The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

You can park your car in a Chinook and take it with you though..............................................

I’ll stick with the Augusta, thanks.

for the price of a Chinook (https://aerocorner.com/aircraft/boeing-ch-47f-chinook/) not only could I buy an Augusta helicopter and have enough spare change left over to buy a car at any destination I care to arrive at

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

For a complete train, your journey would need to be scheduled as a special working in the timetable, crew allocated and so on so would have to be booked probably weeks or even months ahead though I'd be interested to know with just how little notice a train charter could be organised.   

Well my mate says give him 15 minutes and  he’s ready to go, but better bring some cakes for the train crew.

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Well my mate says give him 15 minutes and  he’s ready to go, but better bring some cakes for the train crew.

Clearly, the simplest way to operate  a private train is to also own the railway it runs on!  I guess that's what made royal and tyrant's trains more common. 

In complete contrast to any tyrant, I do know that Adrian Shooter had an American style private car on his two foot gauge Beeches light railway. I believe he had a battery or IC loco that hauled it umnanned around the railway  very slowly for dinner parties. I assume it's now doing the same on his new Beeches railway in Oxfordshire (which looks to be very similar to the previous version) .

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

The Duke of Sutherland had his own locomotive and carriages, not surprising since he paid for a large part of the line north of Inverness. Sadly when the railways were nationalised in 1948 BR wouldn't let him run his train any more..

I have seriously considered having my own line round our acreage all 1.5 acres, however I have a summer out door hobby of sailing, so I decided that at most it will be an 18.2mm venture from the muddling shed, not a 190.5mm version.

Afternoon Awl,

About 50% of the new bathroom shelving unit assembled from a previously cut kit of parts.

This required a march of 120yards each way from construction site to house many times.. I could have done with the railway.. this unit will be behind the door to the bathroom when the door is open. About 15 inches wide and the height of the door plus architrave.

Ben the it's time for my walk Collie became Ben the very pleased with himself collie as he put up a pheasant , a muntjac, and I believe a common buzzard. All were hiding in the long grass. 

Our own grass is much shorter now, but the jungle has only had a couple of paths cut through, at that point this weekends lack of sleep caught up. I've just had some cheese and crackers along with a can of Thatchers.. I believe an eyelid inspection will follow..

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, polybear said:

the lap speeds had broken the (I think) 120mph barrier and he now considered the place was just too fast to be safe.  At a guess I reckon they'll drop the limit on engine size/power in an attempt to reduce speeds - mind you, even the smaller bikes are capable of skid marks (you might want to think about that one.....)

As you mention, these are lap speeds too.I wonder what the highest speeds achieved are. Anything over a 100mph on a motor bike seemed fast to me. Actually 120 mph in a car seems quite fast too.

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

* zero-emission at point of use. Battery-electric buses still require power to be generated somewhere. At least within the UK far less of that is from combustion of fossil fuels than it once was.  How long until we detect a slowing of the Earth’s rotation caused by all the windmills we have planted in the sea?

Never  because the total angular momentum of the earth and its atmosphere doesn't change and winds get slowed down by friction with the surface anyway. However, tidal power generation would in theory slightly increase the slowing of the earth's rotation (but not by an amount we'd ever notice)  In fact, tidal forces have been gradualy slowing the earth's rotation, by about 1.8 milliseconds per year, for billions of years though, at the moment, it's actually speeding up slightly, possibly the result of human activity causing glacial melt and  the accumulation of water in reservoirs in the northern hemisphere.

Conservation of angular momentum means that, unless there are forces acting outside the planet and its atmosphere, the whole system should rotate at the same speed. In this case though there are forces acting, notably the moon. So, as lunar tidal forces gradually slow the earth's rotation the  moon gets further away and the total angular momentum of the earth-moon system remains constant.  This also happens, though to a lesser extent, from interaction with the sun and the other planets.

In principle, the extra mass of the turbine and blades a couple of hundred feet above the surface could, very slightly, decrease the speed of rotation but it would increase again if the turbine was later dismantled. Building a block of flats would have even more effect. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

Instructions for cleaning the toilet:

1. Lift the lid on the toilet and fill it with 1/8 cup of animal shampoo.
2. Take the cat in your arms and stroke it gently while slowly moving in the direction of the toilet.
3. At a suitable moment, throw the cat into the toilet bowl and close the lid quickly and either stand
or sit on the lid.
4. The cat will now start the cleaning process and will produce generate plenty of foam. Do not be
concerned about the loud noises coming from the toilet; your cat is enjoying himself.
5. After several minutes flush the toilet to start the “Power-wash” pre-wash and then flush again for
the main wash cycle.
6. Ask someone to open the front door and ensure that no-one is between the toilet and the front
door.
7. Get off the toilet seat and from a safe distance open the toilet lid quickly. The cat will dry off
naturally due to the high speed he will be moving from the toilet to the front door.
8. The toilet and the cat are now both clean.
With best wishes,
The Dog

image.png.d223019f6066ce9ad2158356664f015c.png

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

A miniature garden railway is one of my lottery winner dreams. 

