The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

There was a choice of beers, either Red Barrel or Double Diamond, which apparently worked wonders.

Probably with the waterworks...

Luckily I was a scrumpy Drinker, which could be good or bad you soon realised which scrumpy farm to get a gallon from..

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A'noon,

I remember trying and not liking Red Barrel in the late 60's.  I then moved to a different workplace (in Epsom) near a couple of Young's pubs and after that all was well in my little boozy world!  😀

I have to go to the hospital this afternoon to have my dressing changed,  that was only sprung on me late yesterday afternoon.  Luckily it's at our local hospital and not Epsom although I may have to go back there next week.

Wine unpacked and put in "cellar"  and this one made me smile, didn't realise our sailing friend had a vineyard.

IMG_1480.jpg

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

Watney's was around well into the late 70s with the brand name still hanging on into the 90s. (Brewed in Canada sadly) Bloody awful and only marginally less vomit inducing that Double Diamond. The Watney name lives on, now owned by a brand management company. At one point it was brewed by Sambrooks but not sure if that is still the case. Thankfully the modern beers are nothing like the original. Sort of like today's Mini being nothing like a Leyland Metro or Austin Marina. 

The one (originally) positive thing to come out of the sh*t beers of the 60s and 70s was the formation of CAMRA. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Were Watneys behind the Party 7 ?

Both the Party Four and its larger partner the Party Seven.  Either of which might have contained Red Barrel but were also available with other equally gut-disrupting contents.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Double Diamond, which apparently worked wonders.

As claimed, but no-one ever claimed they were wonders of the good sort 🤣

I seem to remember that substance being responsible for the premature regurgitation of many a meal back in the day.  Seldom mine though it must be said.  

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

could anyone tell me what exactly was so terrible about Watneys Red Barrel?

As I recall (from a single pint many years ago) it was foamy, slimy and tasted simply disgusting.  It gave rise to far more eructations than a single pint should and was voided at the earliest opportunity by the usual means - a process which it seemed to stimulate mercifully quickly 🤣

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

@New Haven Neil family legend has it that one of My Great Grandads on my Dad's side had a leg amputated he kept trying to scratch an itch on it 

One of my great friends lostva leg in a motorbike accident over 60 years ago.  We were often roomates at shows and he still gets phantom pains from the missing leg.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

But can you do "live long and prosper"?

Someone's just moved a long way, I saw this today with a full size trailer just a couple of miles from home  here.Ltwo.jpg.2120c823e9f9447ac1356839ee0ed3c1.jpg

I dread to think how much that cost in diesel, I just filled the tank of the Landrover 3/4 of a tank needed.. £125... Ouch...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. 

7 hours ago, petethemole said:

Gray's beers (of Chelmsford) were in The Cricketers, which had music on Friday nights, often top class acts of the time, incuding John Mayall, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and Arthur Brown.

I remember Gray's beer, not a bad drop of beer. Unfortunately the brewery had to be sold off to cover death duties and the decision was made to keep the pubs and to sell Green King beers, which at the time was a pretty good brew. My favourite Gray's pub was the Bricklayers Arms at Stondon Massey where they served the beer straight from the barrels which were on a rack behind the bar.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, TheQ said:

But can you do "live long and prosper"?

Someone's just moved a long way, I saw this today with a full size trailer just a couple of miles from home  here.Ltwo.jpg.2120c823e9f9447ac1356839ee0ed3c1.jpg

I dread to think how much that cost in diesel, I just filled the tank of the Landrover 3/4 of a tank needed.. £125... Ouch...

We are heading up to the Orkney Islands on a coach tour in just over a months time. I’m guessing that the cost of the holiday was set at the start of the year, if not last year.  I didn’t read the small print* and so don’t know the legality but I have been half expecting a request for a surcharge for a few weeks now.

* I have read the terms and conditions.    A statement that makes a liar out of the most honest of men. Go on, admit it, you’ve all lied. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

19 hours ago, brianusa said:

Two more annoying ads have appeared, one at the bottom left of the screen and the other on the right. 

