The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all,

Another fairly quiet workday ahead (only about two hours of work – so barely enough cash to fuel up the Dassault Falcon….😢 🤣)

As to the Bear (and others) Insinuating that I got my suits from a high street chain store, I must disappointingly inform them that the suits were built for me (“built” being the term used by tailors) by a bona-fide old fashioned tailor. The fellow had an incredible dress sense and I recall once, when looking through the swatch books and happening on a rather garish check, upon voicing my interest in a suit of said cloth he replied “Oh no, sir. Sir would look like a bookie”.

In regards to re-finishing the kit built Stratocaster, as much as I do like natural wood finish guitars the wood of this kit is a very soft wood and really wouldn’t look very good in a natural finish (whether clear lacquer, Danish oil or similar). 

All this talk about the sordid business of “politicking” makes me (again) wish that we had politicians like Terry Pratchett’s Havelock Vetinari - as Commander Vimes* mused “you always knew where you stood with Lord Vetinari - although you may not always like where you’re standing”.

* another great TP creation - Vimes is the sort of copper you’d wish we had running our police forces.

Time for another rather large cup of coffee…

Tatty-Bye

iD

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PupCam said:

Unfortunately I know exactly who you mean (well, it was too easy!)  and  you might think that but I couldn't possible comment!  😉

So which clue gave the game away?

Bear here.....

Well a bluddygreatclapofsoddin'thunderat0410 woke a certain Bear from a nice snooze.  Turdycurses.  Just the one, no more.

And at 0530 Bear was awake again cos' number ones wanted to come and visit - and experience tells me that there's diddlysquat chance of snoozin' again at such a time.  So early starts are today's first activity.

And it's chuckinitdarn - Alexa told me yesterday that there'll be 20mm of the stuff today (just how the hell does she know that??), which is kinda useful and will hopefully help start putting the house foundations back where they belong.  Nottagoodday to be a Bin Man - and I can hear them now....

House Insurance?  Oh yes, useful stuff; Bear's is due on the 29th (I had a warning email a week or two back) so figured I still had time to compare.  Fortunately the very kind Insurance People have saved Bear the job and renewed it at 01:56am this morning - wasn't that kind of them?  Can I be bovvered?  Well, no not really - it's a hundred and forty four notes including legal and Home Emergency Cover, which is up by about a tenner or so from last year;  experience has taught me that cheaper quotes tend to have notverynicecrap buried in the T's & C's that are very off-putting to a Bear.  

Today sees Bear framing a genuine signed print that's been on top of the wardrobe since 1996, stored in a cardboard tube; there's a possibility that NHN may approve (clue: he was rather good at riding red things 😉) - piccy later.

Some new D-Rings for several piccies in the muddling room were delivered yesterday - some of the frames have picture cords secured to screw eyes (which is fine on light frames but not so good on heavy frames) so I thought I'd swap them over; the frames in question are light ones but I figured I'd do the job properly - and I've noticed that the picture hangs more nicely as a result because it's closer to the wall.

I've also got to prepare the lounge ready for the carpet guys arriving tomorrow (glad it's not today as it's rather wet outside).  A buddy is arriving at 0930 (he lives a few doors away) to assist in moving a writing desk from the lounge to the kitchen; after that there's just a few small items to shift, a couple of vertical blind slats to remove (there's a possibility the carpet may cone thru' the window), a quick hoover and that's about it.  I also have a very large carboard box (7ft long - used to deliver a kitchen unit tall end panel last year; I knew it would come in handy....😃) that I'll cut a couple of protectors for Bear's shiny new lounge doorframe in case the carpet comes in thru' the front door.  After that it's a MIUABGA day.

Bear gone....

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The fellow had an incredible dress sense and I recall once, when looking through the swatch books and happening on a rather garish check, upon voicing my interest in a suit of said cloth he replied “Oh no, sir. Sir would look like a bookie”.

🤣🤣

That's brightened up a Bear's start to what is a very wet and gloomy day no end....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

9 hours ago, polybear said:

I found myself having to purchase some Felt Tipped Pens from the South American Ladies a couple of days ago - I can't recall the last time I did that, decades maybe?  The ones I had were dried up - I've a bluddy good mind to take them back to the Stationary Cupboard at work and complain; unfortunately she that must not be named** that controls that "cupboard" is (a) a total waste of space (a very common opinion), and (b) knows exactly how to "play the system" and as a result the HR Dept. tiptoe around her accordingly.

(**Note to Puppers:  Often used as a privacy hanging at a window.  Got it?)

Was she called Annette Curtain? ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

Greetings all from Sidcup where the downpour has finally happened. We have had a little bit of rain in the past week or so but this one is more consistent and at times heavy. Earlier we had thunder and lightning (although not in that order).

Unfortunately it has knocked out the signals between Lee and Hither Green so there are no trains on my line for the next few hours, hence WFH. Fortunately I discovered that before I set off for the station rather than having braved the rain to find out when I got there. That's certainly something the adaptation to lockdowns has given us; if it had been pre-Covid, WFH would have been viewed with a lot suspicion, and worries about whether I had the info I needed to hand. Not so now!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. There's some strange wet stuff falling from the sky, apparently locally its 63mm so far. BIN day today and I can hear the distant lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon so everyone on the estate is now awake. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all 

It has rained here too overnight quite heavily. Today sees a drs appointment yes you heard it right I managed to get one.

