The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

At my junior school there was a tin of Old Oak Ham that seemed to appear at any event when there was a tombola it was reputed to be the same tin before i left in 1988 it was starring to show signs of rust.

I dont remember the summer of 76 not being born til Feb 77.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

The Bearmobile didn't get washed - no surprises there.  Instead it was programming a couple of remote sockets - handy for mains wall sockets that are a p1g to get to (such as the one behind the AV cabinet in the Conservatory) or for timer functions.  Whoever designed the handset software must've had an evil desire to make it as user-unfriendly as possible.....

Then it was time to fill the new radiator then bleed the system; at first I had a scare and thought I'd put the thermostatic valve on the wrong way round.  If all else fails, read the instructions.....fortunately whoever designed this jobbie made it suitable for pretty much any eventuality merely by turning a ring on the valve to alter the flow direction.  Bear happy.  Even the bleeding process (see what Bear did there?) was straightforward and there's no leaks (shhhh.....) evident.  Big Tick.

Now?  Dunno.  Bear slipped into a bit of a flaky groove....

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Sunday Funnies......

image.png.f14deb5a6df0a296b5adc1a1e4aa666c.png

image.png.4f69f3174db7cf50d867f465512421ed.png

image.png.955464a7f02dc97fe5737de129ae6a73.png

image.png.37a5b2198c491edb54250d2af85c80a2.png

image.png.9adb864a7e67dab726b8394b25501ac4.png

image.png.ebd351c13da6ed75b9009e5082a00e34.png

image.png.ff968b96ef29b1781d796624b587c228.png

image.png.8339623a393c7d1d7eb81ca5fa1617c4.png

My pal Paddy is a bit of a D.I.Y. nut and asked me to come round to see that he had knocked the lounge into another room to make more space.
I went in and he asked what I thought.
"Well Paddy it doesn’t really look much bigger but it is certainly the tallest I have ever seen"

"Time is a construct of man, a means of adding value and structure to a chaotic universe, it serves no real purpose, it's endless and infinite, unfathomable and subjective"
"You're still bloody late" replied my boss

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

19 hours ago, petethemole said:

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever;  Jean jacket and jeans were designed to be worn together.  I still do some of the time even though I'm fat and old.  I wear jeans most of the time, not all blue, jean jackets in cord as well as denim, or cargo vests in warmer weather.  I'm currently wearing cut off jeans with no top unless I go out, when it's usually one of my stepson's old  white school shirts.

You sound like my sartorial twin, were we separated at birth? Though substitute you white school shirts for my sons old rugby shirts instead......................

• Like 10
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

so Alex and Boddo gave him the model - a great pair of guys.

Two of the best Dave.   Both did a huge amount in their own way for the hobby over many, many years.   

One of Boddo's 1/4 scale Sopwith Pups was one of the best models I ever had - I had literally hundreds of flying hours with it before it was lost with a radio problem at Tibenham many years ago.  Indeed it was that Pup that I did my early aerial video experiments leading to my soubriquet Pupcam.

Anyway, it was very sad news 😢

Alan

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

The last time I met Boddo he was at OW at the free flight end flying a Vic Smeed Tomboy. Vic was there as well and Boddo asked me how many aircraft types I'd flown in my career. "About twelve I think," sez I. With a twinkle in his eye Boddo turned to Vic and said, " How many did you fly on that day you were telling me about?" (which turned out to be in 1944 IIRC) "Only eight that particular day," said Vic, "But there were a few more the next day too." 

Dave

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

From on top the bed at a mere 25C.

Today was of course sailing day, the club thermometer, out on a pole in clear air registered,30C at one point. Unfortunately the wind wasn't as large and didn't register much on the anemometer, often ceasing altogether, it only turned up properly as we packed up. 5 pints of orange squash, one bacon roll, one muggacoffee, and two cheese rolls were consumed during the day..

I also put my name down on the board for rescue boat driver, Monday to Friday mornings for the Regatta, rescue boat one was selected, as you can fit a deck chair behind the wheel. On the others the battery box is in the way and you have to sit on the low thwart.

As for the racing.... Slow.. frustrating, the only improvement was a rerouting of the string that holds the jib out down wind, that is a lot easier to use now.

My summer sailing gloves need replacement, as I can now see my fingers through them.

Time to go see what I can find.

