The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

We’ve been having issues with the discharge of SWMBO’s car battery over the last few months and wondered if it was due to the glove box light staying on when the box was closed. We used a mobile phone camera to check. The light did go out so not the cause of the battery issue. In the end a new battery was purchased, £160, ouch, but it’s a ‘stop/start’ battery.

Buddy ex-next door had problems with a car battery keep going flat.  Eventually it was traced to the Bluetooth discharging the battery somehow.  Once that was disabled everything was fine.  Never had all these hocus-pocus problems thirty years ago.....

Bear here,

Right, Bear is now ready to start danglin' bits of wallpaper tomorrow - let the fun commence.....

Apart from that, notalot; a space film (Ad Astra) watched finished watching via the Fire Stick - Beary verdict?  Don't bother - it was one of those where you stick with it then at the end think "Well, that was cr@p.....".  Oh well.

And finally....

image.png.f5e34fde78783c8895e821818df08892.png

image.png.0e45445e82864480ef192449904d2230.png

image.png.54639c6074e3c639813a4dd326a68c36.png

image.png.858521ef741f3be9a6d5790b1c6339e0.png

image.png.e5ebc1a8ee72aae7786f36bca6a5af6b.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Looks as though I've lost my Gold status, getting dammed cheesed off for getting "This day in ...... " adverts taking up a third of the right-hand side of the screen.

Funny the system has kept my little picture thing in top left hand corner but lost my gold status......

Keith

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Looks as though I've lost my Gold status, getting dammed cheesed off for getting "This day in ...... " adverts taking up a third of the right-hand side of the screen.

Funny the system has kept my little picture thing in top left hand corner but lost my gold status......

Keith

If you follow the link to AY's comments on the outage and data loss, several people have reported loss of gold status there, I guess it will probably get restored in the next few days but read that (long) thread for more details.

ĸen

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Evening All,

Not been around much lately as I’ve had a lot on. Started back at work a fortnight ago and so been busy with that as well as doing the bookwork and managing the move to new premises. I’ll be glad when this is all over. Anyway an early night is in order as I have a truss to fit on my way into work tomorrow so will have to be up early.

Goodnight

Robert 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

3:00pm on a Sunday afternoon - the "long dark teatime of the soul" time.

Miami Open tennis is long finished.

The forecast rain is yet to arrive and skies continue to be grey but glary.

The home (English football) team is two goals and a man down at half-time.

Not much to report really.

EDIT - followed by a yellow card at 47 minutes.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I didn’t get the time to log in this morning as I overslept. So, once up, dressed and fed I went straight outside and installed a couple of sets of solar lights in the garden. Just as I was finishing off, it started to rain, so I decamped to the workshop and did a bit more work on the turntable, I’d only just got my tools to hand when the rain stopped, but at decided to carry on in the workshop instead. I’ve started to add a few small detailing bits and pieces. I started painting and weathering the buffer stop, glueing down a pile of old sleepers and glazing a small cabin that will sit close to the turntable. This can then be permanently fixed in place once the glazing has dried. 

After dinner, carried on in the workshop for an hour or so, but after I’d packed up and before heading inside I watered all the seedlings and the few potted plants. Over the past few weeks the garden has really started to come to life, lots of new growth about, but unfortunately it looks as though our rhubarb plant hasn’t survived, ho hum. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

…It was an archery day, Mrs NHN won.  Everyone had a good round so things were quite tight, and all decided on the last target.  Pal Steve though, managed to do this....poor tree.  It is a very tight shot through some close trees, so its not unusual to hit a tree, less usual to get so far through one!  These are powerful weapons.

I think that with the advent of the rifle, pistols and revolvers people have forgotten how powerful and deadly a longbow can be. The French certainly found out at Crécy and Agincourt (at Crécy, according to modern research, a longbow could send an arrow through the plate armour of the time at 225 meters).

I wonder how a kevlar vest (or any other modern body armour) would fare against a longbow?

Correct me if I’m wrong @New Haven Neil, but aren’t bows to all intents and purposes silent as well?

• Like 6
  • Agree 12

Morning All,

Thought I would put in an appearance after the outage!

There isn't a lot to report.  Spring seems to have disappeared for the moment and Winter has returned.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good Morning All,

Another Monday rolls around and today promises to officially be Not A Fun Day at all: I have PT scheduled for my hip - which has been playing silly bu99ers over the past few days. So an entertaining and pain-filled morning awaits.

Work is very quiet, so I can take the day off (nothing to deliver until Thursday) and hunt for a hotel in Edinburgh. I’m off to Edinburgh in October and I’ve already booked my flights, but I still have to book a hotel - and the prices in Edinburgh are as high as in London (and that’s off-season, heaven knows what the prices are like during the Ednburgh Festival).

There’s one place which looks most intriguing - a hotel in a brew pub (with loads of freebies in each room), but at £254/night I may pass up on it. I may end up with a reliable Accor hotel (Novotel,  Mercure, Adagio) or perhaps try the Ibis Styles (also by Accor) and recycle the money saved into whisky.  I’ll have to find out whether or not the Accor hotels offer a “Full Scottish” for breakfast as opposed to a “Continental Breakfast”, the absence or presence of the opportunity to scoff soss, black pud, bacon, eggs, haggis and mushrooms to start the day may be the deciding factor

Any suggestions as to a decent place to stay will be welcomed.

Enjoy Monday

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

As a coda to the above: anyone had experience with Premier Inn (they have a self-service breakfast buffet 🤑)

iD

p.s. I wish we could have the old emojis back, the current collection isn’t inspiring

We can definitely  recommend  the Premier Inn.  Their breakfasts are good.  We will be having a couple of nights in one in May.

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I just want to know how there going to get it out that's all.

Never pick up unexploded ordinance...

I have no live rounds Misfires etc....

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a very cool Charente.  It did wonder if I would see some brass monkrys with missing piarts when I went to get the hens up.  Fortunately  the log burner has come back to life and I am nice and warm and enjoying a muggacoffee after my cereal.  The main event of the day will be taking Beth's car the The Danglies for it's annual service.  As it's 22 miles away I will take a book and a magazine for whilst I wait.  If the big yellow heater does appear I may head for the shed this afternoon.

Regards to all and hope to get some reports from Chris.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1