The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Not a lot today, late on parade lately due to a couple of poor nights. Changeable weather but the rain helps refresh the plants (and wash the doorstep). A bit more sorting out done, some display units found, dusted off, photographed and listed (including here). Bayko and Minibrix almost ditto, though I won't annoy Andy by trying to list those here. Hopefully they can go on the blog and other online sites tomorrow or Friday. The Brio will probably have to wait for next week. 

Some chicken wire bending and splicing done earlier, two cages created to keep the birds off young plantpots with seedlings. It felt like a cross between metalwork and mending fishing nets. No prizes for appearances but they should do the job. Amazingly, no punctures in me either. 

And that's about it really. I shall now keep an eye out for Zebadee. Night... 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oddly inaccurate of our local paper - quelle suprise.  It was the Chief Officer, not the Old Man.  And if you believe his excuse.....LOL  Having seen the GPS track of the vessel, he must have had the trots for an hour or two. Not on the bridge for sure, doing something else for sure also.

Was he on the poop deck?

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I did think I was being a little ambitious asking the rather young person with numerous body piercings what the difference was between two different models of Samsung Telly.  Bear was correct...

It might have been worse, he might have been able to tell  you that this big one here uses organic light emitting technology while the one over there uses dioides that emit quantum dot light through a dot colour filter.... Or can I direct sir to the new LG QNED range? .

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 14

I have seen a Samsung tv that displays a picture when not in use as a tv ideal for wall mounting.

I did used to see some large wall mounted tv's on our round you could stand on the pavement and look through the front window and watch tv if you were so inclined. This was the sort of area if it was sunny the sofa was put in the front garden 

https://www.heals.com/samsung-2021-75-the-frame-art-mode-qled-4k-hdr.html

Edited by simontaylor484
Link found
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

On the subject of TV, multiple channels with 24 hour schedules and distasteful programming, I can only offer the thought that that is why broadcast TV is sometimes known as a medium - as it is neither rare nor well-done. 

The last ever final ultimate episode of Neighbours is broadcast here tonight.. Margo Robbie! Kylie!  Jason D! its a star studded cast.

Except sadly Bouncer the dog who died of cancer in 1993 and received more tributes  from around the world than any of the human cast,  says wikipedia.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I've had almost 2 tonnes of water-logged mud and clay  sitting in 6 or 7 huge builders bags on my kerbside, the waste from doing landscaping over the last few months. Have been meaning to be  getting around to hiring a skip to get rid of it but keep finding funner things to spend the $450 on.

Came home last night to find the local council boys doing the bi-yearly kerbside cleanup where you can  leave out oversized items (mattresses, furniture etc)  for free pickup had taken it all away. I knew the cleanup was on but never imagined they'd take it.

Caught up with them down the road on my way to work this morning where they were continuing their round and stopped to thank them . "No worries, bloody heavy but - put the weight of the truck right up!"

I'll send them  an online gift card later so they can score a carton of beer, (or alternatively a decent red if thats more their thing).

Australia - The opposite of a rant !     (Number 2).

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, after this morning’s picture framing and hanging session, I did eventually get to the workshop. My first task was to make a new ‘spike’ for small portable parasol. We took it with us to Tatton Park last week and when I can to remove it, the original plastic spike stayed in the ground! So, I found a suitable piece of round hard wood and turned a new spike on the lathe. I the drill 3 holes in both the parasol tube and new spike, the screwed and glued it into place, so I won’t be losing that one next year! I then did a little more dead heading, mainly the buddliea bush, which at this time of year, needs doing daily. 

After dinner I spent a hour in the workshop, doing a little maintenance on my airbrushes. I tried 2 of my old ones last week when I was showing Charlie how to use them and I struggled to get them working, so I set up and used my new one which worked ok. I have 5 airbrushes altogether, 4 old DeVilbis models, 2 gravity fed and 2 suction fed and a new iawta Sparmax, all of which are double action. So, I stripped down and cleaned all 4 of my old DeVilbis airbrushes and gave each one a good clean. Then I re-assembled them all and gave them a test run with clean water and each one worked ok. I don’t think anything was actually wrong with them, but I don’t think giving them a clean did them any harm either, probably a lack of use! 

It was late when james and Amelia finally got here, but is was so nice to see them both. He also presented me with my repaired watch, which was also nice to have back. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19

6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

We could do with a British version of Norm Abram and The New Yankee Workshop

6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I also watch him on You Tube Norm also appeared on a show called This Old House.

This Old House has been on PBS since 1979. It's shown here every Saturday evening at 5:00pm. The current project being aired is in Saratoga Springs, NY. (Official website and PBS website.)

According to Wikipedia, Norm Abram was the master carpenter of This Old House from 1979-2022, but I haven't seen him on any of the recent shows, (of the last couple of years) where Tom Silva did much of the carpentry segments. It took the show some time to adjust to filming (and building) during the pandemic.

I get the impression (in their companion show Ask This Old House) that the current generation of contractors (Tom Silva and plumber/HVAC Richard Trethewey) are in their retirement glide path as well and might be ready to exchange the token with a new generation soon.

