The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

My birthday is next month, I just found out I'll spend it in Nha Trang in Vietnam to attend a meeting. Still, there are much worse places to visit, the Vietnam North - South railway goes through Nha Trang, I'd like to get time to photograph a train or two but I suspect it won't happen. Something that is easy to lose sight of is how big Vietnam is, the railway between Hanoi and Saigon (sorry, Ho Chi Minh City) is 1000Km. People in tend to view the world in the context of their home areas, which for those of us in Europe mean we tend to judge size by European standards and find it hard to imagine the scale of the Asian continent and countries like Russia, Canada, the USA and Australia.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Rain has stopped now and the lawn is beginning to look a bit greener. 

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Only 4.3mm here. You must have taken all of our share. 

The 63mm was Billericay, the nearest place to were I am. A few places further west had even more rain. I certainly had more than 4.3mm though. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Wot's an "App?" 

All the programme content supplied over the internet rather than broadcast via terrestrial aerial or satellite that you may have received on a pc or dongle like an Amazon Firestick will have the appropriate app (program)  for the tv. Most modern tvs have all the popular apps,built in or are downloadable. BBC iPlayer, All4, YouTube,etc are examples. Amazon Prime video  has an app allowing you to see their stuff if you are a subscriber. Our Samsung television I think has loads. It also has a web browser in case there is some internet content you want to view if there isn’t a specific app available.  The tv does have a wireless connection but the wired Ethernet is better. I ran a flat 20meter Cat 7 cable round the  room.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, DaveF said:

.... I also decided I need to make a list of the main things I brought home from the flat just in case I ever have an insurance claim.  There is nothing very valuable but it mounts up, perhaps I should also take photos.

Photos would be good 'insurance'. Sometimes, if you make a claim, a company might ask for receipts or other evidence you had X, either because they are suspicious or being an [nuisance]. If you've had a particularly bad event, such as fire, flood or something similarly destructive, that could well be a problem. Not to mention forgetting some of what you had. (I'm thinking of those of us with thousands of books). 

Events over the last three years have screwed my system for various reasons and I'm still trying to repair it but I used to use a combination of photos and scans held in the cloud/on email servers and on memory sticks stored at a separate location. Not just pictures of my bookshelves but computer files and my more valuable photos. Hopefully it's something which will never be needed but if something catastrophic did happen to that part of the house then it's not as bad as it might have been. 

Afternoon all. Rain overnight here too, though a fair bit of blue sky currently. Another unsatisfactory night sleepwise but I'm managing to plod away at a few minor things which don't need much thought. More slugs rehomed after the early mid morning patrol. I think we're up to the low thirties now, which seems a lot for a small garden. Hopefully I'll feel up to some more intensive G-word soon, several pots are ready to go in and a few young plants, particularly some iberis, are due for a move.

The bluetit was observed earlier, he/she is virtually single-handedly trying to peck his/her way through the peanuts. Not many sparrows about at the moment and I think the blackbird has gone into hiding. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All from very soggy Puppershire!

7 hours ago, polybear said:

So which clue gave the game away?

6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Was she called Annette Curtain? ;)

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Not quite - but close enough....

Come on Bear, I was there for 45 years, it was too easy even without the most amusing clue. 

Still, time to draw this conversation to a close.   See what I did there? 🤣

Whatever tv you get now will have content accessible from apps so if you intend to decorate the lounge soon I would install some Ethernet cable between your router and the tv. 

Now that's just too funny for words!    Come on Tony, don't encourage him to do it all again.

19 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

All the programme content supplied over the internet rather than broadcast via terrestrial aerial or satellite that you may have received on a pc or dongle like an Amazon Firestick. Most modern tvs have all the popular apps,built in or are downloadable. BBC iPlayer, All4, YouTube,etc are examples. Amazon Prime video  has an app allowing you to see their stuff if you are a subscriber. Our Samsung television I think has loads. It also has a web browser in case there is some internet content you want to view. The tv does have a wireless connection but the wired Ethernet is better. I ran a flat 20meter Cat 7 cable round the  room.

Rest assured Bear that how ever "Smart" your TV is when it leaves the shop, it won't stay Smart very long as the AP  API's and processing power suffer from the relentless march of progress at Warp speed.   

Our Samsung tele was very Smart when it arrived (to be fair that was a good few years ago now)  and it had 50 or 60 Aps.   Aps came and went but how many did we ACTUALLY use?  Well, the main channel ones, YouTube and the Samsung browser very occasionally.  All the rest were mostly just a waste of electrons and ones and noughts.     One by one they all seemed to fall by the wayside and we ended up having to buy a Firestick to get the Smartness back for the now ignorant television.  Actually, the television aspect remains very good, the picture is as good today as it ever was but  oh, I've just remembered, the analogue sound output died and we had to invest in a sound bar connected via the optical link to regain half decent acoustic output.

