The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Is that the size of dish you need to get Sky TV on the IoM?

Wrong way around - it's what we use to broadcast TT racing to the uncivilised (ie off island) world. 😁

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

No doubt @PupCam could knock up one of those ardweeno thingies to help with that....

As it happens, a friends son-in-law is a radio astronomer there.      It's not fair, his telescope is (somewhat!) bigger than my telescope!

Already been looking into the possibilities of an Ardweeeeennoooooooo based radio telescope mainly because it's mostly cloudy in Puppershire and you can't see B All with an optical one most of the time.    Of course, tools of peaceful science can usually be turned into weapons and can then be sold to the supervillain with the largest wallet for a juicy profit.     Would that make the supplier a supervillain too?       Perhaps a new Arms race could be in the offing?    Probably be needing a Trials Engineer to assist with the development then....

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

All sorted mate.....

1641298223_P1200063(Medium).JPG.7f4dc8bea664e4728f5bd6ecdbebdfcd.JPG

Looks like Donk is fixing the old video recorder to me 🤔

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Last week I did make mention that no annoying ads/videos/cr@p was screwing up RMWeb when using the Tablet (an Amazon Fire).  The secret?  View the Forum in Italy 😁.  Dunno why this should be.  I suspect paying twelve quid for the new premium membership may be somewhat more practical.

I did say not to get too excited at "the fix" though....

Very few adverts in France either.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, PupCam said:

Perhaps a new Arms race could be in the offing?    Probably be needing a Trials Engineer to assist with the development then....

Bear just happens to know er, just the Bear for the job.....

We need to talk money cake........

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis sprang a surprise attack this evening. A brace of Nurofen have sorted him for now but another two before I go to bed seems like a good idea.

• Friendly/supportive 14

So at the weekend I finally got round to installing the Mark 1 D.Do.G.D or to give it's full title the Devil Dog Gate Deterrent.

So far there has only been one incident where DD managed to circumvent the deterrent and unfortunately I didn't actually witness it. So the jury is still out as to how she achieved it. Until I figure it out I'm not going to proceed with the Mark 2 version.

However I have been able to dismantle the 'Berlin Wall' that had been erected in order to stop DD from reaching the gate. So now I have a clear driveway and don't have reverse wanting for the crunch to tell me to stop.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the weather never gets really improved, the rain intermittent all day, but nevertheless, we went to the RHS Bridgewater Gardens. We spent about 30 - 40 minutes in the gift shop then head d for the cafe for a drink. After that we took advantage of a break in the weather and went to the outside plant nursery, where we bought another dozen or so plants. If the weather is fine tomorrow, they will get planted out in the flower beds. 

After dinner Ava and Evie sat at the dining room table and did some drawing, whilst I sat on the sofa and read a magazine. 

Tonight’s tea was a light meal, soup and bread and was followed by the last of the cheesecake that I made on Saturday, here’s a photo, just to remind everyone, it is was lemon and white chocolate on a ginger biscuit base. 

4060714D-54A6-4C80-BBB2-8741C88E21D4.jpeg.29d0858240b3d1e5dd75f2cfd03117b0.jpeg

After tea I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix and stocked up the cupboards for the week. It was very quiet and the shelves seemed well stocked, I had expected there to be one or two items that I’d not be able to get, but that wasn’t the case. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Fame at last, when I visited the Billericay exhibition on Saturday I stopped to chat to one of the exhibitors. Whilst doing so someone took a snap of us and its now been posted on Farcebook.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Look at the snow I had to drive through this morning like I'm living in Flavioland. 

Know it was a cold night but when did it ever snow in Sydney before? 

Have to put salt on my tyres or whatever it is you do. 

image.png.17932798c4cd83bd916b37fcdd1e0e80.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Look at the snow I had to drive through this morning ...

Looks like you managed OK. 😉  Might be a good ski season this year?

We still haven't hit 26°C / 80°F this year (usually by May 8) and meteorological summer starts on Wednesday. The holiday long weekend was wet (well Saturday was wet).