Going round a garden and have a work train as well to make the g word a bit more entertaining 

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

... I have seriously considered having my own line round our acreage all 1.5 acres, however I have a summer out door hobby of sailing, so I decided that at most it will be an 18.2mm venture from the muddling shed, not a 190.5mm version... 

I too have passed the odd hour speculating about 'garden railways'. The good news is that while you need a bit more than loose change and what you can find down the back of the sofa, it doesn't necessarily require a win on euromillions. I costed out a 7.25 inch gauge line for a house and large garden I saw on Rightmove (which was affordable) and came up with a provisional budget of £50K. So long as you avoided expensive items (such as a steamer) then it wasn't impossible. Not cheap, certainly, but given I don't spend large amounts of money on items some folk regard as essentials and have been able to save a bit, then I have a little put aside for indulgences of various sorts. Should the right property come along, then maybe, just maybe... 

Though, yes, second hobbies are always a risk! 

• Like 14

Afternoon all 

A day of being busy doing lots of little jobs but don't feel like have achieved much.

More tidying in the garden and checking progress of various plants and feeding with a liquid seaweed solution. We have observed the following 

First flower on the sweet peas 

Grass seed has started to sprout the anti sparrow netting needs to stay in place. Another week or so and We will see where needs over sowing then we can move on to the next area.

Pyracanthus covered in white flowers

The large lavender plants are ready to explode into flower

Climbing rose has started to flower its socks off 

Lobelia in wishing well planter are getting ready to flower.

Some more garden waste has gone into the bin making it worthwhile to go out for emptying on Thursday 

A tip run has been done.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

A miniature garden railway is one of my lottery winner dreams. 

Going round a garden and have a work train as well to make the g word a bit more entertaining 

Try this for size it's a friend's magnum opus, and will be running on 25th and 26th June, and 10th July - see here for much more info.  It's in a village just outside Lancaster, and is only open to the public about three times a year - it really is the most magnificent garden railway I know.

Afternoon All

Had to skip a few pages, as I wanted to get off the computer, but I'm nearer to getting caught up than I have been for some time.

Last night, 30747 "decreed" that we could have a quiet day with no car boots, and not a lot of work.

This morning at about 05.30, she woke and said "I think we'll just go the the Leominster car boot" - so off we went to Leominster, and she bought a load of plants - then she decided that we would "have to do some planting but first, we'll move the small greenhouse" - well it isn't a proper greenhouse, it's one of these little plastic jobs from Aldi, but it had to be unloaded, detached from the wall, then reattached to the fence and reloaded.  Also once all that ws done, I was "released" to finish the shed, and to put a curtain rail up to cover the area under the stairs.

Quiet day - PAH.

Regards to All

Stewart

007.JPG

Edited by 45156
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I think you’d find this a bit more comfortable than a Chinook: https://www.jamesedition.com/helicopters/agusta/a109a_mk_ii/agusta-a109-mii-10614602

Bear worked at Agusta back in 1986/87 - they had a very nice 109 that was used as the corporate transport for the shinies; the lower part of the aircraft was metallic blue and the upper part was silver - it blended from the blue to the silver using lots of horizontal pin stripes that decreased in width with each one.  Did it look "smart"?  Oh yes, and some....

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

As you mention, these are lap speeds too. I wonder what the highest speeds achieved are. Anything over a 100mph on a motor bike seemed fast to me. Actually 120 mph in a car seems quite fast too.

The fastest guys are running over 200mph now - in 2015 a speed of 206mph was recorded - and there is talk on the net of 210mph in 2020.  This happened at a "mere" 130+ mph:

In other news......

