The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Congratulations on finally disposing of your idiot-in-chief 🤪 I see it reported he doesn't really have anywhere to live now, what a surprise, he isn't exactly and expect at PLANNING!!

Bear was kinda sad to learn that his opposite number (plus side-kick) won't be fined after all - they could've had a combined leaving do....

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

A slightly frazzled Q after driving 402 miles, but at least no major hold ups, further details when I've recovered.

We did, in the radar world, have someone look down the barrel, a painter climbed the aerial and taped up the output horn prior to painting without checking it was switched off first.

A microwave oven is maybe 1,500 Watts,

A radar magnetron of the type we used, puts out 4,000,000 Watts, needless to say he wasn't well afterwards...

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Thanks for the likes on our decorating and gardenong efforts.

Skipping again, as had to go to Leominster this morning, then came back and was bidden to get the Karcher out - so the back garden has now had a good wash, as has the front path.

ANy birthday wishes that I have missed are hereby marked, with apologies.

Music lovers, this has just come into my inbox - they really do make a great pair, and are appearing in the UK later this month, but I can't spare the time to go and see them.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Afternoon awl,

A slightly frazzled Q after driving 402 miles, but at least no major hold ups, further details when I've recovered.

We did, in the radar world, have someone look down the barrel, a painter climbed the aerial and taped up the output horn prior to painting without checking it was switched off first.

A radar magnetron of the type we used, puts out 4,000,000 Watts, needless to say he wasn't well afterwards...

And he probably glowed like he had consumed ready brek

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

A'noon.

Hot here with one app claiming it's 29°C,  t'other one says 31°C.  Er I believe that counts as scorchio.

No hair has been removed (no need for anyone to say found!) as we just didn't get a round tuit.

Not been in a Shed visiting mood (again) and done nottalot although I have been watching T de F each day where possible and did again this afternoon. 

As it seems to be about beer o'clock I think a bottle of Landlord can be opened and savoured.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, polybear said:

… they could've had a combined leaving do....

I think the term you were looking for was combined work event.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Bear recalls a story where the security was "tested" one night at RAF Boulmer; someone (Special Forces?) snuck around in the dark planting little boxes with "Bomb" written on them at various locations; he then marched into the C.O.'s Office next morning and smugly told him what he'd done (without being detected) then spent the night on the roof of one of the buildings.  The C.O. then pointed out that the Radar on the same roof had been on all night.....looking for the Ruskies trying to sneak in, so kinda powerful....and he'd better get down to the Medics' Office PDQ....

There was also the story of the Antenna on the Ship's Radar....they have "DO NOT PAINT" neatly stencilled on them....so that, er, nobody paints them....

So what does Van Gough do?  Neatly masks off the lettering then paints the rest with Battleship Grey....

In other news....

Bear now has a Radiator.  And nice shiny chrome pipework.  And the whole lot are connected together as they should be.  Big Tick.  No idea if it leaks or not yet though, cos' I've not let the water in to that bit - tomorrow, maybe.  Total cost was two and a bit new Deltics 😭  Could've got the choo choos and shivered instead. 

Bear's new vertical blind for the lounge was also delivered - that'll be the fun (not) for tomorrow.  There's five fixing brackets, each needing two screws into the wall.  Unfortunately the wall area needing drilling is where the concrete lintel above the window is - and that's a b1tch to drill without the hole wandering.  The SDS drill will be coming out of hibernation methinks.  If it goes badly then I'll be screwing a wooden batten to the wall (a lot less screws) then fixing the brackets to that.

• Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

One of our Phantoms was at USAF Bitburg one day in the late 70s and on startup a slight hydraulic leak in one of the utilities systems was detected. The USAF crew chief opened a panel where there was hydraulic fluid dripping out and with the aircraft's engines still running, I.e., the hydraulic systems were pressurised to 3,000 psi, ran his hand along the hydraulic pipe to see where the leak was. When two of his fingers were neatly sliced off he knew.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Over the years in transport i had a couple of drivers with their right hand ring finger amputated about half way up. Both caused by getting wedding rings caught/trapped

Left hand, surely?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

The same thing happened to a Canberra navigator in Singapore when he was jumping out of the side door after shutdown and his wedding ring snagged on the raised lip. 

Dave

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2022 at 20:09, PupCam said:

Evening All!

Snip<

In Other News

I was reading an interesting article in the current issue of Real Classic (old motorcycles magazine) on the joys of old BMW air-cooled twins.     It was written by some bloke called Neil who's wife also rides and they had moved from the mainland (I infer) to the Isle of Man sometime back.   Could it be?   No, surely not?

TTFNQ

Alan

Aha, it is I, Leclerc!

Now please note those two photos were taken 38 and 36 years ago respectively, and I now look nothing like that!  Rather more....grey...(totally, well white really) ....much fatter......and only slightly wiser!

#edit - I thought the other smudges came out quite well, considering I took them!  Try to present Fraggle Rock as well as I can.

Hope you enjoyed the article, Rowena was especially pleased with it due to the 'bits do fall off' content!

In my other news, SPT's continue to make me very tired, they had a great day on the beach on the Gower today, ran us ragged. 

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The same thing happened to a Canberra navigator in Singapore when he was jumping out of the side door after shutdown and his wedding ring snagged on the raised lip. 

Dave

(Anyone of a sensitive disposition should not read this...).

I'm afraid a worse fate befell a pongo in Germany in the 1980s - jumping out of a lorry in a hurry, he hurdled the tailgate too closely - and 'snagged' his wedding tackle. Lost both. AFAIK, that was without the 'intervention' of any rings... 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A bit late but I'm watching the 'Antiques Roadshow'. One of the items was a smallish collection of railway ephemera purchased for £75 sold for £290.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

(Anyone of a sensitive disposition should not read this...).

I'm afraid a worse fate befell a pongo in Germany in the 1980s - jumping out of a lorry in a hurry, he hurdled the tailgate too closely - and 'snagged' his wedding tackle. Lost both. AFAIK, that was without the 'intervention' of any rings... 

Is there an ouch button.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

KitKat - my favourite confection.

Dave

Hmmm, I liked it enough that I just may get one when I do my grocery shopping but only every other week. Do not want to become addicted to them, you know!

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2