The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I would have thought that for hard standing "Type 1 base" would be better for consolidating when using a vibrating roller.

My thought would be for making land drains. Wrapping pea gravel in a geo textile membrane such as Terram

Perhaps they are going to make a solar farm and it's gravel for the concrete footiings.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had an early dinner today, Tess Coes had some ready cooked 'New York sausages*' in the deli reduced to 50p each so I grabbed a couple and when I got home I bunged some chips in the fryer and that was dinner. Kettle is on, be back later.

*Same as a normal English sausage with added mustard in the filling.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Perhaps they are going to make a solar farm and it's gravel for the concrete footiings.

Jamie

The solar farms I have seen aren’t on a gravel base. There is grass underneath so sheep can still graze. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

The solar farms I have seen aren’t on a gravel base. There is grass underneath so sheep can still graze. 

I’ve been in a ground-level parking lot in Arizona with a roof made up of solar panels - generates electricity and provides shade for the parked cars.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

This will get up Putin's nose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hornet_Nano

We are supplying them to Ukraine.

The US has sent  Boeing/Insitu ScanEagles to Ukraine, which my eldest flew in Afghanistan and subsequently 'flight instructed' in Arizona before joining Insitu for a couple of years when leaving the USMC.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

21 hours ago, polybear said:

Dizzy polar bear

You might enjoy the photo essay in the current issue of National Geographic Magazine. It features polar bears adapting to terrestrial (ice free) habitat.

The opening of a bear sleeping in wildflowers is striking. (There is an opt-in registration required. I have a subscription to the magazine, but still refuse to add yet another online account.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

The last one was taking the 11+ to get a scholarship to the grammar school, she passed it at the age of 9 but couldn't go until she was 10.  That must have been in 1933.

Momma Bear passed the 11+ to get a place at the Grammar School (back in the days when it really was a Grammar School - and the school to go to) but missed out cos' there were no places left.  B'sterds.

2 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

They were developed as part of a £20 million contract

This suggests big price ticket numbers:

https://www.gizmocrazed.com/2013/02/the-black-hornet-is-the-195000-spy-plane-that-fits-in-your-hand/

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Didn’t Maplin’s sell something similar for £4.99?

The West spent, well oodles n' oodles n' oodles (and some) developing helmet controlled gun aiming systems (so where the pilot looked was where shooty things would go).  And then the Berlin Wall came down and the West got hold of some MiG 21's (pretty careless of the Ruskies if you ask this Bear), only to discover that they'd already done it using cheapo bits from the Ruskie division of RS Components for a few hundred bucks.

In other news.....

Carpet hoovering, blinds up, table brought down from the muddling room and back into the lounge for the first time in about a year, TV stand cleaned and back into the lounge.

Right then....those of a nervous disposition and/or easily offended skip the next bit

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

FuggitfuggitfuggitpoopoopoopooTurdycursesturdycursesturdycurses...😡😡😡

Bear's lounge telly became Bear's Conservatory telly at the start of The Great Lounge Refurb.  Well today the Conservatory Telly became the Conservatory Radio.  Kind of....

It's got sound.  Tick.  But no s0ddin' picture.  Definitely not a tick.

Google suggested that Bear should try a "reset" - unplug from the mains for at least 60 seconds, and whilst unplugged hold down the telly power switch (the one on the telly) for at least 30 seconds.  Hmmm, sounds kinda hopeful to this Bear.  I wasn't wrong.

Plan 2 was to shine a torch close to the screen - and if you can see a very faint picture it means....the backlight is Fubar'ed.  And it is.  Buggerit.

So it looks like choosing one new telly just became choose 2 new telly's - of different sizes so different models.  And that of course means even more LDC tokens.  I was kinda hoping that Bozo's C-19 tokens would cover a big slice of the new telly - it looks like that slice just got a lot smaller, which is never a good thing.  Turdycurses.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

When we moved house SWMBO made us take the lounge carpet as it was very expensive. We rolled it up and got it out of the house through a window. Eighteen years later it’s still rolled up in the the ‘new’ houses garage. She just won’t let it go!  ‘It’s a very expensive carpet’ to which I reply ‘it WAS a very expensive carpet’. 