• Like 15

I shan't be complaining about today's weather - a high of 25°C is anticipated. Like yesterday it is cooler than 'normal' but there  was no rain with the morning cloud.

We are expecting Tuesday to exceed 32°C - but less warm than most of Europe and happily far short of our record, June 2021 heat wave. It seems that Southern Europe is experiencing California-level climate effects.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17

9 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

The Shed ... is insulated and stays cool for quite a while but by mid afternoon it is extremely hot and  in view of the impending heat ... Seriously thinking of getting an air con unit,  wish I'd done it when I had The Shed built but didn't think I'd need it.

Does the shed have an opening (other than the door) such that you could install a box fan to force some cross-ventilation?

I find 20" box fans will happily sit on a window ledge* and can make a big difference to reduce temperature used when outside is cooler than inside. Here (at least) they are inexpensive (around $20 on sale, but usually under $30).

* I secure them to the window with a soft clamp and some cord through the handle.

You could purchase a 'portable' air conditioner. (The ones that roll about on wheels.) It should work well for your shed.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BoD said:

I’m cool.  The met office said so…

Typical Seaham and old Hartlepool freezing..  horden and crimdon dene  .. scorching.. 

Just like my school summer holidays!!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Been sensibly warm here today. Honest!

Well done @Gwiwer! Furthest I walk these days is Robin Hoods  Bay  to Whitby at Easter.

Our game on Tuesday is off.too hot.

Still off to Cleethorpes as we are having tea in Steeles corner restaurant..one of the top 5 chippies in britain

Baz

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Typical Seaham and old Hartlepool freezing..  horden and crimdon dene  .. scorching.. 

Just like my school summer holidays!!

Baz

I took some amazing photos at Cemetary North but West Hartlepool and Seaton Canoe were lost in fog; Easington was likewise tropical!

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

I took some amazing photos at Cemetary North but West Hartlepool and Seaton Canoe were lost in fog; Easington was likewise tropical!

Seaton Carew did have a nice swimming baths and.. a steel works and nuclear power statio n..

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The last time I met Boddo he was at OW at the free flight end flying a Vic Smeed Tomboy. Vic was there as well and Boddo asked me how many aircraft types I'd flown in my career. "About twelve I think," sez I. With a twinkle in his eye Boddo turned to Vic and said, " How many did you fly on that day you were telling me about?" (which turned out to be in 1944 IIRC) "Only eight that particular day," said Vic, "But there were a few more the next day too." 

Dave

My old man.. a Wireless op/ air gunner flew in No 1 and No 2 ADU in Africa and India after his 30+ ops in 38 squadron in wimpies. He logged a huge variety of flying machines fron Albacores to Sunderlands. His log books are in the IWM.

He reckons the worst to fly in were Marauders.. the best..Mossies

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Spent some time back and forth from The Shed today.  It is insulated and stays cool for quite a while but by mid afternoon it is extremely hot and  in view of the impending heat I've pulled all the locos out and put them in the house for the next few days.  Not sure whether extreme temperatures will affect them much but not willing to take the chance. 

Seems like a sensible scheme to this Bear - I removed the cameras, sat nav and spare fone from the Bearmobile this morning after reading a warning on the 'net; I also noticed that the plastic bottle of hand sanitiser in the car was somewhat distorted.  Discovering a load of locos with wonky bodyshells would sure wipe the smile off GDB's face.  Oh, hang on a mo, how would we know? 🤣

Seriously thinking of getting an air con unit,  wish I'd done it when I had The Shed built but didn't think I'd need it.

Is the shed insulated in any way?  That may also help a lot - Bear's Conservatory now has a roof consisting of interlocking galvanised steel sheet tiles with a load of insulation underneath.  The hottest temp I saw inside today (windows, blinds and doors closed - and south facing-ish) was 29.9C; before the roof was done and with no blinds I saw 46C; a couple of weeks later (and with the roof done - but no window blinds) on a similar day it was 26C).

Yet another salad based meal tonight but I don't mind that, 

With Chips?

1 hour ago, BoD said:

I’m cool.  The met office said so…

95E045D3-4C52-4056-A330-359D18601445.png.43e559e66db1246f418cc28a2df78e53.png

For tomorrow a certain Bear with see you and raise you ten - 37C at Bear Towers apparently.  Deep Joy.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14