The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

When I used to travel on the Sydney  trains from the 80s to the mid 90s there were still a large number of 1920s "red rattlers" carriages  in service. At least one brake somewhere on the train would be stuck on so my main memory apart from most trips being accompanied by a banshee squealing  the entire trip would be the powerful smell of hot brakes, probably asbestos. It's a wonder half of Sydney is still here.

My first experience of Sydney trains was in the late 90s - 1998 to be precise.  The "rattlers" had gone by then. Everything was double-deck but there were some older cars among the newer fleets.  I learned that these were the "Tullochs" and had been formed into their own units at one time.  By the time I knew them only the trailers survived used in pairs between motors of later classes.  I can't recall exactly which sets they were in now but there were F, L, P and S types going around.  

Heavy and slow would be a polite description of Sydney's suburban trains at the time.  Dreadfully long station dwell times as well caused in part by double-deck operation and in part by their own system of dispatch which required the guard to announce the destination and next stop followed by "Stand Clear - Doors Closing" before that process could commence.  It all took time.  The Tullochs were built like tanks and seemed to be the heaviest of the lot; they certainly rode rough and squealed in  ear-splitting fashion on any and every curve.  Not nice through the City tunnels.  If I remember correctly the last of the Tullochs was withdrawn around 2012 as new stock arrived and older sets were reformed or, in many cases, withdrawn.  

Among older types I also enjoyed - and was very surprised to find still running in the 1990s and 2000s - were the 630-class Hunter Valley DMU sets.  Ancient and with open gas-mantle heaters 😮offering their naked blue flames for warmth on a cold morning, they had thick leather seats with NSWGR (New South Wales Government Railways) embossed into them.  On hot days the windows dropped right down to give a near open-sided carriage.  They purred reliably despite their age up and down the Hunter Valley between Newcastle and Maitland / Telarah, and occasionally much farther to Dungog or Scone.  They too are gone now.  

By complete contrast among the nicest trains I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy were the V-sets operated on Sydney's Inter-City regional services.  They ran (and a few still do, I understand) to Newcastle, Lithgow in the Blue Mountains and down the Illawarra coast to Wollongong and Kiama.  Not just superb and visually appealing pieces of design but stylish, quiet, comfortable and - even as double-deckers - with reasonable views from most windows.  Which is what you want on the scenic runs they were used on.  Tourism being as important on some trips as commuter and local traffic.  The Waratahs which have replaced them are not a patch on the V-sets.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all to Estuary-Land. The foxes are definitely back, I know that because they are as noisy as ever they were. BIN day tomorrow so I have to remember to get the bags ready tonight to go out first thing tomorrow.

• Like 10

I did try to learn to play the spoons but i cant get the grip right. Again It comes down to poor co ordination.

I did also have lessons to play an electric organ but i couldn't read music and process it

Edited by simontaylor484
Hit submit too early
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

My first task this morning was to edit the four different wiring schedule sheets and then join elements of each of the four onto one sheet, the result can be seen below. After that, I then decamped to the workshop and continued with the modifications to the turntable I’d started during the weekend. Basically, when I initially laid down the exit and entry roads 2 years ago, I used the track that I had in stock and what I initially intended to use throughout the whole layout. This was PECO code 100, the same as the track that is supplied with the PECO turntable kit for the bridge and also what I’ve used on my test track. I’ve since decided to use DCC Concepts code 75 bullhead rail on all the scenic sections, the code 100 will be used for the storage area. So, I’ve removed 3 of the 4 roads and replaced them with the new track. The 4th track is only a short dead end section over shoot section, about 8” long, which will probably never be used, so I’ve left left that as it is, as it lines up with the bridge and can be easily disguised. All I have left to do now is ballast the new track and then blend it in with the rest of scenic work which has already done. 

So, now it’s back to the wiring schedules. Here is a photo of the wiring schedule sheets, it contains the data for one module taken from each of the 4 different sheets. I’ll briefly describe the system I’m using and now it works. It’s a simple ‘Point to Point’ bus system, which is relatively easy to use and doesn’t involve computers to programme the modules. Each address has a pair of matched modules, one input and and one output, each with 8 operating channels. The system has one pair operating the point, (8 per module) and a second pair for the feedback (again 8 per module). The whole system is then connected to a 4 wire bus, leaving just short sections of wiring to the input or driven devices. 

As an example, reading the top line of each of the 4 different blocks, 32 input, 32 output, 36 input and finally 36 output, the sequence can be followed fairly easily.

First line, 32 ch 7 input. 

The switch is operated which changes the point. 

Second line. 32 ch 7 output. 

The servo for point No 14 is driven by the servo 4 driver to operate point No 14. 

Third line. 36 ch 7 input. 

The frog polarity of point No 14 is monitored, giving either a high or low digital signal, which is sent to the output module. 

Fourth line. 36 ch 7 output. 

The high or low signal from the frog polarity monitor switches on, one of two LEDs, the illuminated LED corresponding to the actual position of point No 14. 

This whole sequence happens instantaneously and the live monitoring system I’m using on the points, gives me a true indication of how the point is set. 

