The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

.  It's as much a part of the Aussie voting ritual as the Bunnings Sausage is to the weekend DIYers / weekday tradespeople. 

The dialogue  is very very Australian so keep away from the littlies or those who don't appreciate the more earthy words in our rich language.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

y emphasis. "Shouldn't" and "does" are two different things.

This can be said of many things.  I should like X car because....... should like black or gay people because........... I should read X book because.......... likewise sports, grand opera or politics.  I should like them all but what if I don't; am I to be shunned or demonised for my preferences by those who don't even know me?   Ones preferences are ones own business!

Incidentally, I have a preference for Y cars!🙂

Brian

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Then theres  voting on Saturday which gives greater chances for everyone to vote, and compulsory voting means that rather than spending time  working out how to deny people the ability to vote the government HAS to give everyone a chance to vote, polling booths are even flown into remote settlements. If the US had at least some of these, most of the current issues around elections would go away. 

Several States (including Oregon) are 100% vote by mail. This is far superior to having to go to the church hall on a Tuesday or even down to the Primary school circus on a Saturday morning.

It is very secure (despite what certain conspiracy theories might say). There is a full paper trail if recounts are necessary. Ballots/signatures are checked by representatives from each of the two major parties who work in pairs before ballots are fed into counting machines.

There can be some minor issues. A USPS mail collection box was stolen* in Portland recently. It did contain ballots. People who sign up for online ballot tracking get a notification when their ballot is received. Those people affected will get a chance to vote by the end of the day today.

* Using the same kind of high speed disc cutters so popular with people who steal catalytic converters.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

... primaries ... now seem as important as the actual election, and  I know its all part of the philosophy of letting the people decide candidates rather than the party machine but got to say it seems weird having a vote  to decide the person that you get to vote for at the actual elections.

Conceptually it takes candidate selection out of the in-party backstabbing, smoke-filled party caucus room and makes it transparent.  Unfortunately the law of unintended consequences puts the in-party backstabbing on television.

Different states have different primary rules. Oregon has "closed" primaries. Only people registered as a party member can vote in a primary election and can only vote for their party candidates. People registered as independents cannot vote in a primary, though they can vote for other non-primary things on the ballot - like local referenda.

Other states have "open" primaries. Some (like Iowa*) have in-person caucuses.

* To nominate a presidential candidate.

• Informative/Useful 10

17 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Several States (including Oregon) are 100% vote by mail. This is far superior to having to go to the church hall on a Tuesday or even down to the Primary school circus on a Saturday morning.

Thats what the two weeks pre-polling is to help avoid though you dont get the extras and you still have to put up with teh wall to wall election covereage and political announcements.

This was my favourite bit from the  last election "who was that love?" "Bloody prime minister was standing on the new grass!" 

• Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I dread the election season in America!  We live in a small cul de sac of six houses typically American, and while we know everyone well we have no intimation of their politics.  One is a cop, another likes guns, three off us are retired and the other is ex Army. We have an idea that most are Right of centre politically and we can't vote or own guns even if we wanted to.  We all get along well though!

Brian

Edited by brianusa
  • Friendly/supportive 15

2 hours ago, brianusa said:

... we can't vote or own guns even if we wanted to

US residents (including non-citizens) may legally own firearms:

An alien legally in the U.S. is not prohibited from purchasing firearms unless the alien is admitted into the U.S. under a nonimmigrant visa and does not meet one of the exceptions as provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as possession of a valid hunting license or permit.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (d)(5), (g)(5) and (y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32(a)(5) ]

Meaning, you can even purchase firearms as a visitor to the US if you have a hunting license.

In the State of Washington:

RCW 9.41.171

Alien possession of firearms—Requirements—Penalty.

It is a class C felony for any person who is not a citizen of the United States to carry or possess any firearm, unless the person: (1) Is a lawful permanent resident; (2) has obtained a valid alien firearm license pursuant to RCW 9.41.173; or (3) meets the requirements of RCW 9.41.175.

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Once more onto the field my friends..Once more! Yep a day of umpiring the Leeds/Bradford MCCU women v Loughborough women beckons. Wonder who will turn out for luggerburooger?

Rain overnight but its now sunny. Great! (Must take my sun tan lotion today.)

We are lucky that we are not visited by politicos on our side of the road during elections.. they must be afraid of the bombast awaiting them.

Once our passports return we can book our next walkabout trip. Plans have been made .. prices have been noted..ouch!

Time to ..finish my tea then wield the shark before cricket.

Have a great day.. Carpe Diem!

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

But that'll mean no Sossie Snagger......🙁

Bear here....

Off to get the ears lowered shortly, then a day of MIUABGA - to include some some minor wielding of Mickey the Miele (then it'll all be finished 😁) followed by general "stuff"

Bear's News of the Day....

Perhaps yer average Ruskie might start waking up to what's really going on - don't fancy this guy's chances much though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61484222

Some of us are (or would like to be) playing choo choos - at 64 this guy is doing this, and all in a 1/4 mile too:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/larry-spiderman-mcbride-sets-record-breaking-268-mile-per-hour-pass/ar-AAXlD6D?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3c9dd033c5ae44b7b6b256031c7edf36

Time to tune up the AJ, Puppers....

There's dumb - and then there's this.....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/idiot-steals-rocket-from-battlefield-then-it-exploded-in-his-car-in-russia/ar-AAXopP5?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3c9dd033c5ae44b7b6b256031c7edf36

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Kelly said:

Speaking of poppy...20220514_144043.jpg.64efeaa0701ad6655c1d08dfd83fc5a0.jpg

she is my almost constant companion most days and nights. Most probably because of the bed. 

