The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the skies are blue here in England’s northwest corner. So, I’m heading outside to finish of the shelf that I left clamped up in the workshop yesterday. Hopefully I should get it finished today and maybe even find time to drill the walls and mount the shelf brackets too. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Well the C's have increased to 18, I'm orf to the garage to fit new lights.  This may take some time as frankiefoot doesn't like standing on stepladder treads.  Can't use runged ladders at all.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's Tip of the Day:

In the event that any fellow ER'er should ever need a new CAT (of the brum brum variety, not the Meoow variety) then make sure you keep the old one - they're worth good money (sometimes VERY good) down the scrappies.

Any idea how much of this is parts?  Maybe Bear is old-fashioned, but £115/hour labour (if there are no parts in the bill) would seriously scare me.....

No there were new lights needed, as the old low voltage ones were both knackered and wrongly wired up - which is strange as the bathroom was professionally done five years ago. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. As I mentioned my brother called me last night. Among the usual brother chat he mentioned that he has a girlfriend! and less than three months after his wifes funeral. What is more his new girlfriend attended the funeral and wake. He always was a randy so-and-so but even I didn't think he'd move that fast. He's 75 years old and in poor health and if she's a gold digger she's in for a nasty shock. The bungalow that he shared with his late wife belongs to her family and apart from his pensions he hasn't got two pennies to rub together.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

BT must have been having a lie-in this morning, for at the ungodly hour when I usually post here my broadband was non-operational.  It now appears to be firing on the usual number of cylinders.

Today sees the monthly meeting of the Chilterns Area Group.  For the first time for absolutely ages those attending will be meeting in person instead of via Zoom.  Like all technology, Zoom has its moments.  Nevertheless it was good to be able to use it to keep in touch with other Group members.  Having lunch is that much more difficult when one is using software and a screen instead of wielding cutlery at a table.  I shall have to buy petrol on my way to Harpenden: so be it.   Now let us hope that the M1 behaves itself.

Chris

• Like 19

3 hours ago, polybear said:

That's not such a good way to get your ears lowered.  I bet what was left of them weren't half ringing.

• Agree 11

@Winslow Boy as ERs know, there is an official Rant Award on the thread: The Bearies.

However, because the likelihood of either iD or Captain Cynical winning A Beary is about the same as the UK winning the Eurovision Song Contest (probably less), both iD and CC refuse to enter any longer.

Why go to the effort of creating a high-quality bespoke rant from carefully sourced and sustainable ingredients, when North San Marino can win with a clearly re-badged and re-painted mass produced rant built from the cheapest materials…

I wonder how many LDC it takes to (ahem) “acquire” a block vote?

I’m not casting aspersions, just asking for a friend….

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Funny 12

23 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

Bear here....

Off to get the ears lowered shortly,....

There's dumb - and then there's this.....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/idiot-steals-rocket-from-battlefield-then-it-exploded-in-his-car-in-russia/ar-AAXopP5?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3c9dd033c5ae44b7b6b256031c7edf36

That's not such a good way to get your ears lowered.  I bet what was left of them weren't half ringing.

I did once see someone on eBay offering a cannister of railway detonators for sale and it seems that people are taking these things back home to mother Russia to sell.  This chap was a retired major which must suggest something about the level of training in the Russian military.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is very pleasant here, not sure of the temperature but all the windows are open. Our garden is going to need air traffic control soon. I refilled the bird feeders after a while of no use to distract a visiting rat. We think the rat has been discouraged permanently by neighbours. Anyway I must be getting a substantial part of my daily exercise refilling the bird feeders. Mainly for sparrows, but I really like sparrows. The blue tits nesting in the garden don’t seem to feed here but they are incredibly busy. I wonder if their complicated flight path is to confuse any magpies watching.

Tony

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago, before I joined it, the local military modelling club had a middle aged member from Hungary.  This was in the late '70s and he used to visit home regularly and go foraging on the 1945 battlefields for bits of miltary kit to bring back to UK and sell.  One evening he turned up at the club to show off his finds with a live Teller mine in the boot.  The club was then run by a serving RN officer and a reserve Army major who both realised it was still live.  They drove it down to the Southampton waterfront at an accessible point and chucked it in the drink late at night.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

Well I have finally managed to sit down with a mug of coffee the back door is open Rolo the dachshund is sunning himself on the decking.

I had Swmbo to take to an appointment then collect some meds we ended up buying a couple of sandwiches from Aldi and ate them in the park.

The park was full of students from the sixth form college. One poor lass was having a wardrobe malfunction as she was walking her little dress was riding up at the back showing her ar5e.

I must have one of those screwdriver sets from the Bunnings video thatstarts as a lot of bits then you end up with 1

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I know Bear is a tight-pawed, grumpy old ursine with deep pockets and short arms,

Ouch....

Bear prefers financially shrewd, wise - and who understands the value of the foldin' stuff...

