The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

That reminds me of walking the trackbed of the former Northampton - Market Harborough line which I did on a couple of occasions when I lived in the former. Near one of the stations, there were some wonderful raspberries growing. There were no nearby houses and I fondly imagined that they had grown in the stationmaster's garden. No idea if that's true of course but I can say they were delicious!

Makes you wonder as raspberries distribute their seeds in the same way as tomatoes. When I lived at Burnham-on-Crouch I sometimes used the Southminster branch were there was an embankment from Fambridge going towards Burnham. The bottom of the embankment was full of apple, pear and even a few plum trees where people had thrown cores and fruit stones from the trains.  

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Afternoon all 

The Glourious weather continues.

Rolo the dachshund is outside sunning himself in the garden. Pebbles the dachshund is laid on her bed after wearing herself out playing.

I have had to do a bit of rose staking myself this morning. There was a shoot coming off the triffid like climbing rose growing where I can't train it along the fence I got the secateurs out to bring it into line but noticed a load of rose buds developing on it. So an off cut of wood was found and it is now staked up.

My current plan is to let it flower this season then cut it right back to the base in the autumn.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Warm and sunny here, with the wind stopping it being too hot, though probably masking the strength of the sun for the unwary. Good views across the valley. 

My garden staking duties have been for ox-eye daisies, many of which are on a serious lean (Nazi party salute sort of angle) if they had their way. They do adapt and head back towards the sun, producing a stem shape which reminds me of what shipwrights call 'compass timber'. (💪 angle). But I try to keep them 'on the straight and narrow'. 

On the subject of fruit, our blackberries are either at the flowering or green fruit stage. As previously grumbled about, the redcurrants are ripening almost as quickly as the blackbird can scoff them. The strawberries are ripening and we've had some already, with some still flowering - they grow anywhere in the garden and if I didn't keep them under control, they'd take over*. This one decided one of our north facing walls was a suitable location...

816223017_strawberryinwall.thumb.jpg.96c0c3a208eb9ea08100a73bcf16f470.jpg

* Serious offer - any ERs near Otley wanting any strawberry plants, PM me, we'll arrange some. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

But not "Smoke On The Water"

Which bit? The riff (which most people play incorrectly) or the Ritchie Blackmore solo? Played properly, it's a damn good song and the solo isn't TOO impossible to master...

Apparently, "Smoke On The Water" and "Stairway to Heaven" have been joined by Wonderwall (Oasis) and Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) as Songs You NEVER Play In A Guitar Shop!

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

HUMP day...

Yesterday another uninspiring day, slow work and nothing else planned for the after work activities. Suits me 🙂

Weather today by all accounts "delightful" (says who!!!) - 18 first thing, partly cloudy and a high of 29, the humidity is way down so pleasant air outside.

Bob, at least, seems to approve as he's relaxing outside watching for birds or chipmunks to stalk!

Carry on.

• Like 18

6 hours ago, chrisf said:

Absolutely not, though I must compliment the honourable member from Basel on his vivid imagination! 

Oh, I don't know.

1208847726_ChrisFHippieVan.jpg.b4a858d43224d083cce81f372c9bbf7e.jpg

It's so, so... You (and it doesn't clash with your Rainbow boots)

p.s. I found your photo online from a set of photos from a model railway show

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

One final note: taking the train from Zürich airport to Olten (for my connection onwards) I boarded a brand-new SBB RABe 502, (the TWINDEXX Swiss Express). And much like a car fresh from the factory which has that unique “new car smell“ so the RABe 502 had a “new train smell” – something I have never ever encountered before (has anyone else?).

Not sure about "new train smell" but can relate to "train type smell"

Going back to many years ago when boarding one of the original Series 0 Shinkansen trains (the original Bullet Train) back in the 1970/80s you were always greeted by a particular smell caused, I understand, by the type of plastic used on the coach interiors.

Jumping forward some 35 years later whilst at the NRM at York I climbed aboard the Shinkansen Series 0 they have there ...... and I was greeted by the same smell!

Keith

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Since the guy cut the weed patch this morning there has been no sign of the foxes. I have left the cubs 'toys' on the patio in case they come back though I doubt if they will. This Friday/Saturday I will be starting on the bug hotel (weather permitting).

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Going back to many years ago when boarding one of the original Series 0 Shinkansen trains (the original Bullet Train) back in the 1970/80s you were always greeted by a particular smell caused, I understand, by the type of plastic used on the coach interiors.

Jumping forward some 35 years later whilst at the NRM at York I climbed aboard the Shinkansen Series 0 they have there ...... and I was greeted by the same smell!

Keith

I do concur that new trains have a smell not unlike that of a new car. So did our NGT10 trams when they were new (and when nobody imagined the kind of headaches they’d eventually give us due to iffy reliability!).

Though I also remember the 185 and 189 I inspected during an open day at Mannheim and the 401 I footplated on had a peculiar smell, even though none of them had been fresh from the factory at the time.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Not here they're not.  Those are mulberries which fruit ahead of blackberries.  The bush is in a pot and being small manages a good crop in alternate years resting in the others.  This year it is presenting a bumper crop.  

Ah, that explains it.

Do you have any pet silkworm?

• Like 8
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

I spoke too soon about the foxes, they came back less than half an hour ago. They seem rather confused by the disappearance of the grass. I've put the now full green wheelie bin out for collection tomorrow, bin day. I haven't cleaned up the rubbish left by the foxes, just collected it in a pile, a combination of hay fever and Arthur Itis/Si Attica put paid to doing any more.  

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

One other thing on playing an instrument.  When I did an art course, pre-return to going out to work, I took home a tutor's catch phrase when starting a new piece of artwork: "Make it really ace!" Such was his encouragement and faith he had in his students, I cannot but try and apply it to most things I do!  Now, I have another catch phrase, from a flute tutor who simply says: "Play it nicely!" Talk about understatement but it seems to work with me!

So, the next time any of you get out your guitar/other music making device, and make music you know what to do!

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

When I used to travel on the Sydney  trains from the 80s to the mid 90s there were still a large number of 1920s "red rattlers" carriages  in service. At least one brake somewhere on the train would be stuck on so my main memory apart from most trips being accompanied by a banshee squealing  the entire trip would be the powerful smell of hot brakes, probably asbestos. It's a wonder half  the population of Sydney is still here.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I wish I could play a musical instrument but i am absolutely hopeless at stuff like that.  

I’d also love to play the guitar but I was once in the school choir and my musical ability was such that I was told to mime. Ah well I’ve still got my air guitar to play.

It also reminds me of the time I was  having some physio and the physiotherapist said she’d not seen anybody with such poor coordination!

• Friendly/supportive 19

11 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I’d also love to play the guitar but I was once in the school choir and my musical ability was such that I was told to mime. Ah well I’ve still got my air guitar to play.

It also reminds me of the time I was  having some physio and the physiotherapist said she’d not seen anybody with such poor coordination!

Sounds just like me, my eldest is the same 

• Friendly/supportive 10