Glad to hear about your improvements, Kelly.

I think that Poppy has the most amazing facial markings - they really make her look like she’s in a permanently bad mood, though I’m sure - should I ever meet her - she’ll be the sweetie you so often praise her for being.

I have no idea why, but I seem to have a good rapport with all kinds of dogs. A few times I’ve met dogs and gave them a bit of a fuss and a treat (after asking if giving a treat is OK, of course) only for the owner to exclaim “he/she never does that with strangers” (and - sadly - sometimes adds “especially with men”). I guess I’m just a big softy when it comes to dogs and they sense that…

12 hours ago, polybear said:

Any idea how much of this is parts?  Maybe Bear is old-fashioned, but £115/hour labour (if there are no parts in the bill) would seriously scare me.....

I know Bear is a tightpawed, grumpy old ursine with deep pockets and short arms, but has he ever considered that to get good and reliable quality service from a skilled technician (plumber, electrician, etc) they need to be paid a decent wage?

Too often there are posts on ER about poor quality, shoddy workmanship, bad attitudes towards customers…

Has anyone considered that you do get what you pay for? And quite frankly at some of the (laughable) wages & salaries being offered in the UK, it’s no wonder that shoddy work and poor customer service is so common.

There’s a website that compares salaries for different jobs across Europe and just crossing the channel brings an increase in income. And whilst the cost of living can be higher, for most jobs you still have a better income - even taking cost of living into account…

10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

…if the US put aside its "we do everything the best because we are the US" attitude and looked at some other systems they could do worse then follow some of  Austtralias voting setup….

And not just voting. On far too many criteria the US has slipped down the ranking tables since I lived there: infant mortality, public transport/infrastructure, working conditions, etc. everything has worsened. Amongst the few tables that find the US with high - if not top - ranking include the number of people per thousand incarcerated, the number of individuals killed by police per year or the number of firearms/head.

Americans are no different than the rest of us (although when Americans do “stoopid” they really do “stoopid”) but they are poorly served by venal politicians and insitutions who benefit from promoting American Exceptionalism - something that has now become a drawback for the country as a whole. To create a metaphor: America is like the blue tribe who stills eats their meat raw because although the green tribe in the next valley discovered fire and invented cooking, “everyone” knows that no-one does anything better than the blue tribe.

There are a number of YouTube videos by young Americans who are shocked to find what life is really like outside the US (much, much better than expected). One of the most thought provoking was by a young American married to a Chinese who compares the Metro system of a small Chinese city to New York

I’ve known (and loved!) a number of Americans and individually they can be generous, wonderful, public spirited people - but by God are they traduced by their politicians, business and religious “leaders”

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Si Attica really had a go last night, I didn't get to sleep until about four. He is still hanging about so a bit more eyelid inspection this morning.

• Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Morning All and a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Rick.

Anyway better get a shuffle on.

Robert 

I only glanced at this and then did a double take to make certain I was reading it correctly as initially I thought it said - shuffle off. Thank the lord it didn't.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Glad to hear about your improvements, Kelly.

I think that Poppy has the most amazing facial markings - they really make her look like she’s in a permanently bad mood, though I’m sure - should I ever meet her - she’ll be the sweetie you so often praise her for being.

I have no idea why, but I seem to have a good rapport with all kinds of dogs. A few times I’ve met dogs and gave them a bit of a fuss and a treat (after asking if giving a treat is OK, of course) only for the owner to exclaim “he/she never does that with strangers” (and - sadly - sometimes adds “especially with men”). I guess I’m just a big softy when it comes to dogs and they sense that…

I know Bear is a tightpawed, grumpy old ursine with deep pockets and short arms, but has he ever considered that to get good and reliable quality service from a skilled technician (plumber, electrician, etc) they need to be paid a decent wage?

Too often there are posts on ER about poor quality, shoddy workmanship, bad attitudes towards customers…

Has anyone considered that you do get what you pay for? And quite frankly at some of the (laughable) wages & salaries being offered in the UK, it’s no wonder that shoddy work and poor customer service is so common.

There’s a website that compares salaries for different jobs across Europe and just crossing the channel brings an increase in income. And whilst the cost of living can be higher, for most jobs you still have a better income - even taking cost of living into account…

And not just voting. On far too many criteria the US has slipped down the ranking tables since I lived there: infant mortality, public transport/infrastructure, working conditions, etc. everything has worsened. Amongst the few tables that find the US with high - if not top - ranking include the number of people per thousand incarcerated, the number of individuals killed by police per year or the number of firearms/head.

Americans are no different than the rest of us (although when Americans do “stoopid” they really do “stoopid”) but they are poorly served by venal politicians and insitutions who benefit from promoting American Exceptionalism - something that has now become a drawback for the country as a whole. To create a metaphor: America is like the blue tribe who stills eats their meat raw because although the green tribe in the next valley discovered fire and invented cooking, “everyone” knows that no-one does anything better than the blue tribe.

There are a number of YouTube videos by young Americans who are shocked to find what life is really like outside the US (much, much better than expected). One of the most thought provoking was by a young American married to a Chinese who compares the Metro system of a small Chinese city to New York

I’ve known (and loved!) a number of Americans and individually they can be generous, wonderful, public spirited people - but by God are they traduced by their politicians, business and religious “leaders”

I think this would be classed as a rant Herr Dokter.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2