Bear measured possible locations for the freebie carpet today - I had the wonderful scheme of putting it in the spare bedroom (the carpet in there is decent - but not a patch on this stuff).  A quick room measure showed it to be 8" too short.  You got it - TC's.

It would do the bathroom with plenty to spare (I've had carpet in there for 20+ years - it's fine so long as you're not a splashy kinda Bear and past the Rubber Duck stage).  But it seems that Wool carpets in bathrooms are Not A Good Idea.  Yep, TC's.

So then I measured the hall and the landing - bingo, it'll do both 😃.  And since it's a tad under five hundred notes' worth there is certainly some incentive there.  It's rated as heavy domestic as well, so if I ordered some more the stairs can be done at the same time, which is the sensible thing to do.  I must phone the manufacturer on Tuesday to check how long it's available for - if I wait 9 months and then discover it's discontinued I'll be a pretty p1ssed Bear.

All I need now is a friendly punk rocker to store it in their garage for a certain Bear......🤣

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I would have thought that for hard standing "Type 1 base" would be better for consolidating when using a vibrating roller.

My thought would be for making land drains. Wrapping pea gravel in a geo textile membrane such as Terram

Whatever it's being used for it's an awfully lot!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

One of the guys at the MRC is hosting a 3year olds birthday tomorrow, then after to the MRC / show hall, preparations . 19:00 -21:00

Then Sunday at our show all day.. but first he said.. I'm off to the pub... I think he'll disserve it.

Does he seriously expect to survive a 3-year old's birthday party??

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 4

12 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Hmm more lorry loads of 20mm gravel being dumped into the field opposite us. Most puzzling...

When I left for seeing my sailing compatriot, ..

Even more puzzling, JCB was loading with the gravel a tractor with a hopper on the back, when full they disappeared off down the width of the field to behind  the farm house, but didn't come back in the time I had...

So prior to that, two trolley units loaded into the trailer,

Boxes rearranged and packed with stuff we don't need at the moment, two of the boxes have had the marquee roof and sides put in to protect them from meeces.

Then to my compatriots, he's getting better but still limping and unable to work., The world was repaired.

To the MRC, unmentionables disassembled, stacked ready for transport..

Driving back still hoards of traffic arriving for the weekend..

One of the guys at the MRC is hosting a 3year olds birthday tomorrow, then after to the MRC / show hall, preparations . 19:00 -21:00

Then Sunday at our show all day.. but first he said.. I'm off to the pub... I think he'll disserve it.

Brother's been off to the west country for a holiday, as he has a two week gap before starting chemo series 2.

His scans show the majority of the " abnormalities" have shrunk...

Your truly is officially tired good night Awl.

Could it be work for an Internal Drainage Board? (The gravel)

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Cadeby east window features, in the bottom right hand corner, Pixie, Rev Teddy Boston’s steam engine ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/08/26/bottoming-out/

It's a very long time since I've been in All Saints church at Cadeby.  In my teenage years the family knew Teddy well, we often visited to "play" with Pixie or smaller engines indoors.  Usually at some time during our visits we would end up in church with Teddy as he said his "daily office", so I often saw the window. 

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis hasn't bothered me for a couple of days now but the eczema has been really sore. Been watching back editions of the Antiques Road Trip (from2019). The basic premise of the program is that a pair of antiques experts tour the country calling on various antique shops, haggle over the price (usually) and then sell them at auction. One of the participants found a carved wooden shire horse and he purchased it for £10. He'd spotted that it was carved by an artist called Mouseman, who carved a mouse into the base as a signature. He pointed this out to the vendor but he said that he still only wanted £10 for it. When it went to auction it fetched £550!

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Didn’t Maplin’s sell something similar for £4.99?

I work across the hallway from guys who have a lot to do with the Australian army deployment of these. In the flesh  they are a funky little thing, don't think they are worth anything like $125,000 US but the GPS system is nothing like we will ever get to use, the data link is using fancy encryption,  the camera has high end image sharpening and reprocessing capabilities. etc etc - the companies who develop that stuff charge whatever they like basically. WE paid a lot less then 20 mil for our order but I guess when your customer is in the middle of a war you can charge whatever you like then too....

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Could it be work for an Internal Drainage Board? (The gravel)

I wondered if it was going to be used for another remake of True Grit? 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14