6262ACEF-D91C-4A92-8458-BF40CCD6DA4D.thumb.jpeg.e8c2b730304af3f2345333a38f094330.jpeg

I must admit that I quite like all the data on one sheet, so I’ll look into seeing if I can rearrange things to enable me to do this. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

My first experience of Sydney trains was in the late 90s - 1998 to be precise.  The "rattlers" had gone by then. Everything was double-deck but there were some older cars among the newer fleets.  I learned that these were the "Tullochs" and had been formed into their own units at one time.  By the time I knew them only the trailers survived used in pairs between motors of later classes.  I can't recall exactly which sets they were in now but there were F, L, P and S types going around.  

Heavy and slow would be a polite description of Sydney's suburban trains at the time.  Dreadfully long station dwell times as well caused in part by double-deck operation and in part by their own system of dispatch which required the guard to announce the destination and next stop followed by "Stand Clear - Doors Closing" before that process could commence.  It all took time.  The Tullochs were built like tanks and seemed to be the heaviest of the lot; they certainly rode rough and squealed in  ear-splitting fashion on any and every curve.  Not nice through the City tunnels.  If I remember correctly the last of the Tullochs was withdrawn around 2012 as new stock arrived and older sets were reformed or, in many cases, withdrawn.  

Among older types I also enjoyed - and was very surprised to find still running in the 1990s and 2000s - were the 630-class Hunter Valley DMU sets.  Ancient and with open gas-mantle heaters 😮offering their naked blue flames for warmth on a cold morning, they had thick leather seats with NSWGR (New South Wales Government Railways) embossed into them.  On hot days the windows dropped right down to give a near open-sided carriage.  They purred reliably despite their age up and down the Hunter Valley between Newcastle and Maitland / Telarah, and occasionally much farther to Dungog or Scone.  They too are gone now.  

By complete contrast among the nicest trains I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy were the V-sets operated on Sydney's Inter-City regional services.  They ran (and a few still do, I understand) to Newcastle, Lithgow in the Blue Mountains and down the Illawarra coast to Wollongong and Kiama.  Not just superb and visually appealing pieces of design but stylish, quiet, comfortable and - even as double-deckers - with reasonable views from most windows.  Which is what you want on the scenic runs they were used on.  Tourism being as important on some trips as commuter and local traffic.  The Waratahs which have replaced them are not a patch on the V-sets.  

Ah the Tullochs..... My favourite were these ones.

image.png.d764bd7c1584ec0bff6b6702e3d0d34e.png

Non air-conditioned, all steel -   check out the tiny little sliding window panels... just look at them!  Obviously designed by some bloke who'd spent the war in the heat of the western desert stuck inside a Matilda tank and wanted us all to know what he'd been through to keep us free. 

For all you up there having  your "It aint half hot mum!" times at the moment, , add 10 degrees to the air temperature, plus a scorching westerly blowing from the deserts of Central Australia. Then imagine standing on a barren suburban western Sydney platform around 3 or 4 pm and  a train load  of these pulls up after its spent the day travelling in the sun or sitting baking in a yard.. It was actually hotter inside them than outside, especially upstairs. Standard practice was to jam open the  inter-carriage doors to get at least a bit of air in, or ride on the platform between the carriages...

Sydney V sets...

The V sets are well overdue for replacement by the D sets. What a stuff up that has been!  The state government went all out on a union busting  exercise which included getting an overseas company to build them instead of the locals that have done it for generations  and attempting to remove the guard from the trains. As a result firstly the Korean designed replacements have turned out to be  too wide for sections of the line they are meant to run on,  meaning several stations and tunnels  in the Blue Mountains must be rebuilt. As for the attempts to remove the guard, this link sums up the mess most concisely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSW_TrainLink_D_set#Debates_and_criticism

My favourite bit is where it outlines some of the union action as part of their protest. You'd appreciate action 1 - 

1/12/2021 - Station staff and shunters wearing shorts indefinitely 

PS - Ausiscion do a nice model of the V series in HO..

https://auscisionmodels.com.au/V Set.htm

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.thumb.png.e72b9add5d6aeab744691ab67ce9119d.png

Oh, I don’t know. Lucy has been pretty good at getting me to do what she wants (she has less success in that regards with Mrs iD). She’s even managed to train Schotty to retrieve her balls when she can’t be bothered to do so.

7344EA58-90F2-4908-88DD-C73C366DABD8.jpeg.38df160bb68abf0979d204dcb0b871af.jpeg
Lucy expressing, as she frequently does, aristocratic disdain for my feeble efforts (at something or other).

I reckon that if Lucy were human she’d be the sort of sultry redhead that would break hearts and break up marriages whilst manipulating everyone around her so that she ends up being pampered, showered with expensive gifts and living a life of sybaritic luxury.

I suppose I should be grateful that the price of having such a “high maintenance female“ in my life is merely the cost of numerous bags of “high value“ dog treats (“high value“ in dog trainer terms means those sort of treats, such as frankfurters and strips of duck breast, the dogs really, really go mad over and thus are used to reward good behaviours and obedience)

And I wouldn’t have it otherwise – I love her to bits!

