The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

No Pete, although there have been two shark attacks to my knowledge (over 50 years) the water is too cold for sharks.

Gordon, i have the distinct feeling that the crime situation has improved considerably.

It's a long time since I have heard any scare stories, and Pinelands having a sort of village culture where everybody knows just about everybody, stories soon spread.

Breakfast was excellent, on the first floor overlooking the beach and CHEAP!

Two fried eggs (small) two fairly large rashers of bacon, two slices of toast, half a fried tomato, chips, coffee, butter and jams all for R20.00 (approx less than 2.00 BPS)

It remained overcast but temperate.

Left home at 8:15, got back at 12::00 Noon having visited Green Point park, developed for the Scccer World cup, in the prescincts of the Soccer stadium.. A very pleasant morning. Am now enjoying a pre-prandial glass of brandy, but will only have a very light lunch.

• RMweb Gold

As promised I'm going to bore you with an account of yesterday's goings on. To recap it was Families' Day at the Army Air Corps training base at Middle Wallop in Hampshire where my son in law is training to be a helicopter pilot.

There are no two ways about it, when the armed forces put on a day like this for their own they really do put on a day - kids (of all ages) especially were brilliantly catered for, everything from a fairground to candy floss, sounding the siren on the foam fire fighting vehicles, sitting in an Apache, flying in a helicopter to playing with rifles and machine guns (!)

The ground display was excellent, not only were the modern types on display (Yep, I got to sit in an Apache too) but all of the Army historic flight (which is based there) was dragged out. None of this 'please don't touch' either - apart from the Apache most were unattended, you could sit in what you wanted and waggle everything.

Everybody on the base was on duty, they worked tirelessly to make sure the day went well - none more so than the flight crews who were giving flights pretty much non stop from 10am to 4pm.

Aircraft available for flights were two Squirrels, a Lynx, a Sea King, a Merlin and a Chinook.

I was lucky enough to get up in a Chinook - those things are awesome. the pilot wasn't reticent about showing off his flying skills either, it was the best fairground ride I've ever been on. As soon as we took off they let the ramp down so there was a cracking view of the Hampshire countryside - forgot to take my camera up though :(

Only slight disappointment was that there wasn't an Apache flying display - my daughter had told me that she had seen one practising display manoeuvres last week but it wasn't to be on the day.

Anyway some photos from the day:

Apache - it even looks scary on the ground.

post-6683-0-19193300-1315133204_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-14514800-1315133224_thumb.jpg

Lynx

post-6683-0-78431500-1315133279_thumb.jpg

Mk7 and the new upgraded Mk9 Lynx

post-6683-0-51365500-1315133767_thumb.jpg

'My' Chinook

post-6683-0-00450600-1315133329_thumb.jpg

Merlin - it's a beast

post-6683-0-42750200-1315133362_thumb.jpg

Sea King

post-6683-0-26110100-1315133414_thumb.jpg

Forgot to add there was a mock WW1 dogfight with 5 aircraft

post-6683-0-41265700-1315133556_thumb.jpg

post-6683-0-53618000-1315133578_thumb.jpg

Lynx passing Merlin

post-6683-0-01561600-1315133637_thumb.jpg

There was a display from the Lynx, helicopter flying at its finest. Difficult to take good photos of the display but I thought I'd post this one - yes the photo is up the right way...

post-6683-0-84949500-1315134323_thumb.jpg

Last, and very much least, FatboyTopGunwannabee...

post-6683-0-87639100-1315133685_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Well what an eventful weekend I'm having - possibly some of the oddest highs and lows in my several decades.

Friday - well what can one say - absolute nightmare - we promised not to get attached to this dog - she was, after all, just with us to be looked after - NOT.

Saturday, up at 05.30, and my last remark to 30747 was - I'd rather go behind a Black 5 than Scots Guardsman - well, as we now know, 46115 has not been mended in time, and when I got to Carnforth, there was 44932 sitting on the headshunt waiting to draw onto the platform. It doesn't get much better than sitting in a first class Mk1 (facing window seat) two behind the loco, with 12 (I think) on, travelling a normally freight only line with the Black 5 thrashing away at the front, a bacon roll in my hand, and a cup of decent coffee in the other - well it was as good as I was getting - and a right time run all the way both ways stretched a Class 5 loco working a Class 7 load and timings - and doing it - well I always said the hikers were good machines and this proved it. I do think that the loco's maximum speed was being challenged, as some of the lads with GPS were reporting speeds a tad in excess of that. Then at Shrewsbury, I went forward to thank the driver for a run well done, and was confronted by a friend who had managed to (officially I hasten to add) arrange a footplate trip from Crewe - and back, then up to the club car where his wife was waiting as the waiters served them fillet steak with all the trimmings - mine was a grand day out - his was a day out of a lifetime, I suspect.

