The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

16 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Evening all

A night out tonight. Marking - celebrating even - Dr. SWMBO’s doctorate (which wasn’t properly marked when accorded due to some virus otr another) and her return to a level of comfort allowing her to eat out in public seated among and mingling with strangers. 

Our choice of venue was the Darwin Brasserie which is part of the Sky Garden complex atop tge walkie-talkie building in the City of London. 

The verdict?  Excellent food, drink and service in a comfortable modern venue with unparalleled views. Top-drawer price as a three-course meal with drinks and 10% service charge came to £220. But for quality combined with location it was a fair price. 

A very different view of Borough Market Junction. And they even opened Tower Bridge for us. The final view is looking straight up from the entrance with the overhang of the walkie-talkie contrasting with St. Margaret Patten’s church A67A079B-A652-4A0F-8642-BFF96E1BAF48.jpeg.ca9ec2ca51f440428dcf80529547c4fb.jpeg

5D9EC1AA-BC69-46A7-92CC-650C4C90F5C7.jpeg.179b7a53470cddee7fc1a8c9465ec541.jpeg

9A67B676-40D4-48EF-A463-D61A5BEF2EC6.jpeg.1636ed4df3ca8c8e96b6c71a008e546f.jpeg

72BB0E55-6A4A-4CE1-A30F-7394D9F9AE99.jpeg.a6c2dbdab6dd1317b28138b7f7b0eff7.jpeg

97AF29E4-F63A-4ECA-B252-009C32116989.jpeg.24c8ad094d3f5a6b1e0af0fada27e019.jpeg

420E6EEB-5E64-4CCB-908E-EAF5A9B5BCB4.jpeg.9ef3da50f408cbf4d7730491827cbea3.jpeg

4545D0B8-1AC3-4F22-8EE7-B6689D006D31.jpeg.d03e2b654244e797418bc2867fb58522.jpeg

E04549CD-40CF-44B1-BB71-7427D382827B.jpeg.3a21e790c439158408a308a1dcd5c2b3.jpeg

63FBF18C-28A1-42FA-AED6-2F8EA407C454.jpeg.eca13a5d6a167d0086ba96523e594e09.jpeg

F268B203-C183-46C9-8157-5395BD415565.jpeg.8f13ec63208b6e98507a39c64ad5f037.jpeg

A7C37117-AE70-4EEB-B034-994F1AE3E2DB.jpeg.44832ff37e96a0bf14c7b8224baf351e.jpeg

AAA51526-CDA9-402F-8775-6B48AAC5F69F.jpeg.890d4eac311ffda9aec29d0b175752b7.jpeg

I think that the view is worth the money @Gwiwer. And the fact that you and Mrs Gwiwer are celebrating her Doctorate its not an everyday occasion.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The verdict?  Excellent food, drink and service in a comfortable modern venue with unparalleled views. Top-drawer price as a three-course meal with drinks and 10% service charge came to £220. But for quality combined with location it was a fair price. 

image.png.5522e98d1025f1cc3609455412ef7a1b.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, today has been pretty much like yesterday, I spent the morning in the garden and the afternoon in the workshop. This morning, I dug up the 6 box trees that formed a small hedge along the side of the patio. All the branches and clipping went in the green bin, filling it up, luckily it will get emptied tomorrow! The stumps, minus most of the roots are now stored against the wall in the shady garden and will hopefully give the wildlife a refuge during the winter months. 

After dinner, I spent what was left of the afternoon cutting and fitting 4 short lengths of 18mm by 44mm wooden battens to the underside of the turntable base. They were all glued and screwed and are currently under pressure of some clamps. I’ve setbthem all 10mm back from the edge, so that there is a lip all round, this will then sit in a corresponding hole in the main baseboard and rest on peg. I’ll remove all the clamps over the weekend and check that the base is square and flat. All I need to do now is fit a small block of wood so that the 2 sockets under the base that feed power to the tracks and bridge will be easier to see, as the battens are making these a little awkward to get at. I’ll take some photos over the weekend, as I think a good photo will explain it better. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Some local numpty has just decided to let off some fireworks! 

Goodnight all

Edited by BSW01
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Rmweb has gone teenie tiny on my iPhone. Zooming in to see anything means scrolling across as well as down the screen to read it. Too much!

So I shall just say

‘ night all and nos da

and wait and see if there is any change tonorrow.

Polky

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Our choice of venue was the Darwin Brasserie

It must have been nice to have been able to finally celebrate with Dr SWMBO! I’m pleased for you both.

However, at least to me, calling the brasserie “Darwin’s Brasserie“ raises all kinds of unfortunate connotations: will the food evolve on your plate? Is getting through the meal a matter of “survival of the fittest”?

