The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Only just morning I know. I woke up at 06:30 this morning, decided to lay in for another hour... Three hours later I woke up again. At one time at every local election there was a chap on the ballot paper who had changed his name by deed poll to 'ZZ None Of The Above' and in one council election he polled more votes than one of the other candidates.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Have to collect a parcel shortly. It was supposed to be delivered on Friday but I was out. Fortunately the sorting office is open until three o'clock today. There is only pay and display parking near the sorting office Monday-Saturday. Its privatised and run by a bunch of thieving b@rst@rds who don't even accept disabled drivers. The machines rarely work anyway as its more profitable for them to slap you with a none payment fee of £80.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Darlington_Shed said:

Having successfully dodged the virus for more than two years, I have finally succumbed to the inevitable. To make matters worse, the blighter tracked me down in the middle of the Mediterranean where Mrs Shed and I are mid-cruise.

I will see out the remainder of the holiday confined to quarters in an isolation cabin. In truth it's not all bad - room service on demand, 300 movies on the TV- but not the holiday we had in mind. Mrs Shed continues to test negative and is enjoying her liberty.

Perhaps the worst aspect is that my symptoms are no worse than the oft-reported 'bad cold. As our learned friend would put it, pah!!

Stay safe all

We would have been on a Med cruise around now (oft rebooked from an Iceland cruise in 2020) but although we know people who have been recently, Aditi decided to delay again. So we are now booked for 2023. Does the isolation cabin have a view. I wouldn’t like to be in an inside cabin. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Does the isolation cabin have a view. I wouldn’t like to be in an inside cabin. 

Certainly agree with that Tony.  On our Norway cruise in April our cabin was about 6 away from the isolation zone and I got a daily wave from a guy on one of the balconies there who was there the whole time of the cruise.  He seemed quite cheerful...don't think I would have been.

We're booked on another cruise next April provided things don't go more pear shaped.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

One part of me says "What's the point"?

Another part of me says "What's the point"?

Then. another 

Then another

Until there's no parts left

At a grand plus a nip. 

I suppose the word 'collector' says it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-62082200

I would, if I could.

Mind you, I’d bottle it and

• Drink it myself
  • Give some bottles to friends
  • Auction off some bottles to raise money for charity
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:
  • Drink it myself
  • Give some bottles to friends
  • Auction off some bottles to raise money for charity

Give away - yes, very few people with eight million to spend of a cask of whisky would know the meaning of those words.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

image.png.62924e521b18556c13ac949cfa8655e3.png

He's got this Bear's vote.  If only........

In other news.....

Journey's into Beam Land (a.k.a The Loft) don't make for a great visitor experience just at the moment......  🥵

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I have long thought that “None of the Above” should appear on every ballot paper. If (in the British first-past-the-post system) this was to be the majority vote then a new poll would be required. I could also argue that this should require that none of the previous candidates is eligible to re-stand....

When a student, I upset my landlady (who was rather political) by advocating something very similar in response to her insistence that voting should be compulsory. Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance in company but I still don't see what was wrong with my idea of being able to vote for someone/something rather than picking the least worst from a pre-selected list of options. 

Of course, if you were feeling particularly naughty, you could start a petition along those lines and see if we can force politicians to face something close to reality ...

4 hours ago, polybear said:

At which point I'll say no more, cos' The P Word is dangerously close.  Oops.

Wot he said... 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Another warm one. Roast at gas mark six until crisp unt light brown... 

Thankfully we have a garden of our own and are not (touch wood) in quarantine. Sympathies and positive thoughts to Darlington Shed and anyone else under Life's cosh at the moment. I hope things pass asap. 

A little seed collecting done earlier. Bird baths topped up - though the birds all seem to be taking it very easy and sheltering in the trees with the thickest leaf canopies they can find. I do like panoramic views but at the moment, a deep burrow is more attractive than a loft. I shall have to face ours again next week. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Have to collect a parcel shortly. It was supposed to be delivered on Friday but I was out. Fortunately the sorting office is open until three o'clock today. There is only pay and display parking near the sorting office Monday-Saturday. Its privatised and run by a bunch of thieving b@rst@rds who don't even accept disabled drivers. The machines rarely work anyway as its more profitable for them to slap you with a none payment fee of £80.

I have collected my parcel. I was expecting a long queue but much to my surprise the office was empty so I collected my parcel and came home.

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

Well it would be fair to say that I am cream crackered.

One new fence post has been put in.

Sounds a simple task but as ever it has turned into something far more difficult.

Firstly where it had to go there was 1/2 inch of soil the rest concrete. Mot normal concrete but the rock hard stuff mixed with grano dust. We eventually managed to break our way through it using the SDS drill with chisels as a breaker. Then to top it off we encountered a rather stout piece of angle iron. I think it was a straining post for chain link fencing from the gas works days. (After the gas works closed it was used as a depot by British Gas for pipeline repairs).

We had to dig further down then cut the angle out with a metsl cutting disc in the grinder.

The new post went in and was secured with M10 coach screws which went in easily with a socket adapter in the impact driver.

The post was then concreted in using post Crete.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

@DaveF sounds like PAS is scrubbing your tyres in the sharp turns you are doing.

The pothole could have knocked the tracking out of whack 

Frankenrose that was deadheaded yesterday has burst into bloom again today.its a shame The flowers aren't on long stems for a vase.

Sweet peas are in the vase at the moment freshly picked this morning 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. And a very hot Estuary-Land it is, 28C. at the moment but a short while ago it was 29C. Pollen count is high so I'm staying indoors. Too hot even for the microwave so its cold meat and salad for dinner or maybe pork pie instead of the cold meat.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Alexa is predicting "a partly cloudy day" over Bear Towers tomorrow, but still 32C.  It's a good job it won't be a clear blue sky.

Nottalot (= two thirds of three fifths of bvggerall) achieved today.  Turdycurses.  Bit of a Black Bear day as a result.  Hopefully things will be better tomorrow.  I have the ceiling light to do, which will get quite involved at times; I may also go and take a look at some hardwood (oak) for the windowsill and mantlepiece, which will probably need to be ordered as I'd like them cut to specific widths cos' it's a lot easier that way.  I feel a significant loss of tokens approaching yet again.  Double Turdycurses.  

I'm getting dangerously close to having to ponder choosing carpet at this rate as well, which is kinda worrying.  Serious Cake Tokens may be departing Bear Towers, never to be seen again. 😭

• Friendly/supportive 17

@polybear if you are getting oak get the supplier to cut as much as possible its an absolute bu99er to cut as its hard.

I turned an oak bowl and had to keep resharpening the gouges.

I also made an oak tealight holder again a bu99er to drill out. The cross I made for MIl's grave again was oak that made decent router cutters (Trend) work for their money

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. No hot food today, dinner was a potato salad. Funny thing is I can't stand salad cream or cold boiled potatoes on their own but I quite like them combined. The fox cubs have kept out of the sun today, only moving with the shade as the sun crosses the sky. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

The final countdown.  The Macmillan Marathon walk is next Saturday.  The forecast is 31C 😮🔥.  A temperature I am quite comfortable with normally but for walking 26 and a bit miles .....???  

This week I have to be especially aware of hydration and avoid too much junk food.  

The House of Fun beckons early in the morning.  I'll say goodnight all - sleep safe and well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16