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

......but has he ever considered that to get good and reliable quality service from a skilled technician (plumber, electrician, etc) they need to be paid a decent wage?

Fortunately @45156 has now clarified that the two hundred and fifty notes for two hours included some degree of parts as well - but let's assume it hadn't.....

Bear's Kitchen Floor was levelled (taking numerous shortish visits - it was a real B1tch) and then Tiled - taking numerous full days (not sure exactly how many - 3+?).

The Bill? £370 - which included levelling compound and tile adhesive (both not cheap).  Is Bear happy with the job?  Oh yes, a bargain; the old floor area under the Fridge Freezer was particularly wonky - and now the F/F stands vertical - as in dead vertical, to within 0.1 degrees (I used to have to use bits of plywood to make it stand upright).  Can't ask for much better than that.

Plastering?  The kitchen was £720 and the lounge £650 - including all materials (plaster - expensive, beading, PVA etc.) and each taking the best part of a week (working maybe 5 or 6 hour days); many plasterers would do it much quicker than this - but there would often be two on the job and they would be a long way off retiring, as "my Guy" was.  Bear happy?  On the whole - yes; some minor fettling required but nothing serious.

Hence my dismay at the prospect of a leccy charging £125 an hour.....

....especially when......

2 hours ago, 45156 said:

No there were new lights needed, as the old low voltage ones were both knackered and wrongly wired up - which is strange as the bathroom was professionally done five years ago. 

.....a previous "Professional" may have charged such a figure for that job.....

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

......and if she's a gold digger she's in for a nasty shock. The bungalow that he shared with his late wife belongs to her family and apart from his pensions he hasn't got two pennies to rub together.

It certainly didn't work for this lady:

https://news.amomama.com/289124-woman-marries-recluse-millionaire-25-yea.html

In other news:

Ears lowered - booked on-line, a few minute's walk to the Barber in the village, in at 9am and out at 0916am (Buzz Cut);  no messin' around.  Tick.

Mickey the Miele wielded - the Castle is now "done".  Big Tick.

General dross activities carried out - more to do.  They *may* even keep a certain Bear out of trouble.  Or not....

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

43 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

@Pacific231G

David, my layout is fully operational although the purists would probably give me never ending lectures about its non-likeness to a real railway.  I have in fact been out there this morning and played with the toys and believe it or not done some muddling.  That is, I have been attacking a sheet of polystyrene with an old bread knife to try and carve some semblance of a small embankment.  Having thought about it it would be shame if I didn't carry on doing something with it.

RED ALERT!  INCOMING!  FORBIDDEN PHOTOS.  LOOK AWAY NOW IF YOU DON'T WISH TO BE OFFENDED:

IMG_4493.JPG.acd80e83a08f2c7dc73156b1681ea9f9.JPGIMG_4497.JPG.012bc5c45ff6dfc8e2d44fae307a8024.JPGIMG_4494.JPG.b96fb012815965ee9c4466ac3916889d.JPGIMG_4498.JPG.797b3c945237eb0fdc4ec94c461db61c.JPG

Bloody Hell GDB,

Not only am I offended, I am disgusted as well. 😲

How the **** have you such a clean, tidy, neat and dust free modelling room? Do you have a dedicated cleaning lady?

Surely the natural, the only state of being of a model railway room is:

• untidy
  • messy
  • covered with dust
  • scattered with tools and half-built kits

Everyone knows that

This egregious untidymodelroom-shaming is most upsetting.

How dare you!

iD

p.s. all said in fun - most impressive it is! You've given me a well needed kick up the **** and reminded me that I have a signal box to finish...

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I only glanced at this and then did a double take to make certain I was reading it correctly as initially I thought it said - shuffle off. Thank the lord it didn't.

To tell the truth the way things are at work and the new premises ………….

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Interesting article for all dog lovering  ERs 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61494094

I met one this morning while taking a wander and it was audibly struggling. It's a warm day but not desperately so and the going was level(ish), a steam engine with a load on might have been working hard but no normal two or four legged beast in fair health would. They can be great little dogs, many I've met/known are/were full of charisma but yes, hand up, I worry about the breed's physical health too. 

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Interesting article for all dog lovering  ERs 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-61494094

I am (and have always have been) against the breeding of brachiocephalic dogs - how dare we impose so much suffering and ill health on an animal breed just for cosmetic reasons. Many dogs are bred for specific reasons, but when you breed a dog for a job (like a scent hound) you don't cripple it by breeding-in genetic deformity. Which is what they have done with pugs and similar breeds. By any yardstick, many of the so-called "animal lovers" in the Kennel Club and breeder's associations are anything but. Those who promote this type of dog should be named and shamed!

It's no different to breeding humans to be real-life Barbie Dolls or Action Men(and that's not allowed - so why allow it for dogs?)

I'd better stop here or I might post something I'll regret later...

• Like 4
  • Agree 10