The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thanks for all the birthday wishes, I did SFA yesterday, just watched a couple of programs on the TV, no celebrations as such.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Did you see the Choo Choo?

Indeed I did, unfortunately it is not operational. I have a photograph of it somewhere, I'll have to dig it out. Chattanooga is/was a railroad town and at the time I was there (1979) the streets were crisscrossed by tracks but even then many of them were redundant and have probably been removed by now. There's still plenty of railroad interest with the Tennessee Valley Railroad nearby. Here is a pic of the Choo-Choo.

https://skift.com/2014/05/04/chattanooga-looks-to-revive-rail-culture-with-million-dollar-transport-project/

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Two words.. Cheese fondue!

Nothing wrong with cheese fondue, my simian friend!

The secret to a great cheese fondue is to get the right cheeses and the right mixture of those cheeses. Unfortunately, the cheeses you need are rarely exported from Switzerland (and even in Switzerland can be hard to track down if you are not in the Suisse Romande)

Would you really prefer to have a Vegetable And Tuna JELLO Wreath over a cheese fondue made from local farmer’s cheeses?

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

A question for all ERs.

Why does your first cup of tea or coffee in a morning always run out when you need more?

Baz

(and others)

Coffee.jpg.b8af0cfe11637b95ecc3480b19acb9f9.jpg

1919032795_Mondaycoffee.jpg.23074976c6949a0e16c3736c2eff1ac0.jpg

Personally, I blame evaporation... 

42 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Given the apparent IQ of some of these gun-g ho idiots (see what I did there?) maybe a partial cure would be to issue them with instructions for using their weapons showing them being held the wrong way round.

Dave

Possibly not necessary. One Darwin Award winner was California would-be robber James Elliot. When his .38 calibre revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach, California, he did something that can only inspire wonder (at least amongst us). He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked. 

Another warm day due, so I'd better get on with it rather than looking through my collection of cartoons. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Nothing wrong with cheese fondue, my simian friend!

The secret to a great cheese fondue is to get the right cheeses and the right mixture of those cheeses. Unfortunately, the cheeses you need are rarely exported from Switzerland (and even in Switzerland can be hard to track down if you are not in the Suisse Romande)

Would you really prefer to have a Vegetable And Tuna JELLO Wreath over a cheese fondue made from local farmer’s cheeses?

Nah, Aussie hamburger "with the lot" for the win!

image.png.5c6eb4198213293b265b863ea3d13c82.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, 

Sunny and wall to wall blue sky, currently 22°C possibly rising to 28/29°C. 

That will be too hot for me so I'll be staying in the shade today.  

Hand hurts a bit this morning and the dressing has come a bit adrift so I'm going to have to enlist the help of Nurse Boss to put it right.  Nottalot happening today but my ears need lowering so BarberBoss will probably take a couple of minutes out of her hectic schedule to deal with that as well.

Anothermuggacoffeeneeded,

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thanks for all the birthday wishes, I did SFA yesterday, just watched a couple of programs on the TV, no celebrations as such.

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Did you see the Choo Choo?

Indeed I did, unfortunately it is not operational. I have a photograph of it somewhere, I'll have to dig it out. Chattanooga is/was a railroad town and at the time I was there (1979) the streets were crisscrossed by tracks but even then many of them were redundant and have probably been removed by now. There's still plenty of railroad interest with the Tennessee Valley Railroad nearby. Here is a pic of the Choo-Choo.

https://skift.com/2014/05/04/chattanooga-looks-to-revive-rail-culture-with-million-dollar-transport-project/

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Nottalot happening today but my ears need lowering so Barber Boss will probably take a couple of minutes out of her hectic schedule to deal with that as well.

Anothermuggacoffeeneeded,

Have a good one,

Bob.

Don't you mean seconds?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

22 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Nah, Aussie hamburger "with the lot" for the win!

image.png.5c6eb4198213293b265b863ea3d13c82.png

Choose from one of the following “sides”

1. Myocardial infarction
  2. Pancreatitis
  3. Indigestion and/or GERD
  4. Hypercholesterolaemia

🤣🤣🤣

p.s. one every six months or so shouldn’t hurt, but what’s that weird yellow stuff under what appears to be sliced beetroot?

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Choose from one of the following “sides”

1. Myocardial infarction
  2. Pancreatitis
  3. Indigestion and/or GERD
  4. Hypercholesterolaemia

🤣🤣🤣

p.s. one every six months or so shouldn’t hurt, but what’s that weird yellow stuff under what appears to be sliced beetroot?

Tomatoes and lettuce aren't that bad for you surely? The yellow stuff is pineapple, not a hamburger without beetroot and pineapple.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Tomatoes and lettuce aren't that bad for you surely? The yellow stuff is pineapple, not a hamburger without beetroot and pineapple.

Where's barff button when you need it?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Possibly not necessary. One Darwin Award winner was California would-be robber James Elliot. When his .38 calibre revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach, California, he did something that can only inspire wonder (at least amongst us). He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked. 

Whilst attending an Aircrew Survival Course a certain Bear witnessed one Bozo peer down the scary end of a Distress Flare cos' it didn't go off; the trigger mechanism is such that you pull the trigger back then slide your thumb off, allowing the plunger to shoot forwards under spring pressure and fire the burning flare a few hundred metres into the air.  At the point where he was peering down the end he still had the plunger pulled back and hadn't slid his thumb off.....

Bozo failed the course for some reason....

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold

I spent quite a lot of time yesterday moving books around which led to a good result.  All the books I know I will keep now fit on shelves.  The paperbacks which I will probably get rid of once I've read them fit in neat piles on top of the bokshelves.  But... the is always a but ... when I had finished I realised that the books that have come fairly recently with photos by Dad or myself are still in a pile on a coffee table in the living room.  I wonder how I missed them?  So some more thought and book moving will be needed.

I did the Radio Times puzzles while I had coffee, I cannot see where I went wrong in the Sudoku, I managed to get 2 8s in the same line - I can't be bothered to do it again.  Then the double glazing man came to sort out the garage back door which needed a small adjustment.  If it happens again I know what to do now.  We discussed a crack in the brickwork which will need dealing with in due course.

After chicken with all the usual bits for lunch I went to the flat and found a book of mine I had missed, together with a couple of others and (I hope) the last other bits.  I was just leaving when I saw Mum's next door neighbour who is 98 and went to have a chat with her.  She has just started having carers in the morning to help her get up and, like Mum was, now usually needs a wheelchair outside.  She looks older than she did but was quite cheerful.

Next I drove to Morepth, parked on the grass verge by the railway beyond the station and took a few photos, some from the footbridge, some at the station and by the roadside which made for a very pleasant hour or so.  When I got home my neighbours across the road askedme to have a cup of tea with them, they will be away for a few days and asked if I could look after their plants - no problem.

David

• Like 17

Greetings all from the fold in the hill, which seems to be sizzling in the afternoon sun. The swifts were flying high and screaming their enthusiasm for insects when I took the hint of the washing machine beeping and emptied and hung out the washing. One of the disadvantages of WFH is that you find yourself breaking off work to do it....

Meanwhile I could just about see a gull riding the thermals very high.

Otherwise, work is being done and emails sent. 

I was also pleased to note on my walk back from dropping off the car for Mrs Lurker, a few ripe blackberries, and even some raspberries growing wild. Naturaly I had to eat a few!

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 16

POETS, will be happening, more later 

Yesterday another pedestrian walk through boredom of report modifications <sigh>

Today will be much of the same.

It WAS BIN day though - day late, but NOT a dollar short - rather quiet initially, but the parade has now begun with a vengence. Trucks galore (sounds like a 007 movie character )!

Later, we're off to see Rod Stewart. Concert this evening, the latest in a long line of probable "last" opportunities to see some performers.

Little else definitive planned for the weekend, I'm sure we can find something to do though, we always do.

Congratulations on finally disposing of your idiot-in-chief 🤪 I see it reported he doesn't really have anywhere to live now, what a surprise, he isn't exactly and expect at PLANNING!!

21 at BIN time, sunny and getting humid again, expected to reach 28 and a fairly good chance of rain later in the day.

Hope your weekend starts well - at least mop-head has gone, so that's a good start to it probably 🤣🤣

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

It sounds like a Wile E Coyote type of gag but very unfunny consequences I do wonder if it was an ACME flare.

Similar to this (from 5m 19s onwards), though with somewhat more "oomph" IIRC:

- imagine a blast from one of those in yer moosh.  It'll sting in the morning....

The scary thing is you can buy them on the 'net - I found a 9-shot set that burns for over 5 seconds for £88 delivered (delivery was £22 - ouch) with no questions asked.  Nuts.  Who needs a gun licence?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1