The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Mate wait til you try it with a slice of beetroot and a ring of pineapple on top!

Is that pickled beetroot (i.e. in vinegar), or plain (i.e. boiled or roasted) ? Asking for a friend. 😊

• Like 7
  • Funny 6

16 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

Is that pickled beetroot (i.e. in vinegar), or plain (i.e. boiled or roasted) ? Asking for a friend. 😊

Gotta be the tinned one!

image.png.99f6bae072dd0ccceea622b9917e5399.png

The other ones would just be weird..

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

KitKat - my favourite confection.

Dave

Overall - no. Line honours there go to “Double Decker”. But some of the specials KitKat turn out are very worthy contenders 

Chunky white chocolate was the best. Not currently available though the white chocolate regular four-finger sometimes is. 

Chunky peanut butter is also in the awesome category but I have to remember  never to carry one into my sister’s house. She also loves them but nephew-the-youngest has a severe peanut allergy meaning anything which might have met a peanut in its production is not allowed indoors. 

Evening all. It had been quite warm thank you topping out at 30C. It is still warm for the time of day but this is only the rehearsal. It gets and stays warmer for several days ahead now. 

And guess who is walking 26 miles for charity a week tomorrow. 

We enjoyed breakfast out - literally - at the open-air tables of our cafe in the park. Since when apart from watering the gardens we have mostly stayed quietly indoors avoiding hayfever, dehydration and sunburn!  

We managed some “Australian” laundry - washing duvets and pillows and getting them air-dried within an hour.  On a hot Melbourne day the first of your laundry us dry before you have hung up the last!  

I re-stocked the beer supplies from our friend at Jawbone Brewing and sampled one of his newest brews - a delicious 4% “session” IPA - as a celebration of Friday Drinks. 

And that was the last day of my summer leave.  The weekend lies ahead followed by a return to the House of Fun. 

88912237-89F8-4371-83AF-F5E73167F932.jpeg.0d64a97fe7a28fcddad55ca68f43c8d0.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gotta be the tinned one!

Ah, I've never seen those. Maybe I had a sheltered upbringing. I was exposed to pickled beetroot as a child, and hated it at that time, but now I will happily steam beetroot and then slice them - similar to roasting, but doesn't use the oven.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Mate wait til you try it with a slice of beetroot and a ring of pineapple on top!

4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Gotta be the tinned one!

I have posted this before, but at school we had field trips to the Golden Circle pineapple cannery at Northgate, QLD. It still looked like this in the early 1970s. There was a visitor's gallery where you looked down on the canning lines.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, zarniwhoop said:

Ah, I've never seen those. Maybe I had a sheltered upbringing. I was exposed to pickled beetroot as a child, and hated it at that time, but now I will happily steam beetroot and then slice them - similar to roasting, but doesn't use the oven.

A slice must go on “Aussie” burgers though not always on a “burger with the lot” for deeply mysterious cultural reasons.  “W/lot” seldom if ever includes everything on offer but typically does include cheese, fried onions, lettuce, gherkin*, tomato (might be grilled or raw), fried egg and usually a pineapple ring. But not always beetroot. 

They also go on salads. Most burger bars / vans / fishnchip shops I ever visited downunder had catering-sized tins of sliced finger-stainer.  

I will admit to liking it.  

* also known as pickle, dill pickle or (locally in the east of London) as a wally. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

11 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

I was exposed to pickled beetroot as a child, and hated it at that time, but now I will happily steam beetroot and then slice them - similar to roasting, but doesn't use the oven.

The standard Aussie tinned beetroot is similar to pickled - the tins contain a mild brine with acid and sugar. They also offer pickled as an option.

Ingredients

Beetroot (61%)

Water

Sugar

Food Acid (260)

Salt

Herb & Spice Flavours.

The online nutritional information is a bit vague:

Sodium per 100 (g?) 250 (mg?)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Beetroot eeugh 

Double Deckers definatley but they have shrunk in size.

Kit kats yes 

@Gwiwer how old is the Hill of Strawberries it has a look of Arts and Crafts style about it. Also it looks to have Art Deco style Crittall windows. 

Edited by simontaylor484
Further thoughts
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Beetroot is best unadulterated by vinegar or any other substances, just boiled and allowed to cool. My little foxy friend has started scratching at the glass of the patio doors again. I've also noticed that he is in fact a she. I don't feed them but I've started leaving a bowl of water out for them due to the hot weather.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

“W/lot” seldom if ever includes everything on offer but typically does include cheese, fried onions, lettuce, gherkin*, tomato (might be grilled or raw), fried egg and usually a pineapple ring. But not always beetroot. 

In the late 1970s / early 1980s "sprouts" (bean sprouts) started to appear "w/lot" in Queensland, (to make the burgers "healthy" and trendy) at least until people were infected with one of the wonder trio: E. coli, Listeria or salmonella; from the sprouts.

