The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Warning: The following post may contain a rant.

We had about 3-4 inches of snow last night which fell on snow that had already compacted and turned to ice. It was treacherous when I picked Mrs S up from work. I had great difficulty parking when I got back as the car was slipping all over the place. I have just 'dug' the car out and it is -3 out there. It hasnt given all day. The side roads are atrocious, like sheets of ice, and the main roads are not much better and are clogged. The major road near us, the A19 was gridlocked last night with people calling at the local inn to look for rooms (no joke intended). Some of the regulars ended up putting people up for the night.

<rant> In all of this we have not seen hide nor hair of a gritter. We have a steep bank near us, the police are letting cars up and down one at a time - more gridlock. Why am I paying my rates? Can't the police pull rank and tell the local council to get off their fat arses and do something, weekend or not? It's not like it wasn't forecast. </rant over>

It hasn't got any warmer, the roads are just as bad, but I feel a little better for that.

We had about 3-4 inches of snow last night which fell on snow that had already compacted and turned to ice. It was treacherous when I picked Mrs S up from work. I had great difficulty parking when I got back as the car was slipping all over the place. I have just 'dug' the car out and it is -3 out there. It hasnt given all day. The side roads are atrocious, like sheets of ice, and the main roads are not much better and are clogged. The major road near us, the A19 was gridlocked last night with people calling at the local inn to look for rooms (no joke intended). Some of the regulars ended up putting people up for the night.

<rant> In all of this we have not seen hide nor hair of a gritter. We have a steep bank near us, the police are letting cars up and down one at a time - more gridlock. Why am I paying my rates? Can't the police pull rank and tell the local council to get off their fat arses and do something, weekend or not? It's not like it wasn't forecast. </rant over>

It hasn't got any warmer, the roads are just as bad, but I feel a little better for that.

My cousin was stuck overnight in Hartlepool as she couldn't get back to Peterlee. That's punishment, if ever I heard of it!

Can I join you, please?

[rant]

Down here, the main routes have been gritted but the side roads and pavements are now compacted ice. Even applying salt on a bad area last evening did nothing. The town is a skating rink for pedestrians. ABS does not work for the cars either! You can hear it pumping and you can see the wheel skidding! I'm hoping the local council get sued for injuries, frankly. I know it'll cost me but it might knock some sense into them (but I'm not too optimistic!)

Good thing I'm off to Switzerland soon, where they know how to handle snow.

However, the tour company's been on the phone this afternoon because Eurostar can not handle the conditions so we now have to fly (British Airways - will it get any worse?) instead. My whole luggage scheme is designed for train travel not flight. :angry:

[/rant]

• RMweb Premium

Well, that's me back from the Saarland :D . Hope you all did well. Winter has struck pretty hard over here, too - lowest temp my thermometer recorded was about -15?°, and over in the Saarland it wasn't any warmer. In Leipzig it was about -17 - however, they're now predicting freezing rain by Tuesday. That will sure be fun.

My girlfriend's grandma's house actually does not have heating in all rooms - much like it often was back in the 50s. To me, of course, that was a total novelty, and seeing ice on the windows in the morning was something to behold :blink: .

Will report back again later ;) .

• RMweb Gold

I seem to be in a really foul mood today:

1) There's no snow here :(

2) I've just realised i've painted all the point blades meaning they won't work...

3) I have just overheard a member of my family say 'What is that? (when looking at the castle on the layout) Is it a cake?'

Usually I would see the funny side but she's already said it before and i've just had bad things happen one after another so that was just the spark for me i'm afraid.

Sorry for a depressing read but I felt it needed to come out - think i'll skip dinner and have a bath... :mellow:

I seem to be in a really foul mood today:

1) There's no snow here :(

I could post you some of mine if you want!

2) I've just realised i've painted all the point blades meaning they won't work...

get a fibreglass brush and clean the paint off - no major catastrophe!

3) I have just overheard a member of my family say 'What is that? (when looking at the castle on the layout) Is it a cake?'

Usually I would see the funny side but she's already said it before and i've just had bad things happen one after another so that was just the spark for me i'm afraid.

Sorry for a depressing read but I felt it needed to come out - think i'll skip dinner and have a bath... :mellow:

Keep your head above the water then!! But a good, hearty meal might cheer you up!

Recall the Life of Brian. Life's too short to be taken seriously. Always look on the bright side (of life)

• RMweb Gold

I could post you some of mine if you want!

:lol: How heavy has the snowfall been up your way? We had a couple flakes on Friday but nothing apart from that.

get a fibreglass brush and clean the paint off - no major catastrophe!