Today also sees the start of some major admin work and shredding as I am going to pick up a filing cabinet then all paperwork will be in one place

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We too have had some overnight rain again, it’s stopped now, but the garden is very wet! We’ve had quite a bit of rain the last few nights, the garden has certainly needed it and the timing has been quite good, in that it rains whilst we’re in bed! Last night we made an executive decision about the short box hedge in the back garden. It no longer fits in with the rest of the garden and has started to look very disheveled of late, so today I’m going to dig it up and get rid of it completely. It will then open up the rest of that border and we’ll be able to see some of the plants that the hedge prevented us from seeing. With a bit of luck, there’ll be enough room in the green bin, so hopefully it’ll be all gone by this afternoon. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl..

I was enjoying some solid sleep for a change when....

At 01:30 Thor arrived.. So it was off downstairs to comfort Ben the I hate loud Noises Collie.

it was a couple of hours before the last strike of the hammer....

I did get a little more sleep..

We have had some rain about then and more since I've been at work..

Got a Reply from the sender of that email about veterans day / Remembrance day... Saying they changed the wording of the invite from Celebration to Honor..

and asking questions about anything else... 

Did I have fun with that?... I think the Bear would be proud... Took 2.5 hours to write the email between measurements though.. 

hence this missive is late..

Yesterday going home was cockwomble day..

1, Moped with L plates... and a Passenger.. illegal and the poor bike was really struggling with the weight..

2, Then the idiot with the 40mph bicycle was on the road again.. or he was till there was a large traffic jam then he took to the pavement......

3, An Organ donor... or will be,  off road type motorcycle over took me on a corner, then proceeded to to overtake two cars where a lot of traffic turns right.. If one of them had been a Indicator less BMW  that would have been the end of him.

4, Behind me at that point was a silver mondeo, it kept weaving in and out, looking to pass.. a long queue of cars and vans following a tractor with a straw bail loaded trailer following a real Bicycle, he had no chance but I was worried he might try...

Hmm just heard a big bang, I think Thor is back.

Back to measuring the 20G Ohm Box Again..

or first..

Time for Tea break..

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, polybear said:

Something that shows The Clangers in all it's glory.

Whatever tv you get now will have content accessible from apps so if you intend to decorate the lounge soon I would install some Ethernet cable between your router and the tv. 

• Like 13

We have a light drizzle now no @polybear not Lemon Drizzle.

Just had a phone call from Rymans at Castleford the filing cabinet they had in stock is damaged so they are ordering me a new one in. Turdeycurses I wanted to get that done before the bookcases arrive at some point on Saturday. It's the first time I have ordered anything from Ikea for delivery. In the past I have hired a van and filled it 

• Friendly/supportive 16

Thanks for waving, Barry.

I seem to have spent half a lifetime trying to tidy my lounge.  It will be no surprise to most that this is something that I find infernally difficult.  Tomorrow sees a little excursion to the VW dealership so that the Polo may be serviced and fettled and, all being well, get through its first MoT.  I had hoped to be driving to Cardiff on Saturday but this excursion becomes less and less likely.  One day, perhaps ...

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

As I was concerned about Douglass (Florence Locomotive Works), I sent him a PM and got this response:

"Fear not Dave, I’m doing very well, just incredibly busy at the moment. I’ll be returning soon I hope."

That is good to hear. BTW, PM to me posted with his permission.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Lurker said:

When the boss was a medical secretary she had a patient called Annette Kerten.  She had great difficuly calling her from the waiting room with a straight face.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Not quite - but close enough....

Unfortunately it has knocked out the signals between Lee and Hither Green .....

Let's hear it for progress....

Short of a direct strike I somehow doubt that Lightning could nobble signalling driven by levers, pulleys and bowden cables.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Got a Reply from the sender of that email about veterans day / Remembrance day... Saying they changed the wording of the invite from Celebration to Honor..

and asking questions about anything else... 

Did I have fun with that?... I think the Bear would be proud...

Absolutely - LDC on the way.....👏

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Took 2.5 hours to write the email between measurements though.. 

hence this missive is late..

Hey, they were paying you.  Their loss....🤣

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Hmm just heard a big bang, I think Thor is back.

Bear was kinda hoping it was the Mondeo driver....

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Whatever tv you get now will have content accessible from apps

Wot's an "App?"  Pupperzzzzz............

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

so if you intend to decorate the lounge soon.....  

Er......

15 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

As I was concerned about Douglass (Florence Locomotive Works), I sent him a PM and got this response:

"Fear not Dave, I’m doing very well, just incredibly busy at the moment. I’ll be returning soon I hope."

That is good to hear. BTW, PM to me posted with his permission.

Excellent - many thanks for sharing the PM.

And Florence @Florence Locomotive Works - we are now all expecting that "incredibly busy" means wonderful things involving bits of Brass.  No pressure....😄

In other news.....

D-Rings fitted to a couple of piccy frames, at which point Buddy arrived to assist in the moving of a writing desk; we then spent the next 2 hours putting the world to rights, which was rather good.

Din Dins has been scoffed (Beary Tip:  Lidl crinkle cut oven chips aren't as good as the Co-op ones) and now it's time to frame a print.

Bear gone. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2