side was on the hinge side and they wondered why they had to fasten a bit of skirting board to the back of the door so the handle would stay attached.

We cut down a new door and then added a softwood batten as a fillet between the stiles then planed to appropriate.

The problem is that Manufacturers don't like you taking oodles (or even much more than "a little bit") off doors for fear of weakening them.  I had a measure of other doors in Bear Towers this morning and discovered that the bathroom door (similar construction to the intended Lounge Door) has been reduced to 76.75" - so a lounge door of 77.25" should be fine (I hope...).

**The bathroom door is also subject to humidity extremes.

I do have a door upstairs that's been reduced to 76", though that's a pine door rather than a hollow panel door.

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Despite the punning frenzy it makes me want to unpack my Billings Cutty Sark, which resides in it's own specially built packing case. I did quite a bit of boat modelling at one time. However there are railway models to finish first.

Bear spots a problem here....Railway Modellers are never finished...

In other news....

A Silver Plated Photo Frame arrived from the 'bay - and it had a small scratch on it.  Turdycurses.  So that's going back and a replacement has been ordered.

Then it was TV planning time - I had a short list of three (two Samsung and one LG, with the LG being a Which? Magazine "like").  But when I looked today I discovered that the two Samsung had increased in price since I last looked just a few days ago 😡 - one by sixty quid and the other by seventy quid 🤬🤬  Bluddy Piggin' Turdycurses.  That's just taking the wee wee.  That now makes them £499 and £549, with the LG being £450.....

So it looks like Mr. Samsung can go foxtrot.  Their loss.  The money saved will purchase a Sony Sound bar that has rather good reviews.  I plan to order very shortly - it seems that local JL don't have the telly in stock to collect.  Ar5ebadgers.

Then it was time to go thru' all the on-line C-19 vouchers I have saved on the laptop to see which ones were (a) valid, (b) not duplicates and (c) haven't already been spent; that little exercise took "quite a while" - but was well worthwhile cos' the total came to a tad under 300 notes, so that's a good lump off the JL Bill.  Good 'ol Boris.....🤣

Right, time to continue MIUABGA.....

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

A wise choice sir given the minimal rigging!

All in all it's a rewarding hobby - except for the bloody rigging!

Yes I would agree. Your models look fabulous but brought back memories of Cutty Sark's rigging.  Using two pairs of fine tweezers to tie hundreds of clove hitches so that the ratlines hung straight rather than using simple knots. It looked right in the end.  The model us in it's puurpose built case and one day I will unpack it, order the requisite  number of Billi gs spares and refurbish it.  However I would have to make myself a dustproof cabinet to put it in.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes I would agree. Your models look fabulous but brought back memories of Cutty Sark's rigging.  Using two pairs of fine tweezers to tie hundreds of clove hitches so that the ratlines hung straight rather than using simple knots. It looked right in the end.  The model us in it's puurpose built case and one day I will unpack it, order the requisite  number of Billi gs spares and refurbish it.  However I would have to make myself a dustproof cabinet to put it in.

Jamie

Dust is the toredo worm of model ships!  I made the mistake of leaving this one out of a case because I didnt want the bulk of the case on top of my dainty sideboard but I've never been able to properly clean it.

Czechoslovakia is evidently a less dusty place if this video is anything to go by though.    Girlpower!  Check out this model  boys, if you want to feel totally inadequate, made by a lady called Doris Obrecova. Every bit is made of paper. The masts and spars are rolled paper. The planking is wood patterned contact. The carvings are made with a DAZ type clay. Her channel also has her Victory and Royal Caroline models, on a ship building forum I'm on she'd recently  finished the Royal George but tragically lost her husband last year so has been a bit quiet.

Anyway, she keeps the models on shelves in her flat and dust never seems to be an issue, thats what I started off getting at!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

No model ships here - but a few real ones just out of sight - though I can see some of the harbour cranes from the front door.

Yesterday started as usual with church and chatting to friends on the phone and by e mail.  I realised I had nearly run out of anti histamines - which I sometimes need outside the hay fever season so on the way home I made a quick detour and bought several packs.  My preferred ones are cetrazine hydrochloride - they seem to have the fewest side effects for me when I take them.  Somehow I also manged to buy some biscuits.

The it was time for coffee and a read. followed by lunch.  Later on I had a short thirty minute walk after which I did the housework, in case I decided to go out today (Monday).  I made the usual phone call to my aunt and found my cousin on that side of the family was staying with her for the weekend so we had a quick chat.  

After a cup of tea and a piece of chocolate cake I picked some sweet peas - for once I could actually smell them which is lovely, my sense of smell was not good even before I had Covid and has been hopeless since.

My energy provider's website was working properly so I was able to have a good look at my daily electricity and gas usage.  At this time of year I use about 3kW of gas and 7kW of electricity a day.  Obviously it is more in winter.  My fixed rate ends in October, I wonder how much I will pay then?

