The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

Was advised to not drive for 15 minutes

Standard advice after many jabs.  Wait in the designated area and don't drive for 15 minutes.  Just in case you suffer an adverse reaction.  We got that after Covid jabs 2 and 3 but oddly not after the first.  Perhaps the pressure was so hard on that they just wanted us through and out.  I got the same advice many years ago when I had antihistamine jabs for hayfever.  Not that they ever worked.  But I was still "under observation" for 15 minutes by the GPs receptionist every week for a couple of months.  

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Standard advice after many jabs.  Wait in the designated area and don't drive for 15 minutes.  Just in case you suffer an adverse reaction.  We got that after Covid jabs 2 and 3 but oddly not after the first.  Perhaps the pressure was so hard on that they just wanted us through and out.  I got the same advice many years ago when I had antihistamine jabs for hayfever.  Not that they ever worked.  But I was still "under observation" for 15 minutes by the GPs receptionist every week for a couple of months.  

I wasn’t required to wait after first two Astra Zeneca jabs, had to wait after first but not second Pfizer. For this Moderna vaccine , advised not to drive but was allowed to leave. 
I suppose  my next vaccine will be the flu shot. Apparently observations of current virus strains in Australia is taking place to determine this years viral cocktail.  
Tony

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Grizz said:

Ha well last night wasn’t great but…..Thinking back to my first day on British Rail, I sat in the office opposite my boss. He said “ I take it you can read because you are sitting in front of me. Please read aloud from the poster on the wall behind me.”

Behind him was a giant poster with a BR logo on it. Underneath that in large bold print it said.

Remember……Things are never so bad…..that they can’t get worse!  He then said “Remember that all your days!”

With that prophetic phrase in mind I present the follow evidence…..

image.jpeg.c67b53f541fb5d33284122f4c957c013.jpeg

Oh Bollox! 

I should have use longer screws in the East Wing door! 

I had this on May 19, after a night of feeling rottten, with a T line that appeared instantly and thicker than than the C.  If you're not vulnerable, my non-medically qualified advice would be to not now waste tests checking every day. You've got it so rest, don't go out, drink plenty of (non alcoholic) liquids and enjoy a few days of justified relaxation. Mine came a couple of weeks after a non-Covid virus that gave me a sore throat that felt like swallowing razor blades (or what I imagine that to feel like ) and that was actually far worse. 

I tested again after four days and got a much fainter line that took a while to appear and I was negative by the 28th. Fortunately, that was in good time for a friend's first for three years Derby Day garden party. 

I enjoyed what I saw of the Jubilee on TV but it was a shame not tobe able to  wave at HM as she passed my friend's house on the way to Epsom as in previous years. I did notice that the train to Tattenham Corner was a lot quieter than on most Derby Days and the Hill, from where some of us watched the race, and the Downs seemed a lot less crowded than usual. Whether that was because of the Jubilee, the forecast weather (though that turned out alright), people getting away for the extended weekend or ongoing worried about Covid I couldn't say. 

My sister and BinL had a street part on Thursday but there was nothing like that in my bit of London with only a few flags including my pathetic effort gaffa taped to the drainpipe.

I loved the Paddington sketch. It was pure magic and something to be treasured in years to come. A job like hers must require a good sense of humour.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

A morning of danglin' on a paint brush completed without incident.  Tick.  A journey to the shed to clean the brush revealed that the score is also currently unchanged.  Good.  That concludes Bear's excitement for the day, apart from a squidgy (aka rotten) satsuma detected upon opening a new bag that was still in-date - snottogram prepared n' emailed to the co-op accordingly, which is always worthwhile as it results in a gift card thru' the post without fail.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

And todays task - removal of old mattress after John Lewis delivered our new one - maybe we should have paid the removal fee....

Bagged it, sealed it, dragged it down from the 2nd floor via a reversal in the living room on the first floor and then rolled it on it's side into the garage for safekeeping. 

I did ask the delivery chaps if they would assist, but got a straight succinct No, couldn't ask Mrs W - one she wasn't in and two, I would not forgive myself if she made her back worse than it already is and just showing signs of recovery.

Anyway, it's modelling tokens for a job well done - two bodyshells in green ordered from Farish - a 31 and a 47.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

1975694713_AfternoonAll.JPG.04a72c8c43bdaee7059cc94c3283d1b6.JPG

Puppers had been away for the weekend "On a special mission" close to Windsor - I can say no more 😆

Many pages of ER's  skimmed through and some suitable ratings applied, apologies for any omissions!

In answer to  @polybear's question from some pages back.    I don't know but I've any idea for a cunning but non-tunable dodge* .......  there maybe a clue in this post.

Alan

*  Poly, surely this would be worthy of a coveted Innovation Award from you know where?

Edited by PupCam
Added note
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, PupCam said:

In answer to  @polybear's question from some pages back.    I don't know but I've any idea for a cunning but non-tunable dodge* .......  there maybe a clue in this post.

Alan

*  Poly, surely this would be worthy of a coveted Innovation Award from you know where?

Er, just what was Bear's question exactly??

I have trouble remembering even what day it is......

In other news.....

