The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Very impressive both the railway and garden. Definatley a lotto winning dream for me.

Swmbo likes the folly I am sure I have seen an advert for a firm that supplies them

I believe that Mike built the folly from scratch.  To get a lot more on this railway, why not join the facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LittledaleLightRailway

It's a private group, so your membership has to be approved by Mike or Chris but there are quite a few members.

Edited by 45156
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers all. Clouding over after a hot and unpleasant day, so maybe I should do a rain dance to ensure the forecast does indeed materialise!

And in ze meantime, may I demonstrate zat us Germans do haff a highly refined sense ov humour indeed… 😂🤣

955B6125-7AF5-496A-A4DC-639697DDAF28.jpeg.d64042442af749d8bf7353885675b5ed.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I did intend to start on the garden this afternoon but the rain had other ideas so the foxes will remain undisturbed for now. Now time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just finished watching the cricket highlights on BBC4, I deliberately avoided the news  so I didn't even know the result. Well worth the wait.

It’s cricket, Jim, but not as we know it.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

As we get to changing blinds we are changing them all to Thermal blackout blinds. Those that have been changed already make a big difference.

I'd never heard of them until reading these posts. But a quick google suggests not all thermal blinds are blackout, and that paler thermal blinds allow light in while still insulating. Or is there a benefit in typical British temperatures from making the room dark at the cost of having to put the lights on ?  I know that in London Town and often in the home counties the temperature can get hot, but on the Sussex coast that is rare.

Where I live, in a good year I've had at most 3 weeks where some days or nights are warm enough to use a fan - so far, only 2 days this year where I've used a fan at all.

• Like 13

@zarniwhoop the thermal blackout blinds we have used are foil backed. There are a couple of reasonswe have used them.

1 the front bedrooms face East and get bright sun early mornings and it wakes the boys up. Also at night time it keeps the flow of the street lamps out.

Our bedroom is  West facing so we use them to keep the strong sun out to keep the room cooler and not too bright to sleep.

Also in winter time they help to keep the heat in

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Thats quite a find Rick, I have some books of similar vintage but not on railway subjects, one is about Pompeii and another is a motoring guide from c. 1904. I collect old maps, the oldest in my collection is a strip map of the Great North Road from London as far as Stilton dating from the 1790's. My favourites though are the railway rating maps, usually 25" to the mile O.S. maps annotated with the names of companies who lease sidings from  the railway company.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

What a coincidence - after Bemrose the Printers left Irongate Derby, the site became the offices of Lloyds Bank - and that's where I worked when the Bank transferred me there from Leicester in 1980. I worked there and across the network of local branches until redundancy ended my ride on the Black Horse in 1997. 

The Irongate office has closed (along with 6 other branches in the area where I worked)  - it is a listed building and currently unoccupied like most of the City Centre - photo in link below.

Click for Link to Lloyds Irongate Derby

Bemrose remained in Derby and became security printers producing most of the cheque books issued by the major banks.

When I started my first job after leaving school it was with Kearly & Tonge in the City of London. The main room ground floor of the office which was built c. 1880 was surrounded by built in desks. In the cupboards under the desks were old ledgers dating back to when the office was built. They were written in the most immaculate copperplate handwriting.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Sainsbury’s was fairly quiet this morning, so I was back home before 11 o’clock, the shopping was put away and I was sat at the computer with a muggertea by 11:30. I’m now quite happy with the circuit for automating my layouts signals, the easiest thing to do is alter the MERG kit, which involves omitting a few components and changing the value of a resistor. This is necessary as I want to bring down the operating voltage from 12v to 5v, so that I won’t damage the PIC in other modules that I want to connect this to. I’ll also and add a Hall effect switch instead of supplied LDR, as the Hall effect switch will be easier to disguise in the track bed. I’ve tested this using my simulation software and I’m pleased to say it works very well. So the next step is to actually build one and test it in real life. 

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The seemingly endless stream of 'bad' news continues. Amtrak had two fatal level crossing collisions in two days. In the first, yesterday, a car crossing a remote, uncontrolled level crossing (no signals, no barriers) in California was struck. (There were three fatalities and two serious injuries to vehicle occupants.)

Today a train* hit what is being described as a dump truck loaded with boulders in Missouri at another uncontrolled crossing. Two locomotives and at least seven** cars derailed. Video shows passengers standing on top of the sides of derailed cars. There are three fatalities (two on the train and one from the truck) and multiple injuries.

* Which I am guessing is the eastbound Southwest Chief (LA to Chicago).

** Reports vary - one said eight

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

When I opened my squeaky front door to collect the mail this afternoon, the first thing I noticed was the local resident red-tailed hawk on my grassy verge. I closed the door and grabbed my camera, but it decided to focus on foreground shrubs instead of the hawk and after a couple of (futile) shutter clicks it flew across the street to finish whatever it was feeding on.

I don't know what it caught, but have noticed a regular Dark-eyed Junco flitting around in the front yard, though I can't tell if it was just one individual.

By the time I had collected the mail the hawk was circling above the open field at the end of the street.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I had a log book from long ago in my possession. I forget actual dates, but it was pre-Confederation (1867) and looked to be sales of tickets between Chippawa (Niagara Falls) and Fort Erie. I liked to fancy that it was railway tickets. It came with my father's stuff and he wasn't around to ask.  Someone around 1876 had started to use it as a scrapbook and pasted cuttings from the newspaper in it -- may be 20 pages worth. My ancestors had a general store, so they may have sold tickets. I donated the book to the Niagara Falls museum as they might take better care of it than my sister's family.

Dad once said that the men in his family tended to marry women who threw things out.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Dad once said that the men in his family tended to marry women who threw things out.

As long as it wasn’t the men!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7