The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 hours ago, BSW01 said:

I shall drop Sheila off at the surgery, she is due another blood pressure test. She’s doesn’t like having her blood pressure taken at the best of times, so she’s not looking forward to this at all, which will no doubt raise it higher than it should be.

Do you have a blood pressure monitor at home? It means you can do the measurement without the presence of a ‘white coat’ plus, if you do it regularly, you get more used to the process.

We have one of these:

https://www.mywellcare.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2893

While the advert is Canadian, I believe they’re available in the UK. The machine keeps a record of readings, so you can see any trends (good or bad).

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

In all the discussion of new cities, the was no mention of

will there be 8 more Stanier Pacifics?

There were already quite a few cities served by the LMS that were not used as names for Stanier Pacifics.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  We have foxes or should I say Renards, around and even found a dead one in what is now the chicken run, aka Cluckingham Palace.  The growth of the deercand wild boar population, with no natural predators is starting to worry people here. For the past 2 years the hunting season has been extended for a month to try and control the boar in particular.

Yesterday went well with our model railway group meet.  Today there is our usual chat to Emily and her mums.  Then it's time to muck the chivkens out and to pack and prepare for my Swiss trip.  Oh and a zoom meeting.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, pH said:

Do you have a blood pressure monitor at home? It means you can do the measurement without the presence of a ‘white coat’ plus, if you do it regularly, you get more used to the process.

We have one of these:

While the advert is Canadian, I believe they’re available in the UK. The machine keeps a record of readings, so you can see any trends (good or bad).

That’s a very good idea. A single. “one off” BP measurement, whilst useful, is by no means a definitive assessment of whether or not a patient is/isn’t normotensive.

An illustration: I ‘m currently reviewing the case notes of a patient: at about 11am - when the scheduled BP assessment was taken - the patient was normotensive. Three hours later the patient had a hypotensive episode.

The point is that blood pressure, pulse (heart rate) and respiratory rate can change rapidly and these parameters fluctuate constantly. In cardiovascular (and other) studies not only do you pay attention to single abnormalities, but you also look at trends in these parameters as well. In one cancer study, given the known effect of the drug on blood pressure (although the drug was not an antihypertensive) BPs were taken every 15 minutes for 6 hours after study drug administration allowing us to establish a window for post-administration hypotension.

Finally, if you are taking your own (or a family member’s) BP on a regular basis and you want to see how new medication is affecting BP or if you want to keep a daily record I would advise that:

• It’s taken the same time and in the same place each day
  • It’s taken in the same position (sitting or lying)
  • And after the same amount of resting (depending on authority this is as little as 5 minutes and as much as 15)

So you sit SWMBO (or whomever the “patient” is) down in the comfy chair at 07:30 every morning, put the sphygmomanometer (aka BP cuff) on an arm (same arm each time), wait 5-10 minutes then take the BP.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Captain Cynical Industries GmbH Press Release

CCI GmbH is pleased to announce the launch of its Junior Minion training programme: The Typhoo Tots (so-named cos it’s full of “tea leaves”).

The trial programme was incredibly successful, with every single young “Minion In Training” getting a delivery job with one of the major courier/delivery companies and thus unfettered access to whole warehouses of opportunity!

CCI GmbH is now taking applications for the second class of Typhoo Tots

Captain Cynical 

p.s. Now, what the hell does CC do with 3500 rare, mint, unboxed, fresh-from-the-factory Hornby and Bachmann models?????

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

A good night's sleep has been had. My game starts at 1pm.. problem is what can I do before I leave for the game? Some light reading? Or prep for my game tomorrow? Well I can combine the two and read the rules I suppose.

Before that I must drink my mugatea, make and eat a bacon sandwich and have a shower.

So much (not) to do, so little time to do it all in!

Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

We have a blood pressure machine.   I was once asked by my GP to take readings twice a day for a week then take the results in to her.  She was amazed when I took them in the form of a printed spreadsheet with the averages at the bottom of each column. Apparently it saved her having to do them.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl 

6.5 hours solid sleep good for me, forepaws a lot happier, the right one is somewhat stiff though.

Ben the I want out Collie that took me on patrol, by chance  his girlfriend was taking her slave past so they had a chat through the gate...

Sunny and dry out there.

Plans for today 

More work on TV heater cabinet, more work on preparation for shed moving.

Time to put the bacon in the pan.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. @chrisf Congratulations on getting your place on the London Pride march. I would suggest test wearing your rainbow boots beforehand if they haven't been worn in a while.

