The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright and sunny start to the day here in the northwest corner of England. Sheila is of to visit the dental hygienist shortly, once she has left I shall head outside to get some work done in the garden. We bought some plants over the weekend and they will be planted out this morning, I also want to clear the guttering over the rear outrigger as there seems to be weeds growing in it! No doubt from the fallout of the sycamore tree behind the garden. 

Oh well, time to get started, back later. 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

My Dad died at one o'clock this morning in hospital. I was called at a quarter to one to tell me that he was deteriorating but by the time I got there he had gone.

Dave

Please accept my condolences. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

True, but Switzerland doesn’t have a staffing crisis like the NHS.

The group I am affiliated with is 95% UK doctors and scientists - who proposed a campaign to bring qualified  Ukrainian personnel into the NHS - albeit just for the duration of hostilities.

Furthermore, many of my UK colleagues - just retired - tried to volunteer to help the NHS during the pandemic and not only had to jump through hoops - but weren’t even used after all they went through - even though their local NHS desperately needed support. Another colleague, whose wife is an NHS physician  working in a tertiary speciality told us that when the NHS trust his wife works for shut the tertiary speciality clinic because of the pandemic, his wife was sent to work as a nursing assistant on a ward.

The NHS has many amazing, talented, dedicated and hard-working clinicians, nurses and technicians. It’s amazing what they have achieved despite the NHS bureaucracy.

I have heard it said that the BMA plus the Royal Colleges are the biggest hindrance. It was alleged by a surgeon friend  of mine, that they, along with the compatriots in the Dental and Veterinary  professions, restricted the expansion of medical schools etc to better entrench their own positions. They then relied on Dr's from the Indian Sub Continent to fill the gaps on lower wages.  Brexit and Immigration polucies have compunded the probllems.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold

Ears have been lowered, The Boss makes a good quick job of it.

Hospital visited for PCR test, got there 15 minutes early, done immediately (in car) and back home all within 25 minutes.  Now in isolating mode,  wonder how long it'll be before I get fed up with that although The Boss is isolating with me......

wonder how long before I get fed up with that!  🤪😂

Some pottering done in the garden but it's a bit too warm in the sun for me so now back inside for a muggatea.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

My Dad died at one o'clock this morning in hospital. I was called at a quarter to one to tell me that he was deteriorating but by the time I got there he had gone.

Dave

Condolences to you and your family .

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

....Now in isolating mode,  wonder how long it'll be before I get fed up with that although The Boss is isolating with me......

wonder how long before I get fed up with that!  🤪😂

At my meeting yesterday, one of my colleagues gave a detailed update on the treatment of CoVID-19. It was an incredibly useful update - with some surprising data.

Currently there a number of monoclonal antibodies (MaBs) that prevent viral replication. Given that peak viral replication with Covid occurs 3 - 5 days after infection, studies show that giving an appropriate anti-viral MaB to vulnerable populations within 2 - 3 days of exposure significantly reduces serious symptoms, the need for hospitalisation and the risk of both Long-CoVID and death. This approach is NOT being used in the UK (much to the disgust of my UK clinician colleagues). Furthermore, people in care homes are usually considered to be vulnerable or highly vulnerable - should anyone become infected, the sensible approach would be to treat the infected person with the MaB and prophylactically treat everyone else with the MaB at the same time. Again, not being done in the UK.

The frustration in my UK clinician colleagues over the ineptitude of the MoH was palpable.

Other data of interest were new approaches to promoting an immunological response in the viral host. CoVID Vaccines typically focus on promoting recognition by the body of the spike proteins on the surface of the virus, a new approach is to promote recognition of the nucleocapsid protein which apparently undergoes less mutation than the spike proteins. So - in theory - any vaccine based on that approach would be able to weather mutations in the spike proteins and not loose efficacy.

Finally, there was an amiable "over coffee" discussion on whether we are seeing less CoVID severity because Omicron and its sub-variants is less lethal or because nearly all the really vulnerable have already been dispatched by the previous CoVID strains.