Bear is currently listing "stuff" on the 'bay - though a sudden desire to scoff some "Tea" may well interrupt proceedings.  Priorities n' all that.....

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

In other news.....

Bear is currently listing "stuff" on the 'bay - though a sudden desire to scoff some "Tea" may well interrupt proceedings.  Priorities n' all that.....

The Bay is awful listing and wrapping, I only like the bit in the middle where people give me money.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, polybear said:

Er, just what was Bear's question exactly??

I have trouble remembering even what day it is......

How to duplicate jazzy greetings .....

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

so after 3 weeks my new passport has arrived. I don't like the blue cover (it is nowhere near the old very dark Blue ones) and it looks like it has been pasted together but.. such is life.

Busy day making and receiving phone calls and emails about Cricket Officiating. Well its part of the "voluntary position" I have Pah!

next up .. avoiding getting involved in a cricket meeting being "secretaried" by her indoors.

Tomorrow involves a trip to Consett CC for cricket.. be aware @BoD and @Two_sugars I will be in the best County Palatine int he World.. at least for a while!

TTFN

Baz

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Spent the Jubilee weekend decorating (surprise) and we finally got the hall painted and papered - and the curtain pole is up, and carrying a curtain.  Also the notice board was moved, and a new offcut of wallpaper was put on as a backing - it was not working where it was initially So no RMWeb for 45156 has been the norm.  Sincere apologies and generic greetings are offered, as usual.

Tomorrow is shopping then more decorating - though not sure what.

Wednesday is a day that I am not looking forward to, as I have to visit the Fangmeisterin to have my wisdom tooth with a big hole in it, and which is getting infected removed.   Anyway, it has to come out, and that's all there is to it - root canal and filling have been ruled out.

Anyway, for anybody who is interested, here's the result of the hallway.

Regards to All

Stewart

IMG_0854.JPG

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:

1975694713_AfternoonAll.JPG.04a72c8c43bdaee7059cc94c3283d1b6.JPG

Puppers had been away for the weekend "On a special mission" close to Windsor - I can say no more 😆

No need.....

image.png.8d13b2613fb406d4bf42ddb632b18699.png

44 minutes ago, PupCam said:

How to duplicate jazzy greetings .....

Oh yeah.....I kinda remember now....

Innovation award?  Are you a Project Manager/HR Oik?  No?  Dream on, sonny......

Besides, it'd need to be a Tunable Dodge at the very least - with a LDC bribe attached.....

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land.  Nipped down to Tess Coes for the normal consumables this morning. When I came home the fox family were in the garden. The smallest cub was scratching on the patio door again but the other two bigger cubs were trying to mount their mother who was having none of it. Rather strange behaviour all the same. Their little brother still contents himself with scratching at the patio doors and seems fearless whereas the others run away at the slightest noise.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm used to getting scams in my in-box, easily dealt with, just into the spam folder and block the sender. I'm now getting notifications that a virus is infecting my computer, not by e-mail but in the notifications box in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. The notification supposedly comes from MacAfee and invites me to upgrade my protection. However I use another system to protect my computer not MacAfee and that is working properly.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I have a feeling the oil reacted with both the plastic and the concrete.

Maybe, maybe not. We used to coat shuttering with diesel as a release agent and it worked just fine.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

8 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Thanks, did so as above ...

What won't be as evident in histories recounting "the facts" is the cultural impact of the early 1970s in Australia.

Without being *too* political, Labor was in the wilderness from 1949 to 1972 with a series of Liberal and (then called) Country party coalition governments. On their election, (with the slogan "It's Time!") the Whitlam administration took the opportunity to make many changes*, which of course conservatives hated - having been in government and resisting exactly those sort of changes for more than two decades - 16 years of those under the Menzies government.

* One example of which was to finally end the racist "White Australia Policy". While it had been (sort of) eroded during the conservative period, it was the Whitlam government that finally got rid of it.

Government investment in architecture, the arts (and the artistic community) was particularly controversial.

It's funny that @monkeysarefun mentioned "Sir Les Patterson" (Minister for the Yartz).  Humphries first performed the character in 1974. In part it skewered Labor patronage of art - and the reaction from conservatives.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, pH said:

Maybe, maybe not. We used to coat shuttering with diesel as a release agent and it worked just fine.

The other thing to bear in mind with Concrete is that it doesn't dry - it hardens (or cures).  The water starts a chemical reaction; if concrete is forced to "dry" too quickly (e.g. "I wanna park my car on the new drive asap") then it won't do the concrete any favours whatsoever - that's why concrete should be covered with plastic wherever possible to keep the moisture trapped inside so it can dry slowly.

In the case of iD's ornament - and assuming it's "normal" concrete rather than some form of hybrid mix - then I suspect that leaving the mould on for a few days (a week?) may be more successful.

Yours,

Bear

(who last cast things using "Linka" and also "Plastercasters" - the latter being a Paddington Bear.....😀)

In other news......

Numerous items now on the 'bay, starting at 9pm.  Bear Castle has more than a few more items than can head the same way at some point. 

Edited by polybear
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Kerr didn't help himself by appearing drunk at a Melbourne Cup and went to his.grave forever thought of by the nation at large as some kind of Les Paterson style bumbling toff.

