The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Woke this morning with cramp in my right leg.. ouch!

My game today is not far away from home. Hopefully it will be played in a more agreeable way than the one last Saturday.

Why do we get grief? Well the TV commentators don't help. Simon Douell yesterday was annoyed with an umpires decision and was very vocal about it.. and was also very wrong about it... he needs to either learn the laws or shut up..  it is becoming a major problem.. basically even ex Test Match and County players don't know the Laws...

I shall, hopefully, be able to partake of a pint tonight after getting home from the game. However, post jubilee celebrations around here has seen an 8ncrease in covid particularly inthe soon to journey home student population.

Time to make the tea and get the day rolling.

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Just a quick hello before I'm off out. 

13 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The balloon like old battery is now in the box, I'll take it to work where we have a rows of battery disposal boxes for different types, just tape up the terminals and drop it in.

My friend has the battery (none replaceable) from his smoke detector to dispose of. All I know about it is that it is an orange colour. I didn't know that there is different disposal boxes for batteries. I'll have a proper look at it today.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, andyram said:

Interestingly, the headteacher claimed it was a governing body decision. One of the governors is our neighbour so that could make things awkward.

Bear can suggest some pretty good sabotage techniques; swapping the lemony gunge inside a LDC for english mustard** is particularly dastardly.

**mixed from powder, not the lame stuff that comes in a jar

50 minutes ago, Barry O said:

However, post jubilee celebrations around here has seen an increase in covid particularly in the soon to journey home student population.

The TV news reported that covid is up 43% following jubilee week.  No surprises there then.

Bear here.....

Well it seems the temp at Bear Towers for today will be a much more sensible 22 C, so a certain Bear will spend the morning danglin' on a paint brush.

Last night saw Bear walk into the kitchen, only to be confronted by a MAHOOSIVE Monster sitting in the middle of the floor.  Big? BIG?  Well it was wearing four pairs of Nike Trainers.....

When it spotted a Bear approaching it decided to make a break for it - but fortunately (and uncharacteristically) a certain Bear was able to "halt it in it's tracks", so to speak 😉.  Bluddy good job too - it was "one of those" that Bear didn't want to escape and be on the loose, ready to pounce unexpectedly.  Bravery score must equal an extra wedge methinks.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Already 21°C and possibly rising to 28/29°C so not as hot as yesterday but too much for me.  There is the chance of some rain tonight.

Another poor night's sleep due to the heat but at least there were no foxy interruptions.  Today nottalot will be done although some hints have been dropped about Shark wielding as "it needs doing, this  house is in a mess."  Those who bother to read my drivel may note that this is quite a common cry in this household and in fact is not true.  The House would not dare to get in a mess in front of The Boss! 😂

This afternoon I will be watching rugby as it's the Premiership Final and I will be joining TB and DaveH in shouting loudly for Leicester Tigers.

Tea was taken to the Boss earlier and it sounds like she's on the rampage so I suspect breakfast is imminent.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Last night saw Bear walk into the kitchen, only to be confronted by a MAHOOSIVE Monster sitting in the middle of the floor.  Big? BIG?  Well it was wearing four pairs of Nike Trainers.....

When it spotted a Bear approaching it decided to make a break for it - but fortunately (and uncharacteristically) a certain Bear was able to "halt it in it's tracks", so to speak 😉.  Bluddy good job too - it was "one of those" that Bear didn't want to escape and be on the loose, ready to pounce unexpectedly.  Bravery score must equal an extra wedge methinks.

If that means what I think it means my arachnid friends are gonna be gunnin' for you Mr. Bear.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/191051209165857934/

Edited by grandadbob
  • Funny 11

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Jeez that sounds just like an Aussie Whistling/Bird Eating  Spider! Well done mate.

https://www.oversixty.com.au/lifestyle/home-garden/horrified-sydney-tradesman-finds-giant-spider-crawling-up-his-arm

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

A seasonal greetings card was delivered to me yesterday.  Sadly it turned out to be one that I had sent to an old uni friend in Australia in good time for last Christmas.  Where it has been since I posted it is anyone’s guess, but it is clear that the intended recipient no longer lives at the property.  At least whoever wrote “return to sender” spared my feelings by not adding “deceased” but I rather suspect that my old friend is no longer with us.  I could wring my hands and wish that I had looked him up when I was in Oz but it would do no good.  How long ago were we last in touch?  Frighteningly long, I fear.  Sadly these things happen.  At least I know.

On a happier note, I will be off to London this morning to meet some chums.  No doubt we shall put the world to rights over a pint or several.   A toast to “absent friends” might not go amiss.

Chris

Chris, you can try Googling his name and city etc.

Its surprisingly easy to find information ( and a little scary too, especially if you Google yourself).

You might well find he is alive and well, or sadly find an obituary as I have done when trying to find old comrades.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Yep,  lead Acid, cadmium, lithium, etc all have different disposal boxes. And in some cases in our factory different sizes of battery have their own boxes.

I couldn't do a search of many of the people I used to know, my poor memory just doesn't remember their names..  when I joined a group on Facebook for my trade group lots of people turned up saying I remember you, but I didn't remember them unless their post included their photo.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear can suggest some pretty good sabotage techniques; swapping the lemony gunge inside a LDC for english mustard** is particularly dastardly.

**mixed from powder, not the lame stuff that comes in a jar

The TV news reported that covid is up 43% following jubilee week.  No surprises there then.

Bear here.....

Well it seems the temp at Bear Towers for today will be a much more sensible 22 C, so a certain Bear will spend the morning danglin' on a paint brush.

