The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The father of one my girlfriends (before the Year of The Boss) was a Japanese POW.  He was a lovely cheerful mild mannered guy until Japan or its people were mentioned.  His hatred of that nation was extreme to say the least.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

What is a sobering thought is how both Japan and Germany - countries with an immense cultural, scientific and artistic patrimony - descended so quickly into a Nietzschean abyss where humans - not part of a well defined category (the "in group") - were merely regarded as "things" to be disposed of (and I use that term deliberately) according to the needs of the state.

In a number of history books that I have, there are interviews with former SS Sonderkommando and Einsatzgruppen troops where the perpetrators stated that after years of Nazi propaganda they felt that it was their duty to remove "vermin" from the Nazi state. An unpleasant duty, but one that had to be done. And - shockingly - one of the worst aspects of this whole thing was that the majority of the perpetrators were not sadists or out-of-control murderers - but ordinary men, "doing a job".

Christopher R. Browning's book ORDINARY MEN Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland is very disturbing account of how ordinary men can also be monsters. This NY Times review & summary should be a required reading for those who can't (or won't) read Browning's book in its entirety https://www.nytimes.com/1992/04/12/books/the-men-who-pulled-the-triggers.html

I am sure that most people know the quote from Nietzsche “Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.” But he also developed the concept of Herren- und Sklavenmoral and that of the Übermensch.

I would argue that without understanding the philosophies behind the regimes of Imperial Japan, Nazi Germany and The Soviet Union - we will be fated to repeat the same mistakes....

• Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A far more pleasant day temperature wise the light drizzle comes and goes not enough to wet you through.

Both members of the Double Dachshund Security Force are enjoying the garden Rolo is roaming around Pebbles is in her outdoor play pen savaging a rope toy

• Like 15
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon  from a rather warm Charente.  37 in a nearby town.  

Thoughts very much with Dave H today.

This morning I was off early to Niort to book an appointments for Beth. Getting through on the phone has been impossible.  I was ther ( rougjly 40 miles away) by 9,.30 and the appointment  was booked with no trouble.  Then a swimming pool suppliers to order a new summer cover that will be on a roller.  Some other calls then to the bank.  They dropped my monthly limit for cash withdrawals to only €500 without telling me.  That got sorted and now lunch has been had.

Shopping to do now.  Fortunately  the aircon works in the car.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It may look cute but….

1. It has poisonous fangs
  2. It has razor sharp claws
  3. it has venomous claws
  4. Its saliva is toxic
  5. It is permanently in a bad temper
  6. It carries diseases for which mankind has no known cure
  7. It is “trigger-happy“ aggressive

(Now, I am just guessing with the above, but it’s Australian so one of the above has to be true)

You forgot 8. Its just an ar5e.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 14

6 hours ago, polybear said:

"Click click...click click...."

"What's that you say, Skip?  A 6ft Death Adder and a nest of Sydney Funnel Webs have got little Archie surrounded?  And he's about to whack 'em with a stick? Ok mate, just let me neck this six-pack of Fosters before it gets warm and finish watching the game; head back and give me a reminder in twenty minutes or so and I'll be right out....."

Bear has just sent a cheque off for the next four issues of Mike-Romeo-Juliet; jeez, twenty four quid gone.  Bluddy hell, that's, er, hang on a mo......that's it - got it - found the magic brain.....ah yes, SIX QUID an issue.  Bluddy big ouch.

What's more scary is that a certain Bear was doing Calculus as a part of the HNC many moons ago, all threatened into us by the very, very scary Mr. Burton - who was reputed (no without reason) to be ex. SAS.  None of us ever tested that rumour. 

We need a NOOOOOOOOOOO and an EEEEEEEEEEEEEK Emoji........

iD forgot Number 8 - it sings Kylie songs non-stop on an endless repeat loop, with "I should be so lucky" being every other one.

Bear here.....