Meanwhile the east coast is hot, and the first Pacific hurricane of the season (and the most intense to make landfall in May) has made landfall on the Mexican coast.

After a mostly cloudy long weekend, this evening sees sunshine before sunset - almost at 9:00pm with the equinox only about three weeks away. I haven't noticed early sunrises (clouds and blinds help) but the late sunsets are evident.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

I managed to get into the jungle for about 45 minutes yesterday, between bouts of rainfall.  Although a noticeabe impression was made, much remains to be done.  There is still room in the green bin for unwanted greenery.

Away from the jungle, I am concerned at not having heard from one particular friend since before Christmas.  I thought that he might have been away travelling but if he is it is not with Ffestiniog Travel.  If I knew exactly where in Theydon Bois he lives I would happily drive down and bang on his door.  Right now I am hoping that he is still alive ...

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

iD's @iL Dottore days, well, Captain Cynical anyway, are numbered - with low numbers.

Donk is just zeroing in his superzapper ray gun now.

JD.jpg.469b908c8d0b9be719355c0f6d3d3e3a.jpg

It seems like Donk is upping the ante!

So, Captain Cynical will have to become really devious, underhand and just plain nasty!

Captain Cynical is thinking that the usual, and always successful, strategy is to turn off the financial taps!

When XXXXX,  ******* and §§§§§§ (amongst others) on the IoM realise they can no longer access their monies hidden in assorted Swiss banks, I am sure they will be more than eager to have a quick word with Donk to “explain the geopolitical implications of financial realpolitik

Captain Cynical believes, like Churchill, that “jaw, jaw is better than war, war” (conflict really eats into CC’s “business opportunities”), so is amenable to talks about removing Spezzatino di Musso from the CCI GmbH canteen menu.

Furthermore, Captain Cynical is so impressed by Donk’s stubborn perseverance in the face of overwhelming and insurmountable odds, that he is thinking of offering Donk a freelance minion position in the CCI GmbH organisation…

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny but chilly Charente.  We even had to put the paraffin heatervon for a while last night.  Today the kitchen work starts. Some preparation was done. Cupboa4ds were emptied, and a tile was lifted in the bathroom to expose a pair of stop taps.  I only discovered them when we refurbished the bathroom so when the new floor was laid a tile was placed on supporting wood and then grouted in.  A few  minutes work and the tile came up easily and I now don't need to turn the whole house water off to take the sink out.

The sink is made of pot and is a 5' long, double drainer/double sink,  it sit's nearly 3" deep so weighs more than I want to lift.  Therefore the lump hammer and a chisel are going to be deplyed shortly. We have arranged to eat out for the next three days.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Mix lingerie here. Our intended trip to Macclesfield for an Over 60s cricket match could well be off today.  Met Office says ..chuckinitdarn now followed by showers onand off for most of the day. Pah!

I was supposed to be umpiring a development game on Sunday. Due to one of the umpires having a major problem on Sunday I may have to umpire in a big cup match with some rather stroppy players instead. Better prepare my pencil and note book.

Nice cheese cake @BSW01, good luck with the sink @jamie92208.

Wonder how our missing ERs are? Like @chrisf it's not good when you lose contact with people.

Mugatea ime!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start after plenty of rain yesterday evening and again during the night.  Cloudy with a hint of blue appearing but more showers with some sunny spells forecast.

This morning The Boss is treating me to breakfast at a local Harvester as she's been a couple of times recently with friends and they've enjoyed it.  I'll wait and see because I haven't been to one of their establishments for several years because of the poor service and quality of the food. 

After that, weather permitting, we may go for a walk and I may also muddle after poking my head into The Shed yesterday and making a few notes about what needs to be done.  The list is extensive, you'd think that after all the time spent in lockdown etc I'd have finished it by now.  PAHHHHHH!  It was suggested to me by a well meaning friend when I started the project that maybe I was biting off a bit more than I could chew.  Yep, looks like it.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2