I don't recall grilled tomato, and beetroot was usually at least an option "w/lot".

A lot of (fast casual, as opposed to fast food) burger places in the US do offer pineapple - but usually in the "teriyaki burger" - meaning with teriyaki sauce.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, simontaylor484 said:

I knew I don't eat sprouts for a reason

My late father always called them fartballs. 

I, in my turn, refer to cucumbers as “burptubers”. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Congratulations on finally disposing of your idiot-in-chief 🤪 I see it reported he doesn't really have anywhere to live now, what a surprise, he isn't exactly and expect at PLANNING!!

Unfortunately, this chapter is not over until he hands over the keys to No.10. I would not put it past him to go "full trump" in stirring up those extremists who were among the supporters of the B word. And I hope he never watched Dr. Strangelove.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

51 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

A slice must go on “Aussie” burgers though not always on a “burger with the lot” for deeply mysterious cultural reasons.  “W/lot” seldom if ever includes everything on offer but typically does include cheese, fried onions, lettuce, gherkin*, tomato (might be grilled or raw), fried egg and usually a pineapple ring. But not always beetroot. 

They also go on salads. Most burger bars / vans / fishnchip shops I ever visited downunder had catering-sized tins of sliced finger-stainer.  

I will admit to liking it.  

* also known as pickle, dill pickle or (locally in the east of London) as a wally. 

And (in NSW at least), bacon. Also your choice of either of the two sauces - tomato or BBQ.

Mark Warlberg actor and one time rapper  Marky Mark apparently has a burger chain in the US with his brother or something. Did a pop-up  shop on Circular Quay a while ago which had instagrammers,  and social influencers, people who feel they need to take photos of everything they eat  and the  must-be-there-to-be-seens  queueing  to get one of their specialty burgers, which was basically an Aussie with the lot but without the beetroot, and paying $22 for it  - the d1ckheads, every corner shop in the country would have sold them the same thing for $9.50.  And with beetroot. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Apart from my 2 shopping trips this morning, I’ve not done a lot. Whilst at the butchers I saw my cousin who was also there. I’ve not seen her since Sunday, when we were at my aunt and uncle’s 60th wedding anniversary bash, before that it was probably around the turn of the year when we last saw each other. 

After dinner we both had a quiet afternoon, sat on the sofa, reading the magazines I bought this morning. 

KitKats, I do like them especially the dark chocolate ones. I used to really like the dark chocolate and mint ones, but the pay don’t make them anymore, I’m also quite fond of dark bounties, dark chocolate toblerone, dark chocolate........you get the idea. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Later, we're off to see Rod Stewart. Concert this evening, the latest in a long line of probable "last" opportunities to see some performers.

My brother-in-law saw the show in Houston a couple of nights ago and said it was great.

Edited by pH
Spelling
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

KitKats, I do like them especially the dark chocolate ones. I used to really like the dark chocolate and mint ones, but the pay don’t make them anymore, I’m also quite fond of dark bounties, dark chocolate toblerone, dark chocolate........you get the idea. 

image.png.e868afb071467b3d9d1eb7401540e9cf.pngimage.png.928dc68452b581378a6cc44c1a871870.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

The usual accomplished or otherwise. Nothing to get concerned about unless you include the ink, from a transfer coated with waterproof glazing, drifting through the water in the lid of a jam jar! Needless to say, more glazing was applied to the sheet the transfer came from. Fingers crossed for tomorrow’s attempt.

But for now, ‘ night all and nos da.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

KitKats, I do like them especially the dark chocolate ones. I used to really like the dark chocolate and mint ones, but the pay don’t make them anymore

Available Kit-Kats 'flavours' are quite random in different regions. As @monkeysarefun linked above there are many unusual flavours available in Japan. (A quick search showed Amazon offering a pack of 21 different Japanese varieties. Others were available. A couple of the ones with English titles are 'Uji Matcha' and 'Hokkaido Melon and Mascarpone Cheese'.)

A range of "Duos" (including the dark chocolate/mint) is available in the US, manufactured under license by Hershey (and yes the chocolate is not as good, but far better than regular Hershey's chocolate.) Dark chocolate/strawberry is good too.

Online their current limited edition flavour is 'Blueberry Muffin'. The US online store offers Easter Lemon Crisp, Gingerbread, Fruity Cereal Candy, Key Lime Pie and Pumpkin Pie.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

All the flooding has caused local wildlife to turn up in odd spots.

An Eastern Brown Snake ("worlds second deadliest snake!") looking for a new home down town, usually don't see them in winter.

Despite it being a pretty decent kind of size it's tricky to spot it amongst the leaves - @flavio this is why we laugh in the face of our dangerous burgers.

image.thumb.png.c849e24ba3c56383b264b4facd45d0e8.png

1457743569_Screenshot(519).png.6370493fee46ea8f59617c198d0666ba.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1