The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Stealing [catalytic converters] due to their "worth" has now become almost top of the list in crimes here. With a battery powered saw they can be removed in minutes, and folks are losing them even in daylight hours in store/church parking lots!

I believe the airport long-term parking was hit in Portland.

The other crime of opportunity seems to be 'smash-and-grabs'. These have long been a problem in Silicon Valley where people would leave laptop bags in cars - even in 'good' neighbourhoods. These were prolific in a busy strip mall with lots of restaurants that I frequented. The property manager even hired a security patrol, but that was insufficient.

Local news seems to love these kind of stories. Last night multiple channels had a story of some visiting mountain climbers who left all their gear in a rental car parked on the street overnight while they slept in their hotel room. They were shocked when, making their police report, the police officer did not react like the theft was extraordinary and the rental car company told them it happens a couple of times a week.

Easily prevented by not leaving things in cars. The Portland Police Bureau recently tweeted a PSA about leaving guns in cars. Apparently guns stolen from parked cars is serious enough that it has their attention.

A little sadder and harder to prevent is the theft of self-rented moving vans or trailers (usually the "U-Haul" brand in the US). While moving, people will park them at a budget hotel on the edge of town only to wake up and find all their worldly possessions have disappeared.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

The vixen and cubs are back in the garden this evening. The cubs are playing but one of them must have misbehaved as mum gave it a swipe. Not going out to the MRC after all, still feeling cream crackered.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

2 hours ago, polybear said:

When you're having a bad day - spare a thought for this Guy:

(Warning - it may upset some)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61451469

On a slightly ,lighter, note, and especially for polybear spare a thought for this guy, though again it is Australian so there is a language warning.  I can't believe how much we swear, though this bloke is excused under the circumstances, though the tiger snake sits a lowly 11 on the world's deadliest snake list.

Features an Ingenious use of vice grips and interesting to note that the understanding that snakes are protected and so  cannot be harmed is something even this bloke takes into consideration.

In the US he'd have taken out one of his many guns, blown the snake and his leg off, job done.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Round of applause 1

21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

In the US he'd have taken out one of his many guns, blown the snake and his leg off, job done.

I know a hunter who, regularly in rattlesnake country, has a short-barreled scattershot sidearm. Rattlesnakes are not protected. I cannot comment on whether this weapon is entirely legal.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The fox cubs are still around, though its to dark to see them you can hear their cries. No sign of Si Attica or Arthur Itis but I still need to be careful as it doesn't take much to wake them up. No sign of the thunder storms yet but its starting to feel muggy. Now back to Farcebook, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been very kind to me today, it was absolutely glorious, wall to wall sunshine, with a temperature that reached 22C. This meant I was able to crack on with sanding the final shelf. I’m pleased to say that it is now complete and ready for staining and varnishing and is currently in the cellar with the other 2. It was all but complete before dinner, I just wanted to give it a final going over with some fine sand paper, then I was able to tidy up. I’d created an awful lot of dust, which I’ve swept up daily, but after today’s final sweep up, I washed everywhere done with the hose, then afterwards watered the plants. Typically, like the last few evenings, it once again rained. But I’ll bet if I hadn’t watered the plants, it wouldn’t have rained at all. 

The plan for tomorrow is to put up the shelf brackets and see how they all look. I can then mark where I need to put the small notch then staining and varnishing can be started. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

16 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Americans are no different than the rest of us (although when Americans do “stoopid” they really do “stoopid”)

Hey they saved our ar5e in WW2 (once they turned up!)

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I know a hunter who, regularly in rattlesnake country, has a short-barreled scattershot sidearm. Rattlesnakes are not protected. I cannot comment on whether this weapon is entirely legal.

Theres a gun thats illegal?!?

I dont know what a short-barreled scattershot sidearm is but to me ironically it sounds closer to the weapons that existed when the second amendment was drawn up than the military assault rifles that today are apparently essential for a well armed militia.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I dont know what a short-barreled scattershot sidearm is ...

I can't quote make and model - it was described to me. (I've not seen it.) From what I heard, if used, I don't imagine there would be much snake left.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It sounds very much like a sawn off shotgun to me.  I once met a Sherrif in Wyoming who kept such a weapon under his car seat. The barrell was only 9" long but the theory was that it would deal effectively  to anyone who got stroppy next to the car.  

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a quiet house in the Charente where the sun has come out.  We had some rain during the night and early morning.   Beth has departed for Niort and physio, her first solo trip.  I meanwhile have a loaded trailer to take to the tip and probably another load to take after that.   Various things got done yesterday despite the temperature getting up to 32.  I even managed two hours trainspotting as part of a successful shopping expedition whilst Beth went bowling.

Arrangements for my jaunt to the land of chocolate and cuckoo clocks are going well.  It look as as if ID may join Andy and I for one afternoon.  I set off on Sunday morning and spent a bit of time last night putting various addresses into the satnav for the French part of the trip.  The Swiss part will be rail based. 

As to modelling mojo, it comes and goes  and post Brexit problems with postage for parts does not help.  One company has a minimum order of 150 Euro's if the order is from within the EU.  As a result various small packages tend to accumulate at addresses in the UK.  Thus projects can get stalled till after the next visit.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 16