What they do is hardly DIY but I find it fascinating. While they don't *always* do 'high-end' renovations, the cost of many projects must be staggering. I have often wondered if there is some kind of financial incentive from the production company for home owners to participate.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, polybear said:

If only we could have some PROPER and IN-DEPTH DIY programmes instead of the usual cr@p that's dished out.

Saturday all day on PBS here is nothing but DIY. 

Starting at 10:00am, each at 30 minutes: Gardening, Gardening, Quilting, Quilting, Sewing, Sewing, Cooking, Cooking, Cooking, Cooking, Motoring, Carpentry, Carpentry, Home repair*, Home Renovation**

Even where topics are the same, the shows are different.

* Ask This Old House

** This Old House

The Motoring show (MotorWeek) does include a home garage segment, but it is mostly focused on new model road testing.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A bit cloudy with some hazy sunshine here.  It will probably stay dry with some sunny spells and a gentle breeze.

Currently 15°C possibly rising to 23°C .  

Thursday = Bin lorries x 3 + Sainsbury's + Amazon delivery.  The latter contains a couple of bottles of falling down water so I won't be going anywhere until that is safely on site.

Spent a bit of time in The Shed yesterday playing with the larger of the toys in there.  The siting of these is too high and needs a major rethink but my thinking apparatus can't figure out yet how to do it.

Time to take tea to Her Bossness.   She doesn't like being woken up before 07.00.  Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

A better again night , a 4 piece sleep, only about 6 hours but a bit more solid..

Ben the I want out Collie, had another good snuffle, this time the other side of the garden just some pigeons to chase off this time, But i suspect I think he got the trail of a mummy and baby Muntjac I saw in the garden and was following their wanders.

Dark this morning with 80% thick cloud cover, cool, just the hint of breeze.

We have low water pressure at the moment which means the toilet tanks are not filling up properly.. I suspect this is not because of the drought, but more to do with blue markings on the tarmac in the next village ... Again....Again ... again.... again...  its a major junction of waterpipes with half a dozen drain covers I think it's about time the water men gave up on the patch it up approach and completely dug it out and renewed the whole lot. You have to take the top off the toilet and hold down the float to fill the tank to the mark before it will flush next time..

We have another spinning wheel appeared in the kitchen, not for once not belonging to SWMBO, but a friends ... Its a cheap one made from ply trees, so there are no spokes just every thing solid ply.. At some point it has been painted a dark blue, all of it and her friend has taken a dislike to that. So wants it decorated.. Yesterday two roses appeared on it...

One of this weeks major systems was completed yesterday, the other was on it's over night crosscheck run. The last of 24 standard shunts was completed, and so were the special resistors completed. so hopefully after checking the cross check I can complete the major system from last week.

Time to ... do nothing for 10 minutes...

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now at the Skoda garage. Having dropped off Mrs ID and the Wolfpack, so the doggies could be walked whilst I waited for the car, I am now waiting for their return surrounded by some very nice looking new Skodas and enjoying a complimentary cup of coffee while I wait.

The TCS guy did an excellent repair job and, something I didn’t know, with new tyres such repair jobs become permanent as the heat generated by the tire running along the road will vulcanise the repair so that it melds into the original tyre. And thus we can drive normally (and our driving plans for today and the weekend are still on, thank goodness).

Having said that, I still can’t repair the Skoda with basic tools: a fully computerised and outfitted workshop/garage is definitely a necessity nowadays!

Have a great day

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

I still carry my 50 year old tool roll in the boot of the car for "emergencies."  Actually purely more for old times sake as I doubt any of them are any use on my car and I would not have a clue what to do under the bonnet these days anyway apart from checking the oil*and water etc.

*Still check it even though every time I switch on the dashboard display tells me "oil level correct."

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

Another over 90 old degrees in GH!  Another one tomorrow  and until the weekend when it breaks and back to the normal 70 or so.  Town has been busy with tourists trying to negotiate the miniscule roundabouts that have proliferated and tend to slow traffic rather than speed it up.

Leave the A/C on for a while yet to cool the upstairs!🙂  Cats gone to bed so we shall soon follow

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny Charente  Maritime.  We are off to the seaside today to visit the Ile D'Oleron for the first time.  Could be good.  

I got a surprise yesterday.  I app,ied for my new passport on 8th July and was told to expect it in 11 weeks.  The process however was easy.  Yesterday, 19 days later my shiny new one was delivered.  Good service in less than 3 weeks.

Regards to all and good wishes to Chrisf at Sidmouth.

Jamie 

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Another over 90 old degrees in GH! 

Fahrenheit?

Celsius?

Kelvin?
Rankine?

Delisle?

Newton?
or

Réaumur?

You do need to be a bit more specific, dear fellow. We need the units so that we can commiserate accordingly. We’d look a bit silly saying “oh gosh, that’s hot” when it’s actually 90°K (- 183°C. -297.67°F)

p.s. most of the above temperature scales have been around for a while, so can be considered “old”

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10