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

……Top-drawer price as a three-course meal with drinks and 10% service charge came to £220. But for quality combined with location it was a fair price. 

6 hours ago, polybear said:

image.png.5522e98d1025f1cc3609455412ef7a1b.png

I checked the sample menu for the restaurant, My Dear Bear, and they don’t even have LDC on the menu!

They also have a breakfast menu and charge a whopping £19.75 for a full English - which is pretty stiff even by London standards (in comparison, I recently had a great soss & bacon butty from a stall in Borough Market which was stuffed full of artisanal bacon and sausage for only six quid).

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good morning all,

Up very early – mostly because I had a very bizarre dream and couldn’t get back to sleep. My recollection of the dream is a bit hazy, but it did involve staying in a so-called luxury hotel where the loo was on the landing and my “luxury suite“ was no bigger than a broom cupboard and had already been occupied when I turned up with the key. I am sure that a Freudian analyst would have a field day in interpreting that dream!.

Some of you may recall that, a few weeks back, I was mucking around with some inexpensive solar powered LED garden lanterns. Well, to make a long story short, the cheapest of the lot (which cost me barely a fiver) had a better quality rechargeable battery installed and the housing rebuilt to better resemble a Japanese garden lantern. I put it out to charge in the garden yesterday – so it got several hours of sunlight – and it turned itself on at dusk and when I got up this morning, quite a few hours later, it was still burning brightly. And what is more interesting, it performs better than the more expensive ones that I also bought to tinker with. I am tempted to buy another one, although I wonder if the performance of the one I have just rebuilt is really just down to luck of the draw.

Finally, a busy morning awaits as I have a lots of “work“ work to do (including dealing with a client of whom I am not enamoured) before heading into the “big city” to see if the gift vouchers, discovered when I sorted out the workshop a number of months ago, are still valid. Given that there is about £500 in vouchers, it could be an enjoyable expedition.

Time for another rather large mug of coffee, have a great POETS day.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I checked the sample menu for the restaurant, My Dear Bear, and they don’t even have LDC on the menu!

Bear noticed....😡

They could've redeemed themselves with Treacle Pud n' Custard, but no.....😡

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

They also have a breakfast menu and charge a whopping £19.75 for a full English - which is pretty stiff even by London standards (in comparison, I recently had a great soss & bacon butty from a stall in Borough Market which was stuffed full of artisanal bacon and sausage for only six quid).

Bear noticed that too - and it doesn't even have Fried Bread.  At least it has Beans, so their Chef doesn't exist in a total culinary abyss.

44 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Up very early – mostly because I had a very bizarre dream and couldn’t get back to sleep. My recollection of the dream is a bit hazy, but it did involve staying in a so-called luxury hotel where the loo was on the landing and my “luxury suite“ was no bigger than a broom cupboard and had already been occupied when I turned up with the key. I am sure that a Freudian analyst would have a field day in interpreting that dream!.

Bear knows a guy who, whilst travelling on business, discovered his hotel room to already have a couple of occupants - who turned out to be a couple of the staff indulging in, er, "athletics"....

44 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Some of you may recall that, a few weeks back, I was mucking around with some inexpensive solar powered LED garden lanterns. Well, to make a long story short, the cheapest of the lot (which cost me barely a fiver) had a better quality rechargeable battery installed and the housing rebuilt to better resemble a Japanese garden lantern. I put it out to charge in the garden yesterday – so it got several hours of sunlight – and it turned itself on at dusk and when I got up this morning, quite a few hours later, it was still burning brightly. And what is more interesting, it performs better than the more expensive ones that I also bought to tinker with. I am tempted to buy another one, although I wonder if the performance of the one I have just rebuilt is really just down to luck of the draw.

Does @iL Dottore have a link please?

Bear here.....

Today's "The Day" - the carpet is due this morning.  A day that at times a certain Bear felt would never happen.  Hopefully it'll be all that I hope it will.

And once that's done I can get the new blinds hung and finally start to put stuff back where it belongs (or where it has been intended) at long last; buddy over the road is going visiting today so won't be available for furniture shiftin' until about 5pm, which is a bit of a pain but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Right, time to get the little furry ar5e movin' - final stuff to do before they arrive.

Bear gone. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hmm more lorry loads of 20mm gravel being dumped into the field opposite us. Most puzzling...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good morning all,

Up very early – mostly because I had a very bizarre dream and couldn’t get back to sleep. My recollection of the dream is a bit hazy, but it did involve staying in a so-called luxury hotel where the loo was on the landing and my “luxury suite“ was no bigger than a broom cupboard and had already been occupied when I turned up with the key. I am sure that a Freudian analyst would have a field day in interpreting that dream!

You didn't look in the mirror and see a @polybear?

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1