Then today, I heard that our dog's litter sister, the only other bitch in the litter, died on the same day, and within an hour of my girl - most strange. And now, waiting for the builder, as the garage door has collapsed. Luckily he's a one man operator, and is at home with a couple of hours free, so hopefully I won't need to start shifting all the stuff in the garage to a more secure location.

I'll get fully back to speed with y'all over the next week.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

And now, waiting for the builder, as the garage door has collapsed. Luckily he's a one man operator, and is at home with a couple of hours free, so hopefully I won't need to start shifting all the stuff in the garage to a more secure location.

Well he's been and gone, the door's fixed but still needs some minor fettling, but it no longer tears your arm out if its socket when you open it as he's also adjusted the spring - in itslef a blessing - forty quid isn't too bad for a Sunday callout and a two hour response - good builders like that are hard to find....

• RMweb Premium

Evening all...

No news from Grandpa, so I assume things haven't got worse at least. In any case, I am glad I calmed down somewhat and was also able to continue with one of my papers, and collect some ideas for the practice lesson next week. I'll be trying to put another one on my schedule as well as we're supposed to do a total of eight, and I don't want to cram all of them in towards the end.

It's been raining for most of tonight, and quite heavily at times. I wonder if that'll have been the last bit of this summer...

Glad to hear you had a great day out Stewart. A Black 5 and bacon rolls. Absolute heaven...

Your day MrH sound brilliant as well. Never been in a helicopter before, so I guess I'd be a little nervous as what to expect. I have this vision of lots of noise and vibration, but I'm probably way off tack.

Had a very pleasant lunch with the future in laws. A great couple who enjoyed a glass of wine and had a good sense of humour.

They invited us down to Cardiff, so I guess we passed scrutiny also... :D

First meeting so chose a neutral venue. The Barnworth Arms just north of Cirencester. Reasonable food and good beer, so worth a try.

Guest Max Stafford

Gordon, I expect that riding in a military helicopter is a bit like travelling on Virgin Trains but with a better view! ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Still almost completely dark outside, which I guess is a sure sign we're on the road to autumn. I'll be getting freshened up soon as I was planning to be at school shortly after seven in order to check up on a few things before class.

Wishing you all a good day, far as this is, in fact, possible on a Monday...!

Good morning all.

A clear day promised, 12 to 16C.

Pete, I wasn't clear on Sunday. Camps Bay is on the Atlantic side of the Peninsula, washed by the cold Benguela current.

Just a few miles on the other side of the Peninsula on the Indian Ocean side warmed by the Mozambique current the Great Whites abound!

Morning All,

It is a rather grey and gloomy morning here. It also seemed very dark when I left for work. As Dominik said, a sure sign the mornings are drawing in again.

I've got rather a busy day ahead of me today.

Have a good one everybody...

Pete, I wasn't clear on Sunday. Camps Bay is on the Atlantic side of the Peninsula, washed by the cold Benguela current.

Just a few miles on the other side of the Peninsula on the Indian Ocean side warmed by the Mozambique current the Great Whites abound!

Don,

It makes a great deal of difference doesn't it? Beautiful part of the World.........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, heigh ho its off to work I go! Well at least until the latest government spending c0ck up brings my job to an end. We appear to have a minister for education who didn't do sums at school and can't be bothered now.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It looks like a really nice day here. I didn't do much yesterday but I did cut the grass before taking Robbie for a walk on the Benfleet Downs. It did rain heavily while we were out but it wasn't cold!

I don't really have anything planned for today.

Tony

Morning all.. :)

Tree man and his team of three have just arrived to lop a few feet off the top of the trees down the side of the house, complete with one motorised chipper that looks like it would take your arm off without the slightest problem. We've used the guys before and they are sypathetic to trees rather than just hacking off in a straight line irrespective of future growth. A least it will let a bit more light in....

Weather is bright and dry although tomorrow looks like it could be real wet one.

Guest Max Stafford

Morning chaps. It's sunny here at the moment although there are plenty of clouds knocking about too. Met office predicts afternoon showers and a little more rain this evening.

Might have another "Waverley Walk" this afternoon, but now it's time for breakfast and doggiewalks!

Well they were doing a great job until they discovered a very active wasp nest in the ground. I always thought they were the spherical things you saw in lofts and had no idea they could be in the ground. The noise of trimmers and chainsaws was driving the wasps crazy and they started to be agressive so work has been abandoned until the golf club can deal with it.

Even the best laid plans...

Oh well, back to the B1 chassis.