In Other News

Hooray!

Chris "Clickspring" is back on YouTube.   He went very quiet a couple of years ago.  I think he and his mates discovered some very interesting new feature of the Antikythera mechanism and they kept very quite until their scientific paper was published.    Anyway, you'll recall that Puppers really appreciates great workmanship and interesting technology (as I suspect many other ER's do) and so it's great to see progress being made once again.   I thought hand scribing and painting bricks on Pendon's buildings was impressive but take a look at Clickspring's engraving of one of the plates for the Antikythera mechanism.    Astonishing I'd call it.

Anyway, if you are bored and have a keen interest do yourself a favour and settle down to his full series plus the little side videos that explore how ancient craftsman might have achieved such fine, precise work.

TTFNQ

Alan

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Our Samsung tele was very Smart when it arrived

Our Samsung TV allows you to delete, update or add new apps. A much older Samsung smart tv we have in another room only seems to occasionally allow updates to update built in apps. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, PupCam said:

that's just too funny for words!    Come on Tony, don't encourage him to do it all again

He could just lift the carpet round the edge, the new cables are very flat! Probably wouldn’t show much…

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

He could just lift the carpet round the edge, the new cables are very flat! Probably wouldn’t show much…

Held in place by the carpet gripper strips 🤣   

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Held in place by the carpet gripper strips 🤣   

Exactly. Lift the carpet, put the cable on the vertical edge of the  gripper strip, push the carpet back into place and whack it firmly with a bolster chisel (or one of those carpetfitters tools if you have one). 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

My birthday is next month, I just found out I'll spend it in Nha Trang in Vietnam to attend a meeting.  ...SNIP...

I had an acquaintance that spent some time in Na Trang some years back; I think the circumstances were a bit different, though!

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Come on Bear, I was there for 45 years, it was too easy even without the most amusing clue. 

Still, time to draw this conversation to a close.   See what I did there? 🤣

Bear has brought the curtain down on the subject.....🤣

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

You will not be disappointed.

More details Friday.

B761E002-FEF7-4945-817A-2C94CE444260.jpeg

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...................

Florrie's back!!!

In other news.....

Print finally framed - it's only taken 27 years....

(Apologies for the carp photo - the phone seemed to like finding reflections...)

1817111573_IMG_29671.JPG.fc3606cd44291aa4f36fb6266dd13bf5.JPG

It's now hung on the wall; I'll be on the lookout for something else that can go in a frame of the same size and colour for the last remaining hanging space.  I'm in no hurry though.

After that it was just general "getting ready" for the carpet fitters tomorrow, which included knocking up a couple of corrugated cardboard protectors for the doorframe.  And that concluded Bear's fun for the day.  So far.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Speaking of rain, the local NOAA report stated "light rain"; well, there is more rain falling on the moon than there is here.

Hope you don't get the sort of rain that drenched parts of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana and Alabama recently.

There was a hiker swept away in "the Narrows" of the Virgin River in Zion National Park in Utah. She was recovered six miles downstream some four days later. The river flow variations were quite staggering:

During the search, "several seasonal-monsoon rains increased flow in the Virgin River to a peak of more than 1100 cubic feet per second," the park service said. "The river was flowing at about 50 cubic feet per second when the Zion Search and Rescue Team ended their search."

Meanwhile dinosaur tracks uncovered by drought-induced low water levels in (I'm guessing, the Paluxy River) in Dinosaur Valley State Park in Texas are presumably inundated again with the recent Texas flooding.

The drought/flood cycles in the southwest have been really extreme. Meanwhile, in our seasonably dry time of year, it is something like 47 days* without measurable rain and none in sight. Hopefully it will rain in September. Despite the seasonally normal dry weather, in the northwest corner of Oregon, we are not considered in a drought status.

* The television weather people put up a number every night, but I haven't been paying it close attention. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Our Samsung TV allows you to delete, update or add new apps.

The Chrome browser installed on my Samsung TV was complaining* that it needed to be updated. I looked into it but it wasn't obvious which Linux distribution/version was on the television for me to choose the right set of bits. I imagine that with sufficient perseverance it could be managed but didn't feel like it at the time.

* Actually I think it was YouTube that was doing the complaining about the old version of Chrome. The television can't be much more than four years old or so and would have only been about two years old when the messages started.

The separate YouTube application (not running in Chrome) is probably fine.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

1 minute ago, simontaylor484 said:

I had seen on You Tube. flooding in Death Valley washing roads out

A bunch of visitors had their cars buried above the axles in debris when their car park was flooded. There was no moving them without heavy equipment.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hopefully it will rain in September. 

Same here. I think we have had our rain for the month now. The average monthly rainfall for August here is 33mm. Although hardly anything has fallen for awhile until today we aren’t subject to drought orders as our water supply isn’t from local wells. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4