The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

The UK medics normally give 120/80 as a target - one I hit....sometimes.

That’s what I was taught, many many decades ago.

Nowadays the guidance is that pre-hypertension starts at 120/80. I’m not sure where this came from (probably from one of the huge American medical collaborative [research] groups). Anyway, the lower the better - ditto for resting heart rate (and whilst Tachycardia [very high resting heart rate] is Not Good neither is the opposite Bradycardia - although highly trained and very fit athletes can have very low resting heart rates)

Back to Blood Pressure: you shouldn’t have too low a Blood Pressure either - you need to have a minimum amount of pressure in  the system - otherwise you have hypotension - one aspect of which is that organs don’t get adequately perfused - so can begin to fail.

p.s. As a FYI - it’s an urban myth that Bradycardia was so named after Diamond Jim Brady - the American Financier and Philanthropist who, apparently, had a very low heart rate when playing high stakes card games! Brady comes from the ancient Greek

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Firstly.....

HappBirthda

Gwiwer!🎂

Bear here.....

Let's see now...what's on the fun agenda for today?  Ah yes, washing 🙁, wielding Mickey 🙁, visiting the Co-op 😐....including stocking up on cake 😃, plus other assorted general dross tasks as yet undefined.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 14
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Woke up a couple of hours ago and couldn't get back to sleep so here I am. My BP has always been high but it turned out to be white coat syndrome. Now time to run a bath, be back later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Some sunshine and blue sky along with the clouds here.  A fine dry and warm day is forecast with the chance of some thundery showers this evening.  Currently 14°C possibly rising to 24°C. 

Discussions due to decide on today's events.  Walk, supermarket, garden centre* or all three?

I'll wait until later before checking BP!   🤔 (It's normally about right controlled by meds)

Have a good one,

Bob.

* The plant I sprayed with something is looking very sick and may need replacing. 🤪

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ah yes Herr Dokter and you are certain this isn't your stethoscope even though it has your fingerprints on it?

Now I know that you’re just an underpaid overworked copper doing his job, but there are political and security aspects to this case that I am sure my lawyer - Dr Professor Sir Percival Grabbit-Runne LLD, QC, Law Lord will explain to you in great detail. As will your Superintendent, Chief Superintendent, your Assistant Chief Constable, the Deputy Chief Constable, the  Chief Constable, the Commissioner and the Home Secretary. All of whom will explain things in great - career limiting - detail. And all of whom are great personal friends of mine.

Would you care to explain to the Chief Constable why I won’t be able to host his birthday dinner at The Ivy tonight…

p.s. don’t get Special Branch upset by detaining me, they are not very nice people when upset…

• Funny 12

2 hours ago, chrisf said:

It is so rare for professional footballers to come out as gay that Blackpool’s 17 year old Jake Daniels has hit the headlines.  As someone who did not come out himself until the age of 70 I congratulate him for his courage and honesty. 

But why does anyone need to “come out” at all?

You are what you are and there’s a whole normal spectrum of how people are attracted to each other and where you are on that spectrum should be of no concern to anyone except the involved parties in their relationships.

Quite frankly, there are more important character aspects to individuals than whether or not they are attracted to Steve or Susan or both.

• Like 3
  • Agree 16

• RMweb Premium

I'm certainly heading for the old wreck as I approach 65 later this year.. Various joints are aching as I sit here..

Mooring Awl,

4 hours sleep, some time trying to find a comfortable position, 2 hours sleep.. Feel very tired.

Ben the I'll think about it Collie, did eventually choose to go on patrol, and then was very happy about it, bounding around everywhere...

Our bluebell crop is disappointing this year, not many but more scattered around.

Saw my first car plugged into a private wall , it's one of the local vets, new Socket on the front wall which looks darn ugly on a 150+year old house. Since her practice is just 4 miles away, then I suspect she is a perfect candidate for an electric car..

Here's a thought, new car sales for petrol cars are banned from 2030, I wonder if we are going to get an outbreak of second hand ICE cars "delivery mileage only".

Junior managed to measure just 4 shunts in his 7.5 hours on Friday, and that was just the small ones with not much warm up time. He's now on his 7th day of that major system, what I do in 2, at most ever 3 days...(unless there's failures).

Onto resistance for me ten sets of measurement, that will take the next 2.5 hours.. him? 

Time to get on with it..

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

50 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Now I know that you’re just an underpaid overworked copper doing his job, but there are political and security aspects to this case that I am sure my lawyer - Dr Professor Sir Percival Grabbit-Runne LLD, QC, Law Lord will explain to you in great detail. As will your Superintendent, Chief Superintendent, your Assistant Chief Constable, the Deputy Chief Constable, the  Chief Constable, the Commissioner and the Home Secretary. All of whom will explain things in great - career limiting - detail. And all of whom are great personal friends of mine.

Would you care to explain to the Chief Constable why I won’t be able to host his birthday dinner at The Ivy tonight…

p.s. don’t get Special Branch upset by detaining me, they are not very nice people when upset…

Ian doing his best to put on a Herr Flick accent - we will ask the questions you swine. Wear is the Madonna with the big boobies.

Sorry couldn't resist the last part.

• Funny 15

54 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

British Media does turning 65 mean an overnight transformation from a suave, debonair, silver-haired, sophisticated “babe-magnet” (as you were) to an edentulous, drooling, doddering, slightly-pongy, senile old wreck

That happened to me, but at an earlier age

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather looks friendly enough for me to attempt the sanding of the final shelf, although there is a slight breeze, hopefully the shelter of the shed and works will help there. After that task is complete, I shall drill and mount the brackets for the shelves to see how they fit, as I know one needs a small notch cutting in it so it will sit over a gas pipe. 

Rick. Happy birthday 

Back later 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear is realising more and more just what a loss - and what a bunch of T0ssers the previous site hosts(?)** are - because of the loss of the thousands of photos that illustrated so many threads on this site.  Here's hoping AndyY can fix it - there's a LDC with his name on it if he can......

In other news.....

Anyone know the normal B.P. for a Bear?  This was the score yesterday:

1017160060_IMG_24961.JPG.f09462651588f08d04034951e3b2b271.JPG

Is that good or bad?

If my BP was as low as that I would be fainting,my diastolic is normally around 75

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

It is so rare for professional footballers to come out as gay that Blackpool’s 17 year old Jake Daniels has hit the headlines.  As someone who did not come out himself until the age of 70 I congratulate him for his courage and honesty.  He is the first UK professional footballer to come out for 30 years.  In that time public attitudes have become more accommodating.  It is reassuring to learn that Jake’s team-mates are supportive given the stigma that can attach to gay men in sport.  Something tells me that a good few other footballers are still keeping their big secret.  We may not have to wait very long for the next announcement.

On the subject of confidence I thank Polly for the kind and thoughtful words.

Chris

Ian Roberts,  who played in the National Rugby League comp here came out in the mid-90's, he's  still around as a commentator and actor. 

His story is pretty poignant, growing up gay while AIDS was still a major thing, he was also illiterate until he went to acting classes post Rugby league career. He's had his share of tragedy but it seems to have  worked out,  so good on him.

That said, be ing in Attack Of The Clones isn't necessarily something you want people to know about, was probably more worried about people finding that out than the gay thing.

https://foxsports.com.au/nrl/ian-roberts-opens-up-on-being-an-openly-gay-man-in-the-nrl-the-tragedy-that-inspired-him-to-come-out/news-story/7a2f03f5232fd2d00ffef7a4cb537842

• Like 13