Today sees yet more lounge light work - today it'll be bonding the plaster (ok, some lightweight plastic) ceiling rose to the ceiling.  As for the light itself, well that has one or two bits where the brass gilding(?) has tarnished to the point of being irrecoverable.  Turdycurses.  Bear does (hopefully) have a fix though - brass spray paint; I'll wait until Thursday to try that though (a cooler 25C predicted).  Apparently 34C is predicted over Bear Towers next Monday - at this rate a certain Bear will be checking the flights back to The Pole.....

In other news.....

This guy needs to learn to keep his trap shut:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/tennis/wimbledon-nick-kyrgios-450-000-of-fines-as-he-s-hit-with-another-one-for-outburst-in-front-of-prince-george/ar-AAZs99C?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=11189b9d853e45c783f3b625960891f7

As for gobbin' at spectators during Wombledon - well they should've kicked him out for that one.  😡

For the last time..

NO ONE HERE DRINKS FOSTERS!!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 16

Weather app on phone said drizzle in 15 minutes. Then it said it was drizzling. Was it drizzling? Was it <censored>!

Now it says light rain for 15:00. Not a forking cloud for miles. 30c with a Humidex of 34c. (not that the UK uses humidex but it is bloody sticky)

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, southern42 said:

I spy with my little eye....🌧️

I hear with my little ear some 🌧️ ... or at least I did earlier. We had a welcome shower (ironically I was in the bathroom, having a wash and heard it on the roof) though it's getting hot and sultry again now. Not as hot as yesterday or in France (phew...) but too warm for comfort. I don't like the way the numbers keep going up in the forecasts for Sunday and Monday:

Untitled.jpg.65dd733e7b0136c3a807bb91a24076ba.jpg

The Met Office are a degree or two less but we started the week with Sunday/Monday only in the mid 20s. I feel an Uncle Mort style comment coming on... 

Edited by The White Rabbit
Lost a bit of the OP.
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Anglesey, Bangor, Betws-y-coed, Caernarfon, Llanberis, Llandudno, Pwllheli, even Porthmadog: Cloudy weekend. No sign of sun being foreseen by pinecone predictors or seaweed twirlers. Max 24C.  That will knock down the numbers queueing for ice-cream!

If it is like today - cloudy, with tiddly showers - it could still be quite bright.

Edit - or the sun will prove them wrong and shine gloriously.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 11
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, southern42 said:

Anglesey, Bangor, Betws-y-coed, Caernarfon, Llanberis, Llandudno, Pwllheli, even Porthmadog: Cloudy weekend.

I will make the observation that these are all places in Wales. I'd be surprised if it didn't turn to rain.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Well the plastic ceiling rose is now glued n' screwed to the ceiling - a prop supports one side until the glue (Solvent Free Gripfill is well and truly, er, glued), which will be tomorrow; the ceiling isn't truly flat and level, though you'd never know by looking at it.

I've just keyed and sprayed the gilded parts of the light - I was going to leave it a few days but impatience got the better of me; luckily it seems to have worked just fine.  There was just one part that really needed spraying - that came out very nicely so I did a load of other parts as well so the finish matches (all the parts are from the central stem); there are three other brass parts but as they're at the far end of the arms holding the bulbs (and in pretty good nick) I'm going to leave those - there's also the heat of the bulbs to consider.

There was just one Turdycurses moment during proceedings (isn't there always?) - I was spraying the largest part and thought I'd just give it a couple more squirts for good luck when....a bluddy Greenfly landed on the wet paint 😡  After Bear cast dispersions on the parentage of the fly I decided the best plan was to wipe all the wet paint off using paper tissue soaked in Standard Thinners then spray the lot again.  Fortunately the fly squadron decided to keep well clear on the second attempt, no doubt having seen what happened to Green 1.....

• Like 12
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

This made the BBC News website - when the Police tried to stop the driver he tried to make a run for it......in a Rickshaw carrying 27 passengers 🤣

They fined him and confiscated his Rickshaw - personally I think a medal would've been more appropriate:

• Like 1
  • Funny 9