The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, as nature seems to be a bit of a topic this morning, found this chap sitting on some power cables yesterday. post-4282-0-58641500-1315287377.jpg

Even though he has got chewed wings, still managed to fly away. (I guess it was the voltage tingle that rejuvenated him?)

Have a good un all,

Trev

Morning all...Golf with Geoff (GMR) and Eldavo was cancelled at the 11th hour and probably just as well as it's wet and windy down here. The tree fellas are back this morning, but this time it will be waterproofs rather than shorts/T shirts.

I've got several Bachmann B1's Don as they were a standard workhorse out of Kings Cross in the 50's/60's. Of course they have the old split chassis and whilst they run OK, I quite fancied tackling something new and putting a chassis together as a learning task before possibly having a go at a full brass loco kit. It's been sitting on my desk for months, so thought I would give it a go last week. So far so good as long as you just take your time and check things before soldering. My biggest weakness is that I get bored reading pages of instructions so find myself wandering off piste after page 1. Dangerous I know, but rule books and the like leave me cold.

Of course just as soon as I purchase a brass chassis Hornby announce a new B1, so this may be the first and last B1 chassis that gets built in this house. Actually I'm not sure I mean that as the enjoyment of making something far outweighs the pleasure of opening a RTR box. However, the other side of the coin tells me that hand built stuff often requires a lot of fettling to get really good running and something that runs poorly is a total no no for me, no matter how nice it looks.

Shocking, eh?! ;)

Morning all. I'm on (mostly) a week's leave though I'm going to have to go into the office for a day on Thursday as people continue to set daft deadlines for things...

Yesterday involved a trip to the office for a swim, then a gentle 6 mile walk.

Today will involve indoor rock climbing, swimming and a cookery class for Jamie's food.

This being my week off the only day I have fully to myself with nothing planned now is Sunday!

Thankfully I think that means I'll get to see the F1 live for a change. :)

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, The full set of oktas are most certainly leaking. Just as well Gordon didn't venture down to this neck of the woods or my golf clubs would have ended up as rusty as my game!

SWMBO has gone to work and sundry children have gone off in a huff after having been "spoken" to regarding coming in at late hours and waking others of us up. Seems the dog and I have the house to ourselves! Tough life.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Morning.

Back to School day here. My Daughter starts High School (and I start getting jumpy at the thought of boyfriends, I'm planning to be the psychotic dad, this is hard for me as amazingly I'm thought of by her friends as cool - despite her telling them that I'm really not. The problem is that I own more guitars than her kid friends and even her best friend's father is a member of the band "Hot Tuna").

First rain today since "Irene" and the Passaic up to the north has only just now got down below flood stage - here it is different due to the fast draining soil (my Wife has already had to water her vegetable plot, her vegetables - mostly Italian - are sandwiched between "my" "lawn" and the wooded area we own at the bottom of our garden).

Sorry to drone on.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very wet and windy here and also much cooler. I won't be playing golf, the nearest I get to that game is when Robbie finds a golf ball in the park.

Pete, I hope you survive your daughter's day at school. I was talking to one of Aditi's younger cousins on Saturday. She has just started secondary school and seemed very enthusiastic about everything!

Guest Max Stafford

It seems to me that these days the seasons and their attendant weather patterns appear to be running about a month ahead of what they've been doing for a long period.

Dave.

Maybe we should have an 11 month year?

Talking of golf, I think the funniest golf joke I've heard was told during the tribute to Seve recently. "If you're ever caught out on a golf course in a thunderstorm, hold up a 1 iron, because even God couldn't hit a 1 iron!"

I dunno, Dave - sometimes I think that but yesterday was a very uncomfortable 90f, yet cloudy.

The thing about our weather here is that you KNOW it will be hot in Summer and it WILL snow in winter. I never knew what was going on in the UK............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering whether the sniffle I seem to have picked up may have to do with my current internship. After all, with so many kids around, there will most likely be quite a few affected by colds and other respiratory tract infections at any time. In any case, this means I am currently spending my evenings with catching as much rest as I can, and drinking lots of tea and water.

• RMweb Gold

Believe you me Dominic, you will catch every cold going...... and just when you build up some resistance a new strain will come along and get you.

I'm expecting my first of the new year any time now.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

Believe you me Dominic, you will catch every cold going...... and just when you build up some resistance a new strain will come along and get you.

I'm expecting my first of the new year any time now.

I think staff-rooms in schools must be one of the most hazardous places to enter in winter. In the olden days breaktime in the staffroom was hazardous, if the latest virus "going round" didn't get you, you could get kippered by the smog from the nicotine addicts, the coffee machine probably generated WMD notifiable bio-hazards and worst of all the emergency lesson cover list! Like most science teachers I preferred the relative safety of the laboratory prep room!

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I visit at least three different staff rooms each day over the years immunity has built up or the germs die in the cold on the way back to the car. Now my patch has been changed it looks like secondary school bugs this winter.

• RMweb Premium

That sure is some happy news, BoD! :lol:

Morning all - pitch dark outside and I'm having breakfast as I type. I went to bed early last night and thankfully slept fairly well. It's quite windy outside, though we're supposed to be back at 28° on Saturday.

See you in the afternoon or thereabouts...

Good morning all! Being one handed I use my mouth/teeth as a second hand and by ingesting very possible germ that way built up a resistance to germs so that from my twenties onwards I could boast the "I never get sick".. :no:

As regards germy illnes this remains true, but I am not immune to "geriatric" type infirmities :drag: