The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Still going on here in GH - one of the noisiest for ages. 

It was here too Brian. Around 10:00pm with aerial bursts visible through the tall fir trees it looked a bit like the end of Return of the Jedi. Mostly it was done around 11:00pm.

An artillery battalion formed up in a church car park on the other side of my next door neighbours. They were launching salvos of air bursts at a rate of about one per second, then stop for a few minutes and start over. This continued on and off until at least midnight.

There was a direct line of sight from the bursts (over my neighbours' back wing) to my bedroom windows so it was very loud. Happily I didn't have to smell a lot of cordite smoke.

The church had their car park resealed only a week ago, but whatever the revelers were doing, they seemed to have cleaned up after themselves and I didn't see a lot of scorching or refuse.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, Barry O said:

perhaps the powers that be in the USA make some changes

Not a chance, sadly. Without being too political, with the bill recently signed into law, Congress has done about as much (or little depending on one's perspective) as it is likely to do.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Do you want to send me some straws? 

New paper straws are carp they disintegrate rather rapidly 

Becoming ambidextrous with they whisky may be an idea or is the other hand for the large Churchill cigar

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Just back from the GP - no fractures or dislocations, just a capsule tear in the knuckle joint. That's the good news.

The bad news is that it will take about 6 months to heal and for a lot of that time I must keep it strapped up.

And the terrible news is...

It's my whisky drinking hand!😩😡

I'm sure that a man of your calibre could use the other hand or get Mrs ID to hold your glass for you.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

I notice that the eco nutters have started gluing themselves to masterpiece paintings first the Haywain and now Da Vinci's Last Supper.

Bl00dy idiots these paintings are irreplaceable treasures that deserve to be on public display.

Why don't they go and glue themselves to D wing in Parkhurst

• Agree 13

17 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

But without a nascent US, would Spain or Mexico (if there had been a Mexico in an alternate timeline) have given up that territory?. The current US Southwestern states would have likely remained in their hands or become a nation in their own right.

This is where your inexorable tide comes in*.

* Groan if you like.

With a British northeastern North America, bordered by a Franco/Spanish western North America along the Mississippi, we would have inevitably seen places like New Orleans as a prominent battlefield of the Napoleonic wars.

(Including the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, Gulf Coast ports like New Orleans, Mobile Bay, Tallahassee** were all battlefields.)

** Ooops, I meant Pensacola  - thanks Dave.

The Spanish Empire was bloated and doomed - someone would have claimed Mexico from Spain - the Mexicans, the French* or the British. In a vacuum, Russia would have claimed the Californias. They did establish Fort Ross in 1812.

* Who actually tried very hard to do that during the Second French Empire and it was of course Napoleon's invasion of Spain that triggered the Mexican War of Independence.

A big counterfactual (stipulating a failure of the American Revolution) is what would become of the Proclamation Line of 1763 which (rewarding indigenous support in the Seven Years / French and Indian War, in particular the Iroquois Confederacy) prohibited Anglo-American settlement beyond the Appalachians. Might there have been sovereign native nations recognized by Europeans?

I know what the tide of colonialism suggests and Canadian history is a guide.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Pensacola, not Tallahassee
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

16 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I'm sure that a man of your calibre could use the other hand or get Mrs ID to hold your glass for you.

Jamie

Sadly, two drawbacks with your excellent suggestions: firstly, Mrs ID is currently in the Holiday Hovel and secondly, I always use my left hand to hold my Cuban cigar.

Quite frankly, there is nothing quite as so pleasurable as erudite conversation with a knowledgeable and educated companion, a wee dram of a good 20yo single malt whisky and a Cuban cigar - preferably something on the lighter side like a Romeo Y Julieta.

Living well is truly the best revenge!

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I used to be able to drink a pint of beer in one with out touching the glass. You had to pick the pint pot up with your teeth then tip your head back and drink like mad or you ended up with a wet shirt.

Something else I learnt at Uni 

My party trick at Uni was to sit in a sort of lotus position and drink a pint holding the glass between my feet.  There may be a connection between that and and my lack of academic success.

Talking of beer I found  Golden Sheep ale on sale in a local branch of Intermarché today. It would have ben rude not to buy a couple of bottles.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Sadly, two drawbacks with your excellent suggestions: firstly, Mrs ID is currently in the Holiday Hovel and secondly, I always use my left hand to hold my Cuban cigar.

Quite frankly, there is nothing quite as so pleasurable as erudite conversation with a knowledgeable and educated companion, a wee dram of a good 20yo single malt whisky and a Cuban cigar - preferably something on the lighter side like a Romeo Y Julieta.

Living well is truly the best revenge!

Does that come near to supping some of M Balluet's 20 yr old cognac, whilst chatting and watching trains in good company at Brigg.

Jamie

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I'm sure Captain Cynical employs an equivalent of Q who could surely come up with a whisky glass holding device. Anyway, Norris is through to the semi finals and England beat India so good things do happen (unless your names Boris Johnson). One of our ward councillors (a Tory) died a few weeks ago and the poll for her replacement takes place in two weeks time, be interesting how it turns out. Rather unusually the poll is on a Wednesday (the 20th) rather than a Thursday.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

All is quiet in sunny GH this morning after yesterdays noisy fourth.  The neighbours roof is finished so no more hammering so silence reigns once more.  They copied our upscale roof going from a '90s brownish colour to a colour that looks like slate and as its a bigger roof than ours they must have paid more.  The cost for ours was around K7,  good job it doesn't happen very often but we had a paint job at the same time for about the same price but it all looks good now! 

Now to let the bank balance rest!😐

Brian.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Not much to report, several bad nights on the trot, so I haven't felt up to doing very much. Even before then, I seemed to have a nasty dose of malaise, possibly caused by dealing with some medical admin issues. When I went through the sequence of events and what harm has been caused for my statements, it got me down. Both that such an extensive and consistent sequence of [nasties] could happen and concern for the future.

The odd PM sent. Eyes rolled at some news items. A little dead-heading and seed collecting done. It's been very windy recently, and with a fair few showers, so not much sitting out done. Not many sparrows or blackbird sightings, so maybe they have finished nesting. Perhaps I went to a boring university, no-one tried drinking with their feet or with teeth. A few did try the Yard of Ale challenge, though that usually resulted in wet shirts and tears (at the waste of ale). Fingers crossed for a more upbeat second half of the week. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Does that come near to supping some of M Balluet's 20 yr old cognac, whilst chatting and watching trains in good company at Brigg.

Jamie

Definitely on the same page Jamie, definitely on the same page!

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, BoD said:

Rhetorical question of the day…

Does anyone, anywhere have a picture of GDB smiling.

There’s a scurrilous rumour going about that GDB had his smile surgically removed a number of years ago…

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Funny 13