Intrigued. How does a Bear catch a Nike equipped 'huemongus' Mus musculus. Diagrams would be beneficial but not strictly required. Please give a concise açcount going into detail were required.

This question counts for 25 % of your pass mark.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BlackRat said:

Chris, you can try Googling his name and city etc.

Its surprisingly easy to find information ( and a little scary too, especially if you Google yourself).

You might well find he is alive and well, or sadly find an obituary as I have done when trying to find old comrades.

Or Wills and Probate notices in the London Gazette, as I did.

I had been checking up on a friend's website but found it no longer existed. The Gazette item cropped up in the search. Sad but at least I know and can remember her and the times we had together.

Edited by southern42
  • Friendly/supportive 19

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Baghill was once served by long-distance cross-country trains. I was a younger lad and learning my way around the system when I first encountered a train carrying roof-boards proclaiming "Poole - Bournemouth - Birmingham - York" and which called at Rotherham Masboro, Bolton-on-Dearne, Moorthorpe, Pontefract Baghill and Leeds along the way.  They sounded terribly important; they must have been to justify calls by a train equipped with roof-boards.  It was some years later that I learned they were not so grand after all.  At the time there was still at least a regular service but currently it is extremely sparse.  And has been a purely local working for many years.  

Pontefract might have the least-used station in West Yorkshire but it does at least have two others - Monkhill and Tanshelf - the latter of which has direct trains to London.  

Monkhill station is very close to our house

• Like 9

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Just a quick hello before I'm off out. 

My friend has the battery (none replaceable) from his smoke detector to dispose of. All I know about it is that it is an orange colour. I didn't know that there is different disposal boxes for batteries. I'll have a proper look at it today.

The usual different types are Ni Cad or L ion at our local tip any way 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, I made a statement that it was far too hot to be wielding Sharks and similar and it was accepted without any argument whatsoever.  One minor request was made to remove the big umbrella from the hole in the ground and erect the rotary clothes dryer.  Unlike Dave ours is in the lawn and not buried in gravel so that only took a few seconds. 

Umbrella has now been put in its proper base so I have been released from domestic servitude.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another bright and sunny start in England’s northwest corner. There are a few things planned for today, first I shall go and collect Ava, who is once again spending the day with us and also stopping for tea. Before dinner the plan is to head to the small craft / gift shop in Dunham Massey, both Sheila and Ava love the place and no doubt we will come back home with a few more purchases, although to be fair, when they have plants for sale, they are usually very good specimens and very reasonable prices. 

There are no firm plans for after dinner, Ava usually chooses to watch a DVD, so I’ll probably read or do some research. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Sunneeeee but for how long, I wonder?

Hopefully, long enough to enjoy a mugadecaf outside, today.

Toot on the flute and some muddling planned, and also the G word.  That fern definitely needs to be moved!

Hope all goes well with you all today and may your teams win.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers all. It's just to frellin' hot!

Need to complete a bit of coursework. but other than that, not a lot to mention. I'm really slowing down when it's warm.

Be safe, everyone. I'll try to catch you tonight if I haven't melted until then...

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Hot and rather overcast here. We have just had some rain too, but not for long. 
It is our wedding anniversary today, no one from Aditi’s family remembers, probably because they didn’t come to the wedding. Aditi seemed pleased with a cup of tea instead of a sapphire (apparently the correct gift ) this morning. 
I have ordered a pack of road pins for her floppy roses though. They won’t be here until Monday though. I did think they were arriving today but that parcel will contain drawer sliders for the garage. They aren’t for a drawer, they are for a traverser type fiddle yard. 
Tony

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Jeez that sounds just like an Aussie Whistling/Bird Eating  Spider! Well done mate.

https://www.oversixty.com.au/lifestyle/home-garden/horrified-sydney-tradesman-finds-giant-spider-crawling-up-his-arm

I swear to you, Monkey - the 'kin spider was THIS BIG......

image.png.56f71759adea4823b2e2b09373df3dde.png

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Intrigued. How does a Bear catch a Nike equipped 'huemongus' Mus musculus. Diagrams would be beneficial but not strictly required. Please give a concise açcount going into detail were required.

This question counts for 25 % of your pass mark.

Here comes the Big Galompy Monster.....Galomp, Galomp, Galomp, STOMP......

In other news......

Skirting painted - went quicker than expected 🙂 and the Owatrol was certainly doing it's stuff.  Another coat tomorrow then that should allow those bits to be fixed to the wall. which will mean that 2/3rds of the room (the worst bits, with the most corners) will be skirted; the remaining part of the room only has two corners to do, plus an in-line joint.

Plan for post-din dins may well see a certain Bear creating a shopping list for the air vent and plumbing bits that I was gonna do yesterday.  Or maybe not.

• Like 6
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Happy "Road Pin" Anniversary to Tony and Aditi.  How many years is that?  😂

Last year was “gourmet” or “food” according to some website. We had toast for breakfast. Didn’t even get that this year as we couldn’t be bothered to make bread last night, so cereals were consumed. . Road pin is the alternative (starting a trend inspired by ERs) to sapphire for 45 years. When we had been married  for about a year we bought a dining table and chairs. One family member said the chairs (Bauhaus style tubular steel with rattan seat base and back) were flimsy looking and would not last a year but that would probably be longer than the marriage. We still have the same dining table and chairs though I never told the person who had said what she said that I had replaced a couple of the chairs about 20 years ago with identical ones. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16
  • Funny 2