The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

32 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I just wish we could have a break from the wall to wall grey skies. 

That sunshine I mentioned a little while ago, it's gone now.

England should expect to see *some* sunny skies - once the lawn tennis season is over. (I've not seen a lot of sunny games broadcast, though there were a few.)

For extra insurance, send the cricketers abroad, and whatever you do, don't wash the car.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

A bit of advice please folks.

Some weeks ago i dropped some forms off at the GP's for signing to release a pension for ill health early retirement. (Sadly the pension provider won't accept the certificate provided by OHU originally)

We have asked what is happening with the forms several times and keep getting fobbed off, my Mrs thinks th checkpoint Charlenes are getting fed up of us enquiring. I'm getting sick of it its making me really anxious 

Has anyone in ER land got any suggestions 

Is it any GP or a specific one? Or someone else? If it's a particular person, maybe there's a problem with availability cos they are off doing something else. (Even if it is this, it's not good enough as you're supposed to put cover in place for such things). I think I'd be asking exactly why there's a delay and if no-one can explain, make a complaint.

If necessary/possible, maybe get your MP involved? Or are you in the constituency that's getting a by-election? The media might be more interested than usual, though that can come with a cost. A threat to go public might help though. 

31 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

We're supposed to have one later this week, together with higher temperatures. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Today has been mostly sunny.  Much of the next week is forecast similarly with the promise threat of 30C later.  I'll be ready with the short-sleeved shirt and the usual wishful-thinking about uniform shorts.  

6 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

It does seem to depend where you are.  I get that there are far fewer tests being recorded which can skew statistics but there are many areas still white on the map (fewer than three cases reported in the past 7 days) and many more still with numbers falling.  Most of those where there is a rise are recording only tiny upticks; the big exception (without much surprise) is around Heathrow which has often shown far higher rates of infection than anywhere else nearby.  Still wary - still not worried.  

In other news we have arrived at the Horse Chasing season.  Royal Ascot gets under way tomorrow.  Yours Truly may be required on vox humana amplificata at the House of Fun.  It's been a few years since I worked a crowd but I reckon I've still got it in me.  It appears we have also conjured up some extra trains from somewhere for the week.  Not a bad effort when we claim to be so short of them that we have to choose between short ones running per the published timetable or full-length ones less often.  Let's see what tomorrow brings.  Ladies' Day on Thursday is always the Big One with, in previous years, champagne breakfasts taking place on the platforms from as early as 6am.  I'm sure they regret those a little later when they can't get to the toilets through a packed train!  

Another day of feeling a bit below Par, possibly even as low as Polmear (Cornish joke), but with a marked improvement after a respectable fried sea-bass*, chat potatoes and crispy veggies with a glass of Chardonnay tonight.  

* Yes I know there's no such thing; all bass come from the sea but that's what it said on the label.  

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just a few minutes ago I heard a scratching outside. It was the fox cub again scratching on the patio door glass. He's not so little now, almost fully grown and looking very sleek and healthy. Only thing is that the window cleaner came round this morning and washed off all the muddy paw marks.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

20 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Another day of feeling a bit below Par, possibly even as low as Polmear (Cornish joke)

Separately from Cornish place names, I find the notion of subpar open to misinterpretation.

As a 'normal' word, being "below equanimity" / "below average" makes sense as not a good thing. Ironically in the modern (post 19th century) golf context "subpar" is a good thing - but even a golf commentator describing a player's subpar performance is open to confusion.

Glad the fishy dinner helped.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Skinless mice.are tinned plum tomatoes (they do have the right shape).

A cake in a cake is a breadcake filled with a fishcake (two potato scallops with fish in between, battered, then deep fried). And is claimed to be food of the gods.

@BoD warren I reckon you are correct on all counts. The s0d you I am ok attitude is strong at the moment  (it is causing havoc with discipline in cricket at the moment). But let's all keep going tryIng to help others especially ERs(of which we ha e a fair few missing currently).

Bas

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Bear is currently watching "Scouting for Toys" on "Yesterday" (Ch. 19) - the prices being paid for Matchbox Cars at a Vectis Auction are just nuts.  £10K for a breakdown truck, anyone?  Now if I were a collector I most definitely wouldn't want to be seen on telly as it's asking for a break-in.  The owner of the collection made £400K.  Bluddy Hell.

There was also some guys showing their G-Scale Garden Railway - and talking prices.  Another target.

• Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

.  It seems I have 21 days to listen to it - I've no idea what happens to the file after that

There is an option to renew if no one else has reserved it on our County system. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Barry O said:

...snip... A cake in a cake is a breadcake filled with a fishcake (two potato scallops with fish in between, battered, then deep fried). And is claimed to be food of the gods. ...snip...

Bas

Mmmm, sounds good.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

It's Wakefield that has the by election, We have Mrs Balls as MP.

Now I hope there is something called Karma coming to these low life's 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-61789947

What vile life forms.  How could anyone do such a thing?   Unfortunately I suspect that there are very many similarly vile life forms.

And going back to your earlier GP question Simon.   I spotted this when looking at your link.   I can't say I'm surprised .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-61759641

Night Awl.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

A bit of advice please folks.

Some weeks ago i dropped some forms off at the GP's for signing to release a pension for ill health early retirement. (Sadly the pension provider won't accept the certificate provided by OHU originally)

We have asked what is happening with the forms several times and keep getting fobbed off, my Mrs thinks th checkpoint Charlenes are getting fed up of us enquiring. I'm getting sick of it its making me really anxious 

Has anyone in ER land got any suggestions 

Initially ask the practice manager by email, telephone or letter where is your document and what is the problem. Only ask the receptionist for the name and contact details of the manager. If that fails look to see if the practice had a complaints procedure. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, andyram said:

Evening all and I will add my congratulations to @grandad bob and many happy returns to Gemma.

Today has been spent stuck in front of the computer at home clearing more marking and dealing with countless messages including learner enquires and a case of persistent plagiarism. The learner may have trotted our plenty of excuses but has used up almost all of her warnings across multiple assignments. She is very much in the last chance saloon.

This afternoon saw a call from Sky with the promise to send out a replacement cheque by Wednesday. I will not hold my breath. I followed this up with a call to CISAS who act as the regulator for broadband providers. A claims form has now been sent to open a case against Sky. I have nothing to lose so I will fill it out and send it off when I find some time later in the week.

Meanwhile, at Pride Park, the American chancer has proven to be a total timewaster and has walked away. The un

certainty and worry grows again.

Night.

Andy

Just a quick piece of advice and you may already do it so please ignore if you do but keep a copy or a record for telephone calls of any paperwork as documents have been known to 'get lost'.

• Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Night Owl from a slightly warm (557º R) Piedmont.

EDIT: It reached 100º yesterday, so actually 569ºR ! Not so bad, that is only 3º warmer!!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 1