The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all 

Like the majority of the country its Scorchio.

Had a bad nights sleep had to keep getting up probably something to do with all the water I drank yesterday.

The grass has all gone brown I won't be cutting it again this week by the look of it.

Got prescriptions to collect this morning and her ladyship to take shopping.

The eldest's lightbulb has gone this morning I have loads of bulbs in stock apart from Edison screw E27 blooming typical pah and turdeycurses to quote esteemed contributors 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Result!

new appointment for more bloods and other tests .. booked... for 2 weeks time!

Sister Drac booked.. for 4 weeks time..

Doctor has set up an appointment for this week to discuss results .. one of which looks a bit  lot dodgy to me.

Time for a decaff..

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright and sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest corner, it’s currently 19C but it’s due to get a lot higher before the sun goes down. So, apart from the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, which I will undertake shortly, the plan is to stay inside, possibly the cellar as it’s nice and cool down there! 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The sciatica pain has now eased somewhat but I do get the odd twinge so I have to be careful. The outside temperature outside is now 26C according to the thingy at the bottom of my screen. Now time for a muggatee.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I believe, not having seen a ballot*, that US Presidential elections do offer a "write in" option - so you can choose a real person, or your favourite superhero to spoil you ballot as you wish.

There are occasionally rogue "write in" campaigns for people not on the ballot.

Other reports suggest some years have been particularly good for Mr Duck and Mr Mouse...   I wonder what odds W Hill have on Paddington? 

A 'mere' 28 degrees forecast here. Our thermometer had it at 23 an hour ago. Somehow, I suspect our lunch will be light and cold. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl, 

4 hours sleep followed by 3 hours sleep a good night..

Currently the screen above me tells me it's 28C outside, however the official temperature across at the airport in a well ventilated white box is 23C.

Sleepers, some years ago I bought a job lot of 20, retired sleepers.. 2/3 are I was told European white oak, the others are some sort of red wood. I really don't like cutting them, as quite a few don't just have the bolt holes but the bolts and other bits of metal embedded in them. I know there was an huge difference in weight between them.

Some time soon most of them are going to have to be moved, some to the site of the loom shed, some to make a new raised bed (two on edge high). I think it's going to be somewhat harder work to move them now than it was 20 years ago when I put them in place..

Meanwhile I've been put on to Redit.. By a friend at work, because they were discussing a radar I worked on, so much complete twaddle was being spoken, I had to correct a lot of their suppositions..

Working on a major system at the moment, the Old boss is reviewing the system I did before going north , as the new boss is overloaded with work as according to the new family tree he's keeping his old tasks as well..

But first

it's tea break..

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Phone app now showing 28°C and it feels like it.  We needed some milk and other odds & ends so went for an 8 minute walk to get some and that was far enough.  The bus stop for my hospital visit is further than that and as it will probably be a lot hotter after lunch I've now booked a cab and sod the expense.  I did think about driving but can't really grip properly so am not going to risk it.  As usual Sod's law says that no relatives or friends are available to drive me this afternoon.  I might get the bus back though as the stop is a one minute walk from the pub.  😁

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

On 07/07/2022 at 15:39, simontaylor484 said:

.... I managed half an hours weeding whilst Pebbles enjoyed the shady part of her outdoor play pen. She then shared a bowl of goat milk with Rolo 

Dachshunds are really endearing dogs. You may enjoy this, Simon https://iheartdogs.com/33-funny-unique-dachshund-names-csc/?iid=BottomRelatedPosts.

A bit OTT sometimes, but the dogs are sweet!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Things were going swimmingly this morning until I bent down to put my slippers on and Si Attica jumped in, Nurofen has been deployed. This came up in my in-box this morning.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/trans-pride-london-march-b2119605.html

@chrisf might know a few of those mentioned.

He might, but he will never know because he is rather averse to registering on webshites and using passwords just to read something!

Chris

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Looks like Diesel Oil - and I suspect tastes like it too.

More diagnostic evidence that The Bear may be suffering from Mono Gustatory Cell Dysgeusia.

Guinness - when properly stored and poured - is ambrosial!

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

As yesterday was the first time in ages since I Iast went along the North Wales coast road, the A55 at Aber (gwyngregyn) had some significant changes.  Most of the vehicles, machinery and huts, previously on the seaward side were now on the other side of the road, the westbound traffic moving on the eastbound side of the dual carriagway, while we were trundling along (note speed limit sign) what will be an access road for the farms and cycle path on the seaward side.

IMG_5497.thumb.jpeg.76c810bf36e015221de6133e15208cbe.jpeg

The farm access road; travelling east; sea to the left.

Homeward bound.

IMG_5531.thumb.jpeg.346f1894d8b88b6e6823e22a64a9918b.jpeg

Travelling west we move onto the eastbound section of the carriageway.

IMG_5538.thumb.jpeg.37cef234a0d7993e4cca566dc0f8f311.jpeg

The new section of the westbound lane is well underway.

IMG_5542.thumb.jpeg.695b21932086d27d51fa5a5fab239e12.jpeg

Not seen one of these before that I recollect but, there again, I am not in the habit of road building vehicle spotting - least ways, not outside this particular project.

A few miles down the road it is back to normal...

IMG_5547.thumb.jpeg.cecb3815d7708a927c80e0846253cdb3.jpeg

On getting home, I wanted to check out my guess that the river I photographed yesterday came down from Aber Falls up in the mountain range. Indeed, it does!  If you saw my photos, posted yesterday, I have noted some positions on the map. Not a long walk but plenty long enough in the sun's heat even with a sea breeze which was not felt in the sections between or behind bushy vegetation.

268001807_Abergwyngregyngooglemapannotated.png.bb812153862864ae96e81c1259e9a3f8.png

Sunny, today, so I will have to get out in the garden and enjoy the 'summer' while it lasts.

Hope your day goes well and is not too hot.

Polly

Edited by southern42
typo
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, southern42 said:

IMG_5542.thumb.jpeg.695b21932086d27d51fa5a5fab239e12.jpeg

Not seen one of these before that I recollect but, there again, I am not in the habit of road building vehicle spotting - least ways, not outside this particular project.

Polly

That's what i used to know as a Barber Green in my yoof.  Tarmac spreader. Often seen with a lorry with it's tipper bed raised gently depositing warm ashphalt intp the hopper at the far end, gently pushes the lorty along and leaves a neat stretch if new tarmac behind it.  I first saw one in acti9n aged 6 on w single track road heading up to Dent forva holiday.  I distinguished myself by getting black sticky tar on my young mitts.  The Barber Green driver kindly washed them with petrol from the machine which pleased my mother.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

**STOP PRESS!!**

News to make a Bear very happy.......

Former Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone will be charged with fraud by false representation over an alleged failure to declare £400 million of overseas assets to the government.

The charge against the 91-year-old was authorised by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) on Monday following an investigation by Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Andrew Penhale, chief crown prosecutor, said: “The CPS has reviewed a file of evidence from HMRC and has authorised a charge against Bernard Ecclestone of fraud by false representation in respect of his failure to declare to HMRC the existence of assets held overseas believed to be worth in excess of £400m.

As fellow ER'ers may have deduced a certain Bear isn't a fan of that little scrote; what's even better is the fact that upsetting HMRC is never a good move - he'll be really popular in the Nick....

In other news.....

Bear has managed to remove the existing lounge ceiling pendant light and rework the wiring (four twin & earth mains cables) into a Wago Box so the whole lot could then be poked up inside the floor void (the box can still be accessed at a later date if necessary from above, by lifting a floorboard); there's now just one cable coming down thru' the ceiling that'll be used for the decorative lounge light.  All sounds pretty simple, doesn't it?  Well it would've been, apart from the ceiling hole had to be opened out to something like 50 x 50mm in order for the box to fit thru'.  And the ceiling was lath & plaster that had subsequently been boarded over with plasterboard & plastered - and the hole had to be made bigger without damaging the cables in (and above) the hole.  What joy....

Oh yes, and every so often "The Back" would casually call out and say "Hellooooo, I'm still here ......and just waiting for Bear to push his luck - and if Bear does I'll get my own back......."

Now it's time to see about fixing the fake plaster rose thingy to the ceiling......

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... I sometimes wonder how humans manage to live in Australia, given that nature is so inimicable. Apart from the fact that the wildlife is poisonous and/or dangerous as hell, the vegetation really, really wishes you ill…one way or another…🤣  ...snip...

A few years ago our pastor said that God has never made any mistakes. I replied that He sure did, but He hid them all in Australia!

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Darlington_Shed said:

The info about the greater cruise industry is interesting and I'd say they're doing a pretty good job but, obviously, with covid pretty much endemic now there'll always be a risk.

I have only taken one cruise (well, several if you count the Staten Island Ferry) and I survived it. I have absolutely NO plans on taking any more of them. The boats are too big, too crowed, and too everything!

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

Looks like Diesel Oil - and I suspect tastes like it too. ...snip...

I tried it once, the real stuff imported from Ireland; well, tasting like Diesel, I am not sure of, but I sure did not like it. All that I can say is that the Irish can keep it!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

So much for an afternoon in the sun - the sun went in! 🤣

The wind has got up, too.

No excuse to bottle out of the muddling, then. 

Best get the jam jar lid refilled and the large tin of patience out.

Transfers here we come...

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4