The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Katia has not yet arrived here, but I imagine those on the West Coast of the land of the midnight Haggis, will be saying to each other when it does, "Tis a wee bitty drafty the dee, fae the time o' year!" The sheep will just move round to the other side of the rock thats keeping the rain off them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I wonder whether we already got our share of what Katia had to offer, as we had a rather big thunderstorm early last night. I'll be off to school again in an hour and I'm sure I feel like hitting the sack early tonight!

Cheers everyone...

Morning All,

We managed to avoid the worst of the storms yesterday. It rained heavily for a while, but no damage or flooding.

Back to work this morning - the weekends seem to pass so quickly!

Have a good day everyone...

Thanks for that reminder Don,

Looks like another dry and hot one here...........but still dark at the moment.

I remember seeing the guy that used to display of old spanners/tools at various Agricultural Shows in the West country.........bit of a nutter?

Very noisy night.

Up at 4.30am, keeping a wary eye on an old Ash tree which, if it fell over, could just about reach the house.

Same with a huge Oak tree.

Still very blustery out there.

Seems to have abated a little but generally the scenery seems intent on thrashing itself to bits.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, All oktas in place and leaking. Very glad I unloaded the layout from the car and stowed it away in the shed yesterday evening! Not sure what the plan of action for today is but it looks like daughters bike has yet another puncture so I suspect some assistance with that will be called for. No idea what our kids do to bikes to get so many tyre problems.

Have a good one all. Apparently it's Monday!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dry but windy here.

Tony

Wait till the curry kicks in.

Morning, bit of a wild night here, 'tis a pity was only the weather. A few days off, after an inspiring couple of days playing with Cramdin Yard I was going to get stuck in on Bodge City, but it appears daughter and grandson will be visiting which means a few hours of cleaning and tidying away guitars and amps and things.

Never mind, have a good one.

Morning all.....A real wet and windy one. Took a trip down to Worthing to see Dave and Phil. A small regional show which was quite quiet on Saturday morning. Cramdin looked great and was running well apart from an errant long wheelbase wagon that was soon confined to the naughty step.

Might get back into battle with the B1.

Edit: Meant to say, attendance might have been low as I saw signs for another show with free entry. Followed them and found myself at Gaugemaster just a few miles away. They had chosen the same two days for their open day. It certainly appeared very busy.

Edited by gordon s

Next time someone tell me I'm an idjit for thinking my brilliant idea was novel! Poor wrench joke!

Yesterday I got in touch for the first time since "Irene" with a fellow musician who lives closer to where it came ashore. He said: "Yeah, major, major leaf fall" with such phlegm that he could have been British.

Just keep en eye open for falling branches heading for your noggin.

No one nuked NYC - which is a good sign..........

Best, Pete.

The Ash tree I was concerned about has shed a branch which is hanging by a Fred.

I think it will hit the ground before it hits the house.

Hope others are well.

These rural lanes are a disaster area in high winds.

The picture postcard leafy tunnels we drive through regularly fall into the road.

A good thing: Our power lines are overhead.

So far they still are.

Guest Max Stafford

It's been a little breezy up here too but to be honest I've had much worse in the past.

It's going to be one of those 'ahead one third' sort of days as I start work at 9PM and I don't wish to be too tired when I go in.Still, I only have three nights since I'd taken half of them off as part of my recently departed leave.

It's bizarre though how even the thought of working nights makes you feel tired even though you haven't even commenced the shifts!

Do you experience that, Phil?

Anyway, after a bright blue interlude, here comes another load of cloud.

Might need to wear my bike helmet during the walk this morning!

A good day to all regardless!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I got in touch for the first time since "Irene" with a fellow musician who lives closer to where it came ashore. He said: "Yeah, major, major leaf fall" ...

Best, Pete.

Our friends in Connecticut have relatives in Vermont. The photographs from VT show quite a lot of damage, mainly from the rainfall associated with Irene.

If the Leylandii that grow next to our garden blow down I'll be very happy but over here in the east the wind seems to have eased.

Tony

It has been terrible if you live next to a river like the Delaware, Passaic or Housatonic (sic) or live up in the Appalachian chain where all the rain funneled through the valleys. Where we live "nestled in the foothills of the Watchung Mountains" - according to a restaurant half a mile from me we have very fast draining soil. The hills give us some protection from a North East wind (the usual storm wind angle) too.

The worst thing to happen in a major storm is to have the power go out very locally (your street or your actual house) due to downed trees because then you become a very low priority. They will do fixes for whole areas first, followed by Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Schools etc., in a declining scale. The lowest of the low is close to a river where the river flooding has inundated your house because of the electricity/ water mix........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold
It's bizarre though how even the thought of working nights makes you feel tired even though you haven't even commenced the shifts!

Do you experience that, Phil?

Absolutely - it's better now inasmuch as when I'm on call you have to be really unfortunate to be out all night - but when I did do a three shift system I was just knackered all of the time even though I might have had a good day's sleep in between (which was the exception rather than the rule).

Far worse than the physical effect though was the physiological effect it had on me, physiology being defined as 'being in accord with or characteristic of the normal functioning of a living organism'. I felt totally out of kilter with life, my family, hobbies, everything. It was perhaps one of the glummest periods of my life, I did that system for eleven years and unfortunately it took its toll on my marriage.

It took me a long time to get over the effects of that shift system, one long term effect is that I am a regular insomniac now which has been with me since then. All in all you have my total sympathy Dave.

Bet that's cheered everybody up.....

Edited by PhilH

A good day to all regardless!

Dave.

Dave, I dunno whether it is my age (I turn 60 in November) but I take the view now that it is indeed good to wake up each day.

My nephew in NYC was 11 when the attacks on the WTC happened - and he lived in NYC - got very disturbed by them. What comforted him was when I took him out to somewhere he enjoyed and told him that "if we did not suffer very bad days we would never realize just how good the good days are".

I don't claim to have thought up that viewpoint but it does indeed work out that way! Take it further and we can all find something positive to add to our experiences on such "bad days".

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

To those on this side of the pond: Blimey, it ain't 'alf blowing a hooley out there. The car was determined to move sideways as I passed gaps in the hedgerows. Lots of fallen bits in the road.

To Pete and others 'over there': A light zephyr over here.