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

..A wise choice sir given the minimal rigging!...

I think so. And given that it's a plastic kit, I won't have to learn too many new skills when building to model (although I think a visit to YouTube for videos on how to rig model ships will be in order)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

My budget doesn't stretch to Rivas... I might manage 1:1 for one of these:

958011483_8beach.JPG.697baa301338a142c42c5c0b602f8f14.JPG

I hope everyone's having a good day. Late on parade today as I have been getting some fresh air and then exercising the grey matter, talking about things in green boxes. 

I've modelled various sailing vessels, including a square-rigged vessel. So I can sympathise fully with all those comments about rigging. At least I don't have to replace it all every year!

(Incidentally, and at the risk of incurring the wrath of the awl, some years ago I mentioned plans to produce a scratchaid kit at 1:76 for one or two examples of British coastal small craft - health permitting, I would like to revisit this and go ahead. If anyone's interested, PM me, if it happens it's going to be on a non profit making basis, so we'll keep costs as low as possible). 

And on the subject of galleys, they need not be powered by minions under CC's displeasure. I prefer to believe they are business partners who failed to read their contracts carefully before signing... 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Book cases built and fitted together. For some reason the last one didn't want to go into its alloted spot so with a bit of ingenuity and brute force it saw the error of its ways and slotted into place after being tipped up a bit,The others squeezed in a bit a modicum of gentle persuasion with a hammer and a tapping block.

I have some inter coneccting screws coming into Screwfix tomorrow once they come the cases can all be screwed together then shelves fitted

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

e JL Bill.

MiL’s JL bill may be smaller in future. Her only credit card was issued by them, it replaced a store card and before that a store  account. So she has been a customer for a very long time. However they have changed their credit card company from a High St bank to something that appears to be funded by private equity whatever that is. So MiL has had her card issue declined by the new company. JL say the issuer takes into account your personal circumstances  before issuing a card. There was a number to contact if the decision was felt to be wrong. However the contact just said, no appeal and refused to state on what grounds it had been denied. MiL has twice the income we have, no debt and owns a property. She even has a financial adviser.!Interesting to know what it is about her personal circumstances caused the rejection. We suspect someone else in the flats has a poor record and everyone is getting affected. However they won’t say. 
Everytime I go (or went, more accurately pre Covid) store assistants tried to interest me in their Partnership credit card. I used to politely decline. I will now politely explain why I wouldn’t have one if they paid me. 
Fortunately MiL has now acquired a new card from her bank. No problem. She still likes to pay for things, shopping, pub (restaurants) herself.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

My budget doesn't stretch to Rivas... I might manage 1:1 for one of these:

958011483_8beach.JPG.697baa301338a142c42c5c0b602f8f14.JPG

I had a part share in one of these, a Norfolk dinghy.image.png.3db0ec000aa59aa7942b5ea88ae6a3b9.png

image.png.fbd77b1e17005e7939b6f787fe16f664.png

The top one above sold for about £6700..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

had increased in price since I last looked just a few days ago 😡 - one by sixty quid and the other by seventy quid 🤬🤬 

There was a sale on. Aditi told me to look to see if there were any special offers on anything I was thinking of buying. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Dust is the toredo worm of model ships!  I made the mistake of leaving this one out of a case because I didnt want the bulk of the case on top of my dainty sideboard but I've never been able to properly clean it.

Czechoslovakia is evidently a less dusty place if this video is anything to go by though.    Girlpower!  Check out this model  boys, if you want to feel totally inadequate, made by a lady called Doris Obrecova. Every bit is made of paper. The masts and spars are rolled paper. The planking is wood patterned contact. The carvings are made with a DAZ type clay. Her channel also has her Victory and Royal Caroline models, on a ship building forum I'm on she'd recently  finished the Royal George but tragically lost her husband last year so has been a bit quiet.

Anyway, she keeps the models on shelves in her flat and dust never seems to be an issue, thats what I started off getting at!

Absolutely superb!*   

What astonishing workmanship (no, I'll not be going the PC route as workmanship in my eyes is genderless).   She's getting added to my list of very, very skilled modellers!

* Unlike the rendition of "Strangers in the Night"  which sounded like it was being played by Les Dawson!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

it seems that local JL don't have the telly in stock to collect.  Ar5ebadgers.

When buying our television it would have fitted in my car but the store assistant said it was better to order it for home delivery. Less likely to be damaged. It was two man delivered in one of their own vans. No charge. 
Also you mentioned getting a different brand soundbar from the TV. I am fairly sure they will work together if wired with an HDMI Arc cable but is it possible that two different brands will need two separate remotes if you use Bluetooth? I am sure someone on this forum will know!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

and trying to find the chargers for the camera batteries ...

I found mine after ordering a new one. It was the best way to find the old one. 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7