6 hours ago, pH said:

We have one of these:

Indeed they are available in the UK and even under a special offer from Lloyds chemists so I've ordered one. They are rated #2 out of ten on a comparison website but the #1 machine is three times the price and the website appears to have a connection with that particular make.

Now off to my first model railway exhibition this year.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

The voting in Oz - and the tradition of the sossie snagger - actually got a few minutes on BBC tv news this morning.  As for iD's little problem, what is needed is a "Fence" - ideally of the model shop owning variety.....

Bear gone....

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, petethemole said:

Early this evening a young lady knocked the door with a lawn mower in tow offering to mow the front grass for a fiver towards her prom dress.  I'd let it go a bit and it includes a lot of couch grass so I thought why not?, save me the trouble.  She did a lovely job.  Also, out the front we have a sofa for disposal, leather, three seater, very good nick, that had to go as it's too big.  First she offered her Dad would take it to the tip for a tenner, but when I explained it was in good nick she thought her mum might take it for a flat they rent out, so hopefully it will go for further use rather than the tip.  We'll see.

Well done to that young lady. Sounds like she's got a bit of initiative in her. You don't often she that.

I would keep an eye on her. She's either going to end up in charge of a big company or in jail.

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunny start here and it should stay that way.  Perhaps I'll wash the car or is that pushing my luck?

Rugby watched last night and two matches on offer today so that's my afternoon sorted.  Quins taking on Gloucester at big Twickenham and this game is important to both sides so it could be a cracker.  The Boss will not be impressed by my "attendance" at these matches.

Had a lovely phone call from Gemma yesterday thanking us for her good luck gift.  She seems to be OK and fairly confident about her exams with the first one on Monday.  I know how much work she's put in over the past year so really hope she does well and all digits will be crossed for her. 

Time for breakfast.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

I learned yesterday that I have a place in the parade at Pride in London on 2nd July.  With about 40,000 other people I shall be marching from Hyde Park Corner to Trafalgar Square via Piccadilly Circus.  I do hope it doesn't rain!  Between now and then I need to study the list of do's and don'ts issued by Pride HQ [are those apostrophes in the right places?] but I did notice that nudity is not allowed.  Not a problem!  I am looking forward to this event, not least because it is high time my rainbow boots appeared in public again.  Three years ago, when the march started at Broadcasting House, I was mildly amused to find that the boots were being photographed.  Takes all sorts ...

Chris 

Oh I'd keep an eye out then if I were you. You may find there are now counterfeit copies in circulation and you'll be surrounded by rainbow boots when your on parade on July.

Perhaps you should consider patenting them so you can earn some royalties.

• Like 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a rock that alleges 14c but feels like a lot, lot less.

That Swiss army performance reminds me of a Python sketch - soldiers lining up to the command 'Camp it....UP' and doing so (no offence to Chris) I recall the Army not being too pleased about it.

I use a home sphyg, an Omron,  used it for years as my anxiety and thus white coat syndrome makes measurements in a clinical setting a farce.  I am hypertensive, but not to the extent measurements in the surgery would indicate.  Medication is otherwise effective.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

p.s. Now, what the hell does CC do with 3500 rare, mint, unboxed, fresh-from-the-factory Hornby and Bachmann models?????

CC....what ever you do...never ever...OPEN THE BOXES!!!! They were never meant to be opened....EVER. 

Bachmann and Hornby only make these precious products just so 'The Chosen Ones' or 'Guardians Of The Product' can make sure that only they have them and that the 'My Precious' items remain safe in their original sealed boxes.

The boxes were only ever meant to be kept in darkened vaults, with temperature controlled environments. To be inspected periodically by 'The Chosen Ones' wearing full chemical warfare suits, in dimmed lighting conditions, through safety glasses that will not fade or degrade the colour of the boxes. 

All this so that the 'Guardians Of The Product' can sleep safe in the knowledge that 'The Lesser Persons' will never ever be able to possess them and spoil them by....OPENING THE BOXES!!!! (an offence punishable by burning on the village green or other suitable means of separating a person from their breath!).

🤣🤣🤣

P.S. I must confess before all ERs, that my name is Grizz and I am a serial 'Despoiler Of The Product'.

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium

Oh, as for the new 'City' class - I have suggested to the team that are currently at Welshpool with our number 8 'Fenella' at the Beyer Bash, she be renamed 'City of Douglas' on her return.  The replies are unprintable.  Of course there already is a 'Douglas', number 9.  She's not turned a wheel for many a year.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2