AndyY seems to be twiddling the knobs again. In addition to the ad with the disturbing "stoned Dachshund(?)" (below) at the bottom of each thread page and inserted after the first listed item in a 'contents' page, there's now a (mostly) blank* panel permanently obscuring the bottom of the browser. It's about 3cm high on my laptop screen and does not scroll away.

* Except for the fine print "ADVERTISEMENT".

I don't object to advertising. I appreciate that there is now a less expensive ad-free option. Wasting screen real estate with blanked space is futile.

image.png.0665ed268905778a7d43507c423cee1b.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

…Nice strong pills now in possession, for occasional use.  Opiate addition doesn't appeal.…

Given that I have had five knee operations (possibly to be six) - including bilateral knee protheses- I have, of course, had my fair share of narcotics. So if I may offer a tip from one who has had almost as much familiarity with narcotics as a South American drugs cartel, the secret to effective pain relief (and general avoidance of addiction) is to take the medication immediately as the pain starts to ramp up. If you wait until you can’t tolerate the pain any longer, the drug is somewhat less effective (ergo a higher dose is needed).

After all my operations I was allowed narcotics as needed (obviously, with safeguards in place to prevent overdose) and I was able to taper off narcotics quite quickly and by the time of discharge, I was back down to basic diclofenac.

There have been numerous studies on the management of post-operative pain and what they found out is letting a patient take a narcotic as soon as they feel they needed it actually resulted in patients using less narcotics than patients on a fixed schedule (some of these studies were slightly different to the medical practice I encountered in as much as patients were allowed to self administer the narcotic by pushing a button on an infusion pump – again with safeguards against overdose).

As for being addicted: I can safely say apart from whisky, meat pies, sausages, pasta and roasted meats, I have no addictions to speak of!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As for being addicted: I can safely say apart from whisky, meat pies, sausages, pasta and roasted meats, I have no addictions to speak of!

Guitars?

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

@iL Dottore yes I agree that is sound advice not to 'chase the pain' - I was given that after the initial injury (Lisfranc fracture - 9 broken bones, all the metatarsals, cuboid and the three cuboids) and boy did I need it.  Tramadol did the trick once whatever I was given post-op but I did take them for about three months in reducing doses, luckily I didn't have any issues stopping them.  I wasn't allowed NSAIDs as they considered they could delay healing of the damaged bones.  After the partial hardware removal I only needed them for three weeks or so.  Until now.....  :-(

As for addiction - locomotives.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

@The White Rabbit no it wasn't me being taken for a walk by the DDSF. If folk are interested in the DDSF I do stop and talk to them. More often than not you would spend more time stopped than walking.

I would have let @Andy Y use pictures of either of our Dachshund Security Force operatives for a small consideration of royalties in the form of doggy treats.(please pm our slave for our address if you want to supply treats in exchange for use of our images love from Rolo and Pebbles the dachshunds) Instead of the stoned looking doggy we can melt hearts.

Edited by simontaylor484
Fat finger syndrome
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Nearly forgot, BIN day tomorrow so I have to get the bin bags ready by 07:30 tomorrow. Trying to clean up some of the fox cubs 'toys' I found half of a coconut shell with a hole drilled in it so thats going into the bee hotel. Now for a cold drink and back to Farcebook.

• Like 12

Well I'm back. Yes I know but don't all run screaming for the hills.

Managed to survive walking DD and to honest it was quite pleasant. The rain kept off, well most of the time and when it did it was more mizzle than rain. Plus it helped that where we were was a wood.

Anyway this afternoon I rather let the side down by falling asleep. My only excuse is that I had rather disturbed night due to DD deciding that she would rather sleep on my head rather than the floor.

So I'm off to bed now in the hope that it isn't repeated, but before I go here's some of the gardens produce.

IMG_20220629_092115.jpg

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1