• Like 19

And in other news; my corporate jet – a Dassault Falcon – has arrived😃

As a 1/48 scale kit it’s going to build into a pretty impressive beastie. So, I want to install a full lighting rig so that the aircraft – when finished – will have the full complement of working landing lights, position lights and strobe lights. Not being an electronics mastermind, like Dave Hunt and others on ER, I searched for a ready-made lighting kit online. It wasn’t difficult to find one. The lighting system from an American manufacturer goes for a fairly reasonable $75. So I enquired as to the shipping and handling costs of sending this small package to Switzerland: $65!!! They’re having a larf, surely? Well, back to Google and hopefully I’ll be able to find a European manufacturer of such things where the shipping costs will be a more sensible.

Could any of our US correspondents on ER clarify why shipping from the US to Europe is so bloody expensive? It doesn’t seem to be that expensive to do it the other way round (Europe —-> US).

Well, I better get “my rear in gear“ as I have to prepare a CARE package for Mrs iD and send it off this morning. And I definitely need another mug of coffee.

Enjoy Thursday!

• Friendly/supportive 14

On the subject of music, I was made to learn the recorder at school, as most of us were.  My attempts at producing a tuneful sound from the instrument were much less than successful so I decided to leave the making of music to the experts.  I will admit to singing once in a while - strictly unacccompanied, or, as some who have heard me would say, unaccomplished.

Flavio mentioned sultry redheads.  Been there, tried to do it, failed miserably.

Chris 

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from another frustrated non guitarist down in the Charente.  I had lessons in the Recorder, the piano, the trumpet and finally the French Horn. I managed a bit on them all and even p,ayed the Horn in the school orchestra.  However though I still possess an ancient example (Hawkes and Son) that is 8n the shed, I have never played any of them properly  since leaving school.  I can read music though and have been able to pick out the melody of a so g on the old Joanna.  

Anyway preparatipns for what seems like a royal visit are in full swing and I have a lo g list to attend to.

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Happy Anniversary Baz.

Somewhat overcast here at the moment and scattered showers with the chance of some thunder followed by sunny spells forecast.

It's a one bin lorry day today along with a Sainsbury's delivery which will have everything we want bar one bottle of wine for The Boss.  Oh dear, never mind,  she doesn't drink much so that will not be a problem.

Feeling a bit rough this morning with various aches in the usual departments so may go for a walk to try and loosen things up.  Nothing else planned apart from keeping away from other people.  

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Her indoors trained at the Birmingham School of Music (now the Conservatoire).  She has taught people to play the Flute, oboe, clarinet, recorder at all levels. She can play most wind based instruments as well as percusion. She can play the piano but like most musical things.. she doesn't. 

Her real interest now is playing things like crumhorn, gemshorns, medieval flutes etc.

I leave playing music to Her..  a sheet of music to me is piece of paper with lines on it across which a spider with inky feet has wandered...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

7.5 hours sleep, two wake up and turn overs a good night.

Ben the sleepy Border Collie  seemed to have a good night too, just a gentle stroll around the garden this morning, in the heavy dew and light mist.

That mist progressed to a full blown Fog by the time I met the NDR.

The Wroxham road works are back, just down hill from the last set, the road has collapsed.

School was disinfectant flavoured recorders and that was it... That and yowling to various songs.. For some reason, " Spanish ladies" was often sung" at school in Wiltshire.. and the "Skye boat song" at school in  Inverness. I can sit and one finger play notes from middle C on a piano from sheet music.. That doesn't make much of a tune at various speed of choices of key to press.

I have an early Revell 1/48 Tornado ADV unfortunately it being the early kit it's more like an ADV 1.5 prototype and not a good model at that, it's definitely not a true  ADV F3. I was going to butcher the kit (which I already have part built) to make an F3, but looking at the latest kit's I'm not sure I think that's worth it I may just buy the new Kit.... In which case I can copy the correct parts from the new kit and have two F3's one in Saudi regalia the other in UK uniform..

The idea of lights are a good idea, Could I illuminate the radar screens inside the cockpit?

Now waiting for the automatic section of this weeks second system to finish... I did leave information on which button to press for it to be finished yesterday.. But they didn't, so now I have 2 hours to surf the net this morning as I can't do anything else on it till that's finished.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a slightly dull start to the day here in the northwest corner of England’s, but the sun is trying to breakout, if it does, it will be another hot one I think. Sheila is getting herself ready for her Zumba class, so I’m currently sat at the dining room table keeping out of the way. My services as a chauffeur are required and I will call at Sainsbury’s to pick up some fruit after dropping her off at the church hall where the class takes place. After that, I shall make myself a muggertea and head off to the workshop, mainly to tidy up to make room for Charlie, as I’ve taken up all the available space whilst I was working on the turntable modifications. 

I given a little more thought to the wiring schedule sheets and a think with a few modifications and a couple of tweaks here and there I can produce a single sheet which has all 4 different sets of data on it. I’ll have a play with that tomorrow afternoon. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 17