A very interesting, thought provoking and informative session indeed.

Edited by iL Dottore
Scientific update
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

15 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

....Had a sandwich in the park for dinner. The place was full of young ladies from the sixth form college dressed like Daisy Duke 

Moving swiftly on not done much today its too warm certainly for 2 little doggies 

You know you're getting old when you're more interested in seeing photos of the doggies than of the young ladies in immodest clothing....

• Agree 4
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Spent 6 months at RAF Staxton Wold, not many ladies there either.. As I got very little time off, it wouldn't have mattered if there were..

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Anyone know what's happened to @polybear - he's been surprisingly quiet over the past few days....

Putin has gained control of the world supply of LDC and is holding the rest of the world to ransom.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

True, but Switzerland doesn’t have a staffing crisis like the NHS.

The group I am affiliated with is 95% UK doctors and scientists - who proposed a campaign to bring qualified  Ukrainian personnel into the NHS - albeit just for the duration of hostilities.

Furthermore, many of my UK colleagues - just retired - tried to volunteer to help the NHS during the pandemic and not only had to jump through hoops - but weren’t even used after all they went through - even though their local NHS desperately needed support. Another colleague, whose wife is an NHS physician  working in a tertiary speciality told us that when the NHS trust his wife works for shut the tertiary speciality clinic because of the pandemic, his wife was sent to work as a nursing assistant on a ward.

The NHS has many amazing, talented, dedicated and hard-working clinicians, nurses and technicians. It’s amazing what they have achieved despite the NHS bureaucracy.

No Switzerland doesn't have an NHS like we do here.  And a lot of doctors would love to work there but not if you are from outside shengen.

The reasons the retired GPs were not used a lot is that some current GPs were paid for each jab they delivered - whish they could do on their "non surgery" days. At £20 a jab it was very easy money and they seemed to make a lot of money from that.. that was the BMA working "for " the NHS.. and they are partly to blame for some of the mess we have in the NHS.. especially the very well paid consultants who can block change as and when  they like.

If the clinic was shut what else could the physician do? Sit and watch the grass grow? No, she was used to fill a gap...

I only wish my career in Engineering was the same as that of the medical profession... lower salaries, longer hours, work life balance ..wot is that? And the engineers I know have worked just  as hard if not harder during this pandemic without being able to have 3 days a week "contact" time on normal salaries.

Its not all to do with NHS bureaucracy.. boy oh boy you do lead a very sheltered life in Bastion Switzerland!

Baz

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

8 minutes ago, Barry O said:

....If the clinic was shut what else could the physician do? Sit and watch the grass grow? No, she was used to fill a gap...

Right. So it's totally appropriate that a physician who could work in A&E as a physician, in anesthesiology as a physician or in any of a number of other areas as a physician is put to work as a nursing assistant?

You clearly haven't worked in a the medical environment: whilst some consultants may have a "cushy life", the reality is doctors in the NHS are working incredibly long hours, making life and death decisions and are being taken for granted to boot. Even the consultants (who admittedly aren't blameless) have done their time in the front line - one consultant I know was recently complaining that "junior doctors" have it easier than he did when he was a junior - when 96 - 100 hour weeks were the norm.

I am hardly leading a sheltered life - having worked in the NHS, I've been on the inside and the reality is far different to what the media would have you believe.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

This approach is NOT being used in the UK (much to the disgust of my UK clinician colleagues). 

At the first sign of infection the clinically vulnerable are offered a range of antivirals developed for Covid. If I as a vulnerable person send off three negative Covid tests but feel unwell enough to have taken them, I will be issued with antivirals just in case (including nMABs with very long names). I am in England which is for the moment still in the UK. There is also an ongoing vaccination programme for those it is deemed appropriate, I had my fifth vaccine recently, contacted by NHS, arranged on NHS website, administered for NHS by local pharmacy. All seemed very efficient. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7