Prophetically, or as cursed?

I was still in school, but remember it like it was yesterday - (and I've lived in the US for 36 years so it's not like it shows up on television here).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8

Aah the world of concrete. I have even seen Bison slabs crack and split longitudinally when being lifted I can tell you its very frightening. And they were factory made with pre stressed reinforcement.

There are lots of variables in a mix you can even use PVA as an admixture to help bonding.

I have always used timber as formwork in the past 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Tomorrow involves a trip to Consett CC for cricket.. be aware @BoD and @Two_sugars I will be in the best County Palatine int he World.. at least for a while!

We’ve locked up the women, children, and ham and peas pudding stotties.

• Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

And todays task - removal of old mattress after John Lewis delivered our new one - maybe we should have paid the removal fee....

Bagged it, sealed it, dragged it down from the 2nd floor via a reversal in the living room on the first floor and then rolled it on it's side into the garage for safekeeping. 

I did ask the delivery chaps if they would assist, but got a straight succinct No, couldn't ask Mrs W - one she wasn't in and two, I would not forgive myself if she made her back worse than it already is and just showing signs of recovery.

Anyway, it's modelling tokens for a job well done - two bodyshells in green ordered from Farish - a 31 and a 47.

Sounds like someone else with a 3 storey house and all the delights of getting stuff up and down the stairs 

I feel your pain

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

That was a busy day, three bike races, and the last was a corker with local lad Connor Cummins getting second with a scorching 133mph lap in Superstocks.  Another fatality in the morning Supersport race which was a real downer.

Puppers and the Bear may like this restomod CB900 I spotted - bears (oof) close inspection for the well done modifications.

932539757_20220605_1411491.thumb.jpg.8ecf0e978c3515cb58449ad115b7d32c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

That was a busy day, three bike races, and the last was a corker with local lad Connor Cummins getting second with a scorching 133mph lap in Superstocks.  Another fatality in the morning Supersport race which was a real downer.

Puppers and the Bear may like this restomod CB900 I spotted - bears (oof) close inspection for the well done modifications.

932539757_20220605_1411491.thumb.jpg.8ecf0e978c3515cb58449ad115b7d32c.jpg

Bear likes....

Let's see now - USD Forks, Brembo Brakes, Wheels, Monoshock Conversion, Exhaust capable of waking the dead, cut-down seat......dribble dribble.

However....

Bear's is metallic blue - which as everyone knows is The Fastest Colour......

In other news.....

It seems that a certain Bozo won't be looking for another job just yet......

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Prophetically, or as cursed?

I was still in school, but remember it like it was yesterday - (and I've lived in the US for 36 years so it's not like it shows up on television here).

I too was in school, I remember our teacher spending the afternoon gathered around the radio in the staff common room with the other teachers,we got to spend the afternoon running around the dustbowl playground and we changed the rules of "British Bulldog" from tip to tackle and no teachers came and stopped us unlike usual. 

I was a bit young for the Whitlam years but I do remember the conservatives when they appeared on telly campaign ads were boring blokes in suits like my grandad while Labor always seemed to feature happy young blondes with tight T-shirts with "ITs Time" in funky 70's font across their fronts   and pop music so I couldn't figure out why everyone wouldnt vote for them. 

Whitlams  pledge to end the Vietnam involvement was probably his major vote winner, at the time  Australia had a conscription system where 20 year olds were "eligible" for conscription, which meant 2 years service in Vietnam, not a popular idea to many. I recall there was a regular  bizarre ballot system that might have been televised like a sick Bingo call where marbles with dates were selected at random and read out, and if your birthday came up you had to get ready for the call up.

Again I was too young to be directly affected but being of that age where you think the world is always going to be as it is right then I was   starting  to stress that eventually I'd be called up too.

The conscriptions clutches  was just starting to reach down to some of my classmates older brothers, sisters boyfriends, younger uncles kind of age, in fact I think my future BIL had to register himself as eligible to go into the draft or something when the election happenned and brought an end to it.

Naturally the rich (and conservative politicians)  had ways to avoid their offspring going - university, deferrals and so on so it fell to the poor old apprentice plumbers and the like to go off to the jungle.

I dont know if the Australian people in general viewed the communist threat as a big bogeyman or whether the government tried to make it one for us like in the US, I do recall maps showing a black stain creeping down IndoChina in our direction but they did look a bit like the same maps used in WW2 to describe the Japanese Army, with "Japanese Army" rubbed out and "Communist Threat" written in its place. 

Apart from the end of conscription, for 3 short years of Whitlam he left a pretty big social legacy - Medicare, Aboriginal rights, free University education, income support for single mothers who weren't widows (prior to this if you were a single mum you had zero support from the government, you can imagine the kind of lives that they had to lead and the things they had to resort to to feed their kids...) were just a couple, along with like you mentioned before cultural advances like funding Australian cinema which lead to that first wave of "big"" Australian movies, "Picnic At Hanging Rock", "Sunday Too Far Away", "Chant Of Jimmy Blacksmith"  etc etc and eventually Mad Max which is like "The Railway Children" for Aussie kids.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2