A morning of fixing bits of skirting to walls - how many screws did this involve?  Er, six.....in Bear's defence there was much pondering, planning, levelling, measuring, looking at pictures (so I didn't drill thru' a water - or gas - pipe in the boxed-in section) and drilling.  Seems to have worked.  Post-din dins saw another two sections of skirting planned, pondered, marked and cut - followed by minute trimming as required to make them fit.  One advantage of a decent chop saw is that you can easily trim half a mm (or even less) without difficulty - try that with a hand saw.  Those two sections won't be fixed until tomorrow. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

The highest speed I have seen on the timing site this year was 'just' 197, the conditions have not been perfect so they have been down a little, as have lap speeds.  

As for how hard these guys are riding, have a close look at this photo of race winner Peter Hickman, courtesy of Northline Photography.

He'll be doing about 160-170 there, its a kink in a fast section through Crosby - to negotiate this kink at that speed he is sliding it.....eeoow.

485491453_FB_IMG_16549833586781.jpg.2cf7f5ce79c2d15178550370d0489c75.jpg

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Having said that, I’m sure @Gwiwer (amongst others) will explain why private trains aren’t feasible.

Feasible?  Yes. At a cost. 

Practicable?  How deep is your wallet and how flexible are your arrangements?  

The charter operators wil hire you a train and crew but the options of where and when to go are determined by the regulator and agreements on track access. 

You want a steam train with Victorian carriages normally kept on a museum running on the international high speed line?  Non, monsieur. But a main-line registered rake of anything from 1930s Pullman cars, Mk1/2/3/4 or similar stock with traction as available and if a suitable path can be negotiated for your journey then yes it cam be done. 

The privatised TOCs don’t normally offer charter services for a private train but there’s no harm in asking especially if you are negotiating with a blank cheque in your hand. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

The story so far. 

Dr. SWMBO remained soundly asleep but had left evidence in the kitchen suggesting she had woken very early and made herself some breakfast. I therefore made my own and got myself ready. 

I popped my head around her door shortly before we were due to leave and found her just awake. She declared herself under-enthusiastic about getting up and going out. 

So I went on my way. 

Plan A had already been hatched with reference to the special event bus timetables; had we travelled together a reduced Plan B would have been used. 

Plan A worked nicely until arrival in Windsor. The town was absolutely heaving with people. Much as I had expected and very much what Dr. SWMBO cannot cope with. I hopped on the next bus back as far as Slough. 

From there Plan A should have had me heading into Heathrow but the bus for tgat trip was nowhere to be seen. It eventually arrived over half an hour late and with much fuss and bother duly left even later. 

The reason for its late running soon became apparent. At every stop with anyone waiting the driver pulled up whether hailed or not and the conductor asked each and everyone where they were going.  The trip back took an age and a half losing more time at every stop. 

All’s well that ends well and I was back Upon the Hill of Strawberries for a late afternoon muggercoffy.  Dr. SWMBO had visited the G***** C***** meaning I now have green stuff to place in the ground!  

Here’s a Gwiwer in the wild with a couple of other views from today. 

B9C5A982-9B55-4E12-A271-0EBF8AC7FF40.jpeg.ad9161a59a6ad88c7591cc870a039277.jpeg

D453DA41-CE00-4F4C-AAF3-9977AA4F6AA0.jpeg.26b250d31ec2fb0e37c4253f0a798d70.jpeg

392F8632-F48D-4FDF-BA09-4596E8118865.thumb.jpeg.f61bd81985f5b1bfdcf76409c303dff3.jpeg

2EEF1C01-2F72-4BAB-9615-EC6E06FE9F11.thumb.jpeg.aaef2fce8db7171ae7011fd972fc1b2f.jpeg

9C079A22-51A5-4880-87FD-FB4C38582E90.thumb.jpeg.d5d74831255247bf435cd92bf5214416.jpeg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

The fastest guys are running over 200mph now - in 2015 a speed of 206mph was recorded - and there is talk on the net of 210mph in 2020.  This happened at a "mere" 130+ mph:

Check out the video of Mark Higgins lap in a  Subaru . Average of 128.73 MPH ,

lap time of 17-35 . Speeds of 170 + in places .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

In Switzerland you can get a Generalabbonent  - which allows for unlimited first or second class travel to any place at any time 24/7 for a year. A personal GA (valid for only the named person in the photo ID) in First Class costs about SFr 6000 - roughly £4935.

For some reason I don’t think they would ever think that a good idea in this country.  A 14 day  first class rover is/was £1250.

Making rail transport easier and cheaper would ….  Oops … sorry … heading into forbidden territory.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I thought  the foxes had gone but this afternoon the whole family were sunning themselves in the back garden. The little one no longer seems interested in scratching at the patio door though. I don't feed them but with the hot dry weather I might leave some water out for them.

• Like 17