The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Cheers all. Happy birthday, Baz!

Scorchio is the motto of the day. Big surprise there, eh? 36° forecast today, 38 tomorrow. Me no laico, as Italian-Americans might put it.

Slept poorly and feeling a migraine coming, so I'll catch some rest.

Be safe and make sure you get enough to drink...

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I wonder if we'll survive the day or are we all doomed?

Private Fraser?

It’s all starting to make sense now.

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday to Baz.

I can barely remember the bogs at primary school but they did have a roof, and shiny paper.  It's now an Indian restaurant but I expect said facilities have been upgraded. 

I got a bit overheated yesterday afternoon and needed a nap when I got in fron the shops.  On my walk to the bus I was picking hot blackberries, which was weird.

Today's things to be done will largely be indoors.

Stay cool.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I did hear that one of the 'pluses' of the infantry serving in Northern Ireland during the 'Troubles' was soft lavatory paper (rather than Izal/a competitor). I don't know if that applied across all services/units. ?

School toilets were at least roofed, though they had long chains to flush your offering away. Many chains had their idiosyncrasies re force and timing, which did encourage inmates pupils to use the same cubicles on the grounds of familiarity. As a lack of this 'route knowledge' usually ending up in something other than contempt breeding in the pan. 

And on that unsanitary note...  

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Fans: Living in a normally mild part of Sussex (south of the South Downs) I rarely experience the temperatures most of you guys report. When we last had a long hot spell (two or three years ago) I got a usb fan from argos for the bedroom, this seems to be the current version. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3088933?clickSR=slp:term:electric fans:16:182:1

It's not had much use this time, mostly just an hour on lowest when I go to bed (maybe 3 hours last night) but it seems quiet and adequate. More importantly, if I'm spending all day in my computer room I can plug it into a usb socket and run it on high settings - did that for a few days when I got it, haven't yet done that this time - too busy watching Le Tour on TV and trying to only use one computer to save power.

• Like 15

My junior school was a CLASP (consortium of local authorities special projects) building made out of sectional blocks of concrete with a coloured metal inner wall lining. The bogs were covered but we still had izal paper in the 80's we often used it as tracing paper in art lessons 

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Whist coming home we passed a guy jogging wearing a woolly Benny hat a hoody jogging bottoms with shorts over the top a la Rocky.

I am surprised he didn't burst into flames 

Probably wanting to loose some weight.

Although I have seen olduns correctly dressed as well.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

My junior school was a CLASP (consortium of local authorities special projects) building made out of sectional blocks of concrete with a coloured metal inner wall lining. The bogs were covered but we still had izal paper in the 80's we often used it as tracing paper in art lessons 

At the first school I taught in (late 1970s) the male staff and boys lavatories had hard loo paper,  the female staff and girls loos had soft paper. I have no idea how long this had occurred for but certainly ceased when someone realised. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings all from the fold in the hill which is a roasting 39 at present, with a warm wind.

Happy Birthday to Baz.

I think it was truly uncomfortable yesterday for Mrs Lurker and Elder Lurker at the school they work at. And today is a good three degrees warmer so I dread to think. 

We do at least have a breeze, even though it is at times warm. 

I will be risking the journey in to the office tomorrow - I thought I would do one day this week before I go off because otherwise my pass won't work when I go in August! And I can't do later in the week because Younger Lurker finishes school tomorrow but the others work til Friday.

Not sure that there was a lot to report on the primary school bogs, For some reason I can recall someone singing Tiger Feet in there, and I have no idea why!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

A couple of splashes of rain  31c, so pottered on in the garage. Sneaky shot....

20220719_154235.jpg.48483df2a1c132390cf290e4b8dba471.jpg

Sorry young man I don't believe you.

There's no sign of any rain in that photo and as for the temperature, well where do I start- no brown grass, no burnt flower stalks.

You know when your going to tell porkies don't leave the evidence around to prove you wrong.😋

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Happy birthday Baz and Mrs Simon.  Greetings as ever to all other ERs.

Day off today - went to Aldi and spent £90 on what last week was an £80 shop, and was a £70 shop a few weeks ago.  Was there for opening, and then home by 9, before it got mucho scorchio.  That amount did not include the Glen Marnoch single malt, which I had to buy for myself. 

The sun has actually gone in here now, and it's 8 octas of cloud but it's turned very close indeed - so Lily will not get a walk until after 6, as the temperature is still around 35C.  30747 has taken her upstairs for a cold shower.

Tomorrow, a trip to Shrewsbury to look at carpets, and to get a little shopping in Lidl - some of the stuff that we like and which Aldi don't sell. Will that include a bottle of Abrachan - we'll see. 

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3