The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Rick, I'm in the same situation regarding the car. A few months ago I had to fork out £850 for a new clutch and for new suspension components (saved a bit of money when the front end was dismantled by replacing the anti roll bar linkage.) I depend on my car as my mobility has deteriorated over the years.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Bear here......

First job of the day was visit the Timber Yard to order some 290mm wide Meranti window board for the alcove shelves; I asked for three at 595mm long and expected to be told that I'd have to come back in a day or so to collect them, so it was a real result when he headed off for a few minutes and came back with them all cut.  Result No. 1

Result No. 2 was the fact that he'd cut four and charged me the same price I'd been quoted for three 😀.  A Happy Bear.

Then it was Wickes to collect some timber batten and shelf brackets - I've decided to use adjustable rails and brackets so the position of the shelves will be, er, adjustable 😄  I'm not totally keen on the appearance of two rails screwed to the wall (I prefer much less visible brackets) but if I want adjustability there's nottalotta choice unfortunately.  I find there's nothing worse that fixed shelving positions that don't suit what is to go on them - and as Bear's Crystal Ball is less than reliable at predicting the future it's gonna be rails.  I'll probably order a colour-matched aerosol and respray the white rails so they match the wall.

The timber batten has been bonded to the bottom edge of a section of skirting using "Sticks like sh1t" adhesive (yes it really is called that) and once painted it'll blend in and solve the large gap problem.  Tick.

I've realised that the two shelf rails purchased earlier are a little too long (@ 4ft) - so I'll swap them for 3ft jobbies tomorrow.  Turdycurses.

I also cut a couple of pieces of Meranti off-cut (saved from the window sill/mantle piece job) and I'll use them to widen a couple of the shelves by 25mm as I have a couple of display cases that are very wide (like 300mm).

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was expecting the HVAC people between 10:00 and noon. I had just finished showering around 8:30am when the telephone rang. Apparently the new fan unit did not arrive but they are expecting it in a shipment today. They are now scheduled to arrive between 8:00am and 10:00am tomorrow.

Ironically, (likely intentional scheduling) one of their trucks was in the street a couple of doors down. (The same company installed all the HVAC equipment on my end of the street.)

Today sees a push of onshore marine air. It is less hot but more humid and we're expecting a high of 32°C. Onshore flow had started last night and I was able to get temperatures inside down a little bit.

The laws of thermodynamics being what they are, it is amazing just how stubborn an insulated thermal mass is. Even when I get temperatures down, they bounce back to around 27°C quite quickly. That's still better than 30°C.

We need a strong onshore airflow today to scour out high altitude wildfire smoke from a large fast-growing wildfire 400km / 250 miles away (as the smoke blows) on the Oregon/California border. The sky was hazy and pale and the sunlight had a very slight orange cast.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

How bl00dy difficult is it to talk to an actual person at the bank, my credit card has stopped working  ring the customer service number loads of computerized menus no option to actually speak to a human being.

Ended up reporting the card Lost to save any further piddling about

• Friendly/supportive 19

7 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

Greetings one and all from a scorchingly sunny Florida.

Started planning this holiday in 2018 for 2020 but alas Covid meant it wasn’t to be….. rolled over to 2021 and had to roll it over again to this year.

Each time we added a bit, then a bit more so here now for 31 days with the family, making memories that will last forever.

So far visited Miami, the Everglades national park and now entertaining the grandson ( and me) with theme park after theme park.

Forgotten the sheer joy of being absolutely terrified at great heights and great speeds but if a 9 year old can do it….

Just as you start to flag you hear ‘Come on Gramps’ and it’s the best tonic to get you going ever.

Just Googling to see if there are any choo choo shops around, just for interest of course.

Take care one and all…. Normal service will be resumed at some point.

Enjoy @BlackRat

• Agree 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

How bl00dy difficult is it to talk to an actual person at the bank, my credit card has stopped working  ring the customer service number loads of computerized menus no option to actually speak to a human being.

Ended up reporting the card Lost to save any further piddling about

Bear's Bank has just announced that it's now charging for replacement lost cards; the first in a year is free but after that they're a fiver a time.  In the event of fraud or theft they'll be free

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I was expecting the HVAC people between 10:00 and noon. I had just finished showering around 8:30am when the telephone rang. Apparently the new fan unit did not arrive but they are expecting it in a shipment today. They are now scheduled to arrive between 8:00am and 10:00am tomorrow.

Ironically, (likely intentional scheduling) one of their trucks was in the street a couple of doors down. (The same company installed all the HVAC equipment on my end of the street.)

Today sees a push of onshore marine air. It is less hot but more humid and we're expecting a high of 32°C. Onshore flow had started last night and I was able to get temperatures inside down a little bit.

The laws of thermodynamics being what they are, it is amazing just how stubborn an insulated thermal mass is. Even when I get temperatures down, they bounce back to around 27°C quite quickly. That's still better than 30°C.

We need a strong onshore airflow today to scour out high altitude wildfire smoke from a large fast-growing wildfire 400km / 250 miles away (as the smoke blows) on the Oregon/California border. The sky was hazy and pale and the sunlight had a very slight orange cast.

Just in time for the great cool off!  Its a more normal day here in GH tempwise, much to the relief of everyone including the cat. Although the air has just kicked in at 75 Degrees!

Brian.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t really like the ones where you speak to a robot and end up going round in circles. A nice man at one of the banks said just remain silent and you will get transferred to a human. Perhaps pressing no numbers has the same effect!

The greater percentage (not actually taken a precise poll ) of systems here will send you to a hooman if you say "representative", I general do so at the first robotic prompt, and quite loudly as they also almost always say "calls will be recorded to help train staff".

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well today has been a complete opposite of yesterday, today I’ve spent the morning in the garden and the afternoon in the workshop. All the outstanding dead heading has been done and I’ve even managed to trim the box hedging in both the back and front gardens. After dinner, I stripped down the blade of the hedge trimmer and cleaned it down. I then applied a coat of grease and then re-assembled them, before they were packed away until next time. I even found time to build and test another delay circuit board. 

Well I don’t know what happened to the council workers, but they never showed up! Still it meant that I had a productive day in both the garden and workshop. 

After tea I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, it was fairly quite in there. However, before that I dropped Sheila’s prescription in at the pharmacy, it was as I was walking back to Sainsbury’s that I bumped into Vickie, so we had a quick chat before heading our separate ways. 

Ian and Mrs A. Happy anniversary to you both. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Hope I am not too late to wish a happy anniversary to Mr & Mrs Abel. 

‘ night all and nos da.

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

Just in time for the great cool off!

Yes, though it's still going to be warm here (88°F / 31°C for the next couple of days) but not hot like it was.

The biggest improvement will be overnight temperatures which will drop to 57°F / 14°C. Statewide, there were about 14 fatalities related to the heat over the last week.

Next weekend will be hot again.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12