Y'know i'm not actually sure I have one, sounds like a useful thing to invest in! Thanks for the advice.

Keep your head above the water then!! But a good, hearty meal might cheer you up!

Recall the Life of Brian. Life's too short to be taken seriously. Always look on the bright side (of life)

Perhaps you're right, i'm awful for panicking and despairing - Think I just need to calm down and watch some comedy...

Looks like the castle will need more work doing on it ;)

Thanks John.

:lol: How heavy has the snowfall been up your way? We had a couple flakes on Friday but nothing apart from that.

I had to scrape 3" off the van before going out on Friday and then had to deal with compacted snow (into ice) on my return. On Saturday, the ice was such that my ABS had no effect. Outside now is a skating rink of black and white ice. The joys of living in a cul-de-sac that never gets gritted!

• RMweb Gold

It must make your job in particular quite frustrating at times I imagine, not to mention precarious.... :blink:

At least i've achieved something today - fish tank now cleaned out and they are looking decidedly much happier now.

Oh, and i've been so bored i've even tidied my room, well, sort of! I've just moved a pile of books from the desk into a box...

It must make your job in particular quite frustrating at times I imagine, not to mention precarious.... :blink:

yes, both of them, since the second's some 30 miles away at Ford! I had to go via Portsmouth to be sure of using main roads!

At least i've achieved something today - fish tank now cleaned out and they are looking decidedly much happier now.

still have the same quantity?

Oh, and i've been so bored i've even tidied my room,

Desperate measures!

Check posts 2023 and 2024 on this thread, page 81! (and 2042 on 82)

• RMweb Premium

I just noticed my weekend trip gave me yet another new idea for a model railway layout... :unsure: There's still quite a lot of heavy industry roughly between Saarbr??cken and Dillingen, which means lots of coal and steel haulage, as well as car transports from the Ford plant at Saarlouis. In addition, the close proximity to France and Luxembourg gives even more variety.

One particularly impressive piece of industrial heritage is the site of the V?¶lklingen Ironworks which we passed on our way. It has to be seen to be believed in its imposing size and dazzling complexity :blink: .

• RMweb Gold

Dominik, i've just remembered that I had not replied to your PM from 8 days ago! :blink: Truely sorry about that...

And since you mention in your PM whether I have had any layout plans beyond Calshot, today I had been thinking about building another layout. That's as far as it got though! (I think that would be as far as it would be allowed to get, too! :lol: )

John,

Still four fish in the tank ;) They seem to like swimming in front of the pump and being pushed along by it's current which is most funny to watch!

Checked mentioned posts and I can now see the troubles you are facing!

... or was it a Jam Sandwich?

Don: How did the cricket go?

Well, he bowled and then he hit it, then they ran coz he didn't hit it far enough ...................................................

Cricket!

After lunch yesterday (Roast chicken, roast potatoes, butternut, broccolli & cauliflower in a cream sauce, trifle) I found the cricket b o r i n g! so had a nap!

Woke up at 4:00 and England were 6 wickets down! Sat glued to the TV until the end of play. With 3 overs left and England 9 wickets down it was nail biting. It ended in a draw so you win the bet BoD. Can I pay in Zimbabwean dollars?

Cheer up Jam. Just ice the cake and decorate it. Green holly leaves and red berries!

Only seen snow twice in my lifetime. Once was on the farm one August and woke to a white landscape as far as the eye could see. Went for a 6 km walk in it. (about 1 inch thick at it's thickest)

Sorry about you holiday travel disruption John. I hope it works out OK.

I've got to make a chocolate mousse and a Pineapple pudding for Christmas dinner.

Morning All,

What a weekend! Didn't get much chance to post in the past couple of days - I haven't stopped!

I left work on Friday afternoon with heavy show falling - by the time I got home the roads were covered and I had to drive into town for an appointment. There was traffic chaos. (just to prove that it doesn't just happen in the UK!) I think the gritters were caught on the hop and it took them a couple of hours to get out and start gritting the autobahns and bus routes. A tipper truck skidded and overturned right in the middle of the town. Still, I got there and back in one piece and most of the people who were having trouble were those who think it is a good idea to drive around on Summer tyres.

Saturday morning brought temperatures of -18?°C :icon_eek: I had to drive out to the middle of nowhere to pick up my new car - which didn't have Winter tyres on. Thankfully, you just point these little guys in the right direction and they just do exactly what they are told. Fantastic fun to drive!

Mini.jpeg

I've always wanted one - so I figured better to get one now, because otherwise I probably never will.

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave: