The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, pH said:

You share your birthday with Barack Obama. I know this because our young grand-daughter does, too. We were at their house for birthday cake yesterday evening. As we gathered round the table for the lighting of candles and cutting of the cake, her 5 year old brother announced “I don’t want my second piece to be too big.” 

I thought you were going to say tgat you had been for birthday cake at the Obama's 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

5 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I thought you were going to say tgat you had been for birthday cake at the Obama's 

Yes, the grammar could have been better, couldn’t it? 😕

• Friendly/supportive 10

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

He's been getting in a right state implementing a state machine to control the astronomy gadget!

I'm presuming this is in software, not implemented in dedicated hardware logic?

EDIT:

If not too complex, it can help to diagram it out.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

and tgat hurricanes and tornadoes have been used as weather weapons.

A certain President thought that China had a ' hurricane gun ' that it used to wreak

havoc on the US coastline .

• Agree 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

... Not certain if you can insure against losing your case?

Yes, you can. Though I wouldn't like to speculate how the odds/premium are calculated. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

I found this interesting and more than a little disturbing.

CNN: London's River Thames has shrunk as extreme heat and looming drought dries up its headwaters

While the drought in western US states is very much "old news" the emergence of a "flash drought"* in New England was surprising to me.

* Whatever that is exactly:

Flash drought is defined by the rapid onset or intensification brought on by abnormally high temperatures, sunny conditions and wind, which together can dramatically alter the local climate in a matter of days.

CNN: 'Flash drought' conditions reported as far east as Massachusetts amid a record-breaking hot summer

A (slightly) wetter than normal wet season pushed us out of drought conditions locally, but the persistent western drought continues east of the mountains.

Meanwhile the Appalachian "hollers"** of eastern Kentucky have been devastated by flash flooding (unprecedented since European colonization) with more rain to come.  (At least 37 people have died.) And western fires burn and burn - two big ones now in central Oregon on top of the big fire on the California border in the Klamath basin.

** hollows.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done much this afternoon, after putting the shopping away just a bit of eyelid inspection. No rain predicted for ten days to two weeks, this is due to a high pressure stuck over the southern half of England and pushing any weather systems coming off the Atlantic to the North of Scotland. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Well I did go for a ride, but ensured we stopped several times to relieve pressure on the hip works.  Seemed OK but I'm sore now, but no worse than 'usual'.  I had hoped 'usual' may have been 'better' but apparently this can take some time to work.  Except last time it didn't.  C'est la vie, or as the French say, that's life.

Eats turned out to be at a 'greasy spoon' in the downtown area of the Big City that iD would not have enjoyed, although the full breakfast fare was reasonable bar beans (too many) but the meats and black pudding were good quality local produce.  The clientele however.....think Manx Wal-Mart.  £7 though was very good value, including coffee and toast.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm presuming this is in software, not implemented in dedicated hardware logic?

Yes, all software.    The threat of a reduction in Puppers' salary and a parole period has spurred him on to think more clearly 😆

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A small minority of enthusiastic frequent purchasers I suspect.

WA is  a Blue state!   Has been for years and has just had an election where blue Dems were reelected once again.  Generally it votes against for what anything Red states vote for.  It looks to be the same this time so its a reliable thorn in the oppositions side.  There are a considerable number of gun shops around though who seem to do good business.  Personally I dislike guns intensely, but if some get their jollies that way, so be it.  I would hate to have someone take my trains away!

Brian

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Porthallow is the mid point of the South West Coast Path, from Poole to Minehead, or vice versa, if you like your vice that way. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2022/08/05/postcards-from-the-periphery-2022-15/

Nice flugal horn tone but photgraph looks more like a trumpet.

Our trip to the Lizard some years ago was marred by an error (putting it politely) jobsworth parking attendant as we left and we had to eventually threaten proceedings before it was sorted.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Friendly/supportive 15

2 hours ago, brianusa said:

... just had an election where blue Dems were reelected once again.

Were there districts where was anyone elected this week? (I'm guessing that perhaps a candidate gaining more than 50% in the 'top-two' open primary avoids a run-off in November?)

[I note the incumbent senior US senator for Washington won more than 50% of the primary vote, as did a candidate for District 6, which I presume is your district.]

Washington Congressional District 3 had a bit of a surprise result (the incumbent is not a Democrat) but no one was elected, just the list narrowed down to two candidates for November.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

My walk to the butchers uneventful, but not so my trip to the Trafford Centre. I attempted to buy a magazine and a few other bits from WHS! I’d selected the magazine and a few other bits and bobs that I wanted and headed to the tills, but there was nobody serving, so I then reluctantly went to a self serve till, (I bl00dy hate those things). I scanned the items and then attempted to pay, but I was greeted with an message on the keypad asking me to complete a questionnaire about my transaction. What bl00dy transaction, I hadn’t got that far yet! There was an option to skip the questionnaire, but that didn’t work, so I asked an assistant to help, she said she was busy and walked off! That really p!ssed me off, so I just left the items beside the till and walked out of the shop, not bothering to complete the transaction, that’s one sale they’ve lost! 

Once back home and today’s purchases had been put away, I made myself a muggertea and placed an order for some modelling supplies, which will hopefully be here early next week. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17