The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Not to paraphrase the soundtrack to an 80s 'cop' movie, but "the heat is on".

It's already warmer at noon (28°C) than the high temperature yesterday. Out walking in the mid-morning, yesterday was 14°C, and today was already 25°C, which was also the temperature inside the house, so the air conditioning was deployed for the first time this year. Happily it is functioning after perhaps nine months of disuse.

It's actually a lovely day to be outside in the shade. There is a breeze with cloudless blue skies. Tomorrow is forecast to be hotter, flirting with triple digits in the old money (37°C).

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Afternoon all 

Co incidence or a higher power at work here. When Kieran was born my Great Aunt Irene bought him £100 of premium bonds 18 years of nothing what has landed on the doormat today but a £25 prize it has obviously been held up in the post as the draw was a couple of weeks ago.

I think it’s got to be a higher power.  My grandparents bought me a  premium bond when I was born. It was when the bonds were first issued and although the bond amount is very, very small in today’s money it was a good chunk of their week’s wage back then.  I’ll say no more about that other than it was a big sacrifice to them back then.

It was put aside and totally forgotten about until I won fifty pound the month of my fiftieth birthday. Nothing before and nothin since.  

Can’t wait until I’m a hundred.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The event I watched was the hill climb, fascinatingly it had everything from a 1904 FIAT known as the beast and an electric powered sports car that looked and sounded as if it came from a science fiction movie all competing against one another. The electric car was the eventual winner.

Not too surprising. I’ve had a ride in my son’s Tesla. The response to the throttle and the acceleration are pretty unbelievable.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Hopefully the only person she gets familiar with is me.  Talking about that she has been most attentive and helpful with doing up buttons and things for me however this morning she did draw the line at "assisting" me in the shower!  😂

Being in a similar situation, we go all the way!  While I can get to most areas of the bod, including the 'mucky parts', I can't get down to my legs or feet so my wife of nigh on fifty years does the necessary.  After all that time, nothing is new and seen one seen 'em all!😉

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's already warmer at noon (28°C) than the high temperature yesterday. Out walking in the mid-morning, yesterday was 14°C, and today was already 25°C, which was also the temperature inside the house, so the air conditioning was deployed for the first time this year. Happily it is functioning after perhaps nine months of disuse.

It's actually a lovely day to be outside in the shade. There is a breeze with cloudless blue skies. Tomorrow is forecast to be hotter, flirting with triple digits in the old money (37°C).

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Turned on the A/C for the first time this year.  Not bad considering the years half over!🙂

Brian.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I looked out of the window a little while ago and was surprised to see that it had been raining, Just enough to dampen the patio. Toy fair at Rayleigh tomorrow so I wont be doing much in the garden, its predicted to rain anyway tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Being in a similar situation, we go all the way!  While I can get to most areas of the bod, including the 'mucky parts', I can't get down to my legs or feet so my wife of nigh on fifty years does the necessary.  After all that time, nothing is new and seen one seen 'em all!😉

Brian.

I'm finding it difficult to reach my feet now, I've ordered a seat that fits across the bath that should help.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

and an electric powered sports car that looked and sounded as if it came from a science fiction movie all competing against one another. The electric car was the eventual winner.

This was yesterdays run, todays was quicker and it was doing 150 MPH over the finish line .

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, brianusa said:
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Hopefully the only person she gets familiar with is me.  Talking about that she has been most attentive and helpful with doing up buttons and things for me however this morning she did draw the line at "assisting" me in the shower!  😂

I was assisted in hospital showers back in 1975 whilst in for some six weeks.  It turned out to be "just a virus" but it had me fair knocked out for much of that time and there's only so much lying in bed one can do without becoming unpleasantly malodorous.

SWMBO has also assisted on a few occasions mostly during my recovery from cancer when I was very much under-strength.  I in my turn have assisted her when the need arose which most recently was during her spell of "the spins" which was diagnosed as labyrinthitis.  

As for "seen one seen 'em all" I beg to differ.  Whilst the basics are the same we are unique in almost every other respect.  I went through the boys "right of passage" which was the school-age comparison of male parts and no two seemed to be the same.  A little later I learned by way of practical experience that the same was true of the opposite sex.  So whilst I can agree with the sentiment I do very much value our differences and uniqueness.  

In other news it's Saturday night and the first of my summer leave.  I am therefore on the Raasay single malt which somehow helps with the joining of very fine wires and other normally tricksy tasks.  Slàinte Mhath. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I was just about to go outside this morning, when it started to rain. So I spent a short time in the office, working on a timer circuit. By about 11 o’clock it had stopped, so I went outside and spent the rest of the day, bar dinner time in the garden, mainly dead heading and weeding. At about 3:15 this afternoon, it started to rain again, so I packed up for the day and came back inside, got changed and made myself a muggertea. 

Tonight, I made a curry I haven’t made before, an Indonesian rendang and very nice it was too, I’ll definitely be making that one again. After tea, we opened a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon and settled down to watch a film tonight’s choice was ‘Chapaquidic’ about Teddy Kennedy and his car crash. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Barry O said:

No cricket watching today just a bit of umpiring.

Is this a confession that the umpires don't actually watch?

• Funny 17