The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It is too early but there is a good reason for being up even more betimes than usual.  I am off to Ally Pally shortly.  Because there are buses but no trains today between Luton and Bedford I shall drive to Luton Airport Parkway and join the rail network there.  By the time I get to Londinium I will desire breakfast and the 'Spoons at St Pancras should be open.  Then I hit the Piccadilly Line to Wood Green and the W3 bus if the exhibition shuttle is not yet running.  Simples?  We shall see.

On the subject of Guinness, call me a heretic if you will but I don't really like it.  This is bound to present a problem when my much delayed visit to Dublin finally takes place [2023 maybe?] but if it is the custom to drink it there, so be it - when in Rome and all that.  I wonder what the local tipple is in Mallorca?  I will find out soon enough.

Chris

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Up at silly o'clock today, a reminder of when I used to have to go to work and then when I retired I had to transport The Boss to work.  Don't miss that at all.

Like Chris I will be venturing to Ally Pally  via rail and will also get on the W3 bus but at Finsbury Park as I wish to avoid the Tube.  Hoping to see Chris and others there later for a pint or two.

Probably won't get home in time to see Ireland v Scotland but will watch France v England and see how badly we can do this time.  France are possibly the best team in the world at the moment so I'm not expecting a pleasant experience watching it.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

4 hours sleep, medium awake, 2 hours sleep, the second would have been longer, but Ben the I want out Collie appeared.

It's cool out there clear skies, but a stiff easterly breeze, the great fried egg had already arisen by 06:00.

Left knee only slightly better than last night.

Our main local paper, which I stopped getting when they got rid of most of their journalists, had a long piece online, about an "influencer" who moved from MK to Norfolk , and how wonderful it was..

It didn't take long to realise the piece had been put in by the "Influencer" and was what would be a full page advert for themselves disguised as journalism.

Plans for today,

Put the tow ball back on the back of the Landrover, but at the correct height for the boat trailer.

Grease trailer hubs and check wheel nuts.

Find the problem with the trailer brake light at the socket.

Finish the warning triangle.

But first,

Time for a muggacoffee and pink pills.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

There was definitely a subtle difference between Park Royal and Dublin Guinness. Our son met his partner when they were in the same department at uni. She was from a rural part of Northern Ireland so Dublin was a convenient place to meet up during long holidays. My first taste of the genuine article was when he was a post-grad student in London. He had gone over to see Pam then came back to Birmingham. 

He had brought a large pack back with him. I had a couple of tins of the Park Royal brew in the cupboard so he suggested a blind taste test, to be repeated three times at ten minute intervals. I went 3 out of 3 for the Dublin brew. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/03/2022 at 19:04, Grizz said:

…A virus modified to kill cancer cells sounds promising..

And they are. There’s already one or two that are already approved (for melanoma) and quite a few more in development. Definitely “First World” treatments, requiring very sophisticated production facilities, a very short supply chain and serious refrigerated storage (-80*C).

Treatments for cancer are getting ever more sophisticated and effective - but also they are deigned to treat fewer cancers - as treatments are often very specific to only one, or just few, cancer(s). For example: trastuzamab [Herceptin] is very effective against HER2 +tive breast cancer, it doesn’t work in breast cancers that don’t over express HER2. Modern targeted therapies no longer involve a shotgun/one size fits all approach - such as with older chemotherapeutics such as the platinum based cisplatin - which used to treat testicular cancer, ovarian cancer, cervical cancer, breast cancer, bladder cancer, head and neck cancer, esophageal cancer, lung cancer, mesothelioma, brain tumors and neuroblastoma.

There’s also the strange situation in that with modern cancer treatments by killing the cancer you can kill the patient! This is down to something called Tumour Lysis Syndrome - whereby large numbers of cancer cells are killed rapidly, leading to the release of intracellular ions and metabolic byproducts into the body. Unless treated immediately and effectively TLS can be fatal. Of course, the larger the tumour burden, the higher the risk of TLS (interestingly, in some cancers - such as ovarian cancer - as much as possible of the tumour is removed surgically [debulking] increasing the chance of success of chemo- or radiotherapy).

The biology of cancer and the development of anti-cancer treatments I find endlessly fascinating and a far cry from the late 70s (when I started) when treatment involved using something incredibly toxic and was given until you

> ran out of tumour

> ran out of drug

> ran out of patient

(OK, I do exaggerate for [black] humourous effect, but the above wasn’t that far off)

Enjoy Saturday

iD

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

11 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Quick check-in, just received a package in time for my afternoon cuppa :) 

20220318_JubblyMug.jpg.842df7e1380cf35155e1af678fdb6c9b.jpg

LUVVLY JUBBY  :jester::jester::jester:

Good heavens, that’s hideous. It doesn’t look like HMQ at all. It looks like Les Dawson in a tiara  (and for best effect, such a crest should be placed on an off-white or, preferably, dark background)

And I bet it’s made in the PRC

p.s. I’m all in favour of recognising and celebrating so many decades of dedicated service by HMQ, but some of the souvenirs that are being flogged on line…. Really! Whatever happened to good taste?

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, laurenceb said:

I had one sip of guinness, once. And if I ever have another one it will be far too soon

Guinness is like marmite - loved or loathed (I imagine vegemite elicits the same response). I quite like it, although it IS true that Guinness tastes better in Ireland.

Now here’s a thought: what about battered, deep fried LDC, served with soggy chips and washed down with a Guinness and marmite concoction?

Given the various posts on those topics hitherto posted on ER, the above should tick ALL the boxes…

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Tried to post.. it asked if I would like Chrome to take a picture... erm no... couldn't do any ratings.. but looks like I can post and rate now! Pah!

Enjoy Ally Pally! A friend has his layout there ..Blakey Rigg.. in S gauge. Photos he sent last night showed a fair bit of empty space..hopefully the hall will now be full.

We went out for youngest Herbert's very delayed birthday meal last night. Tapas cooked and served by a couple from Barcelona. Very nice.

As it happens youngest Herbert works for Diageo and has to visit Dublin (due to go later this year). I like Guiness.. it doesn't like me .. but he reckons its all brewed the same way..doesn't matter if its for Irish or overseas consumption. I will stick with Tim Taylors Dark Landlord aka Ram Tam thank you.

Time to wander off into RMWeb land for a bit.

Stay safe!

Enjoy the weekend!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny but still cool Charente.   We got two eggs yesterday.  It will possibly be a frittata for ta tonight to use up the stock.   I had a good day heading east to an MRC meeting.  First stop was a large Brico (DIY) shed to buy a garden furniture set.  It took e a while to explain to the assistant that i needed to know the size of the packaging to see if would fit in the car or if I needed to return with the trailer.  This took a bit of translation but we eventually got there.  Then on to the meeting.   16 of us there.  A very good lunchtime meal then cake and tea back at Andy and Mary's house.  Mary had made a lovely selection of cakes.  We had a short meeting then a longer natter whilst various unmentionable objects circulated around us on parallel strips of metal.

Back home, another hour strangling wires in the shed then some telly.   Not a bad day.

This morning the hens were out in good time though they told me that at 07.30 I was late.   We will shortly be ringing the girls to see how young Emily is.  Then a neighbour is coming to help me service the lawn tractor.  The grass is growing well.

I was told that Irish Guinness was excellent but have only been over there once to the north.  My mate and I were trainspotting for the day courtesy of a £2 return flight with Jet2.   Keith had spent time over there in the army and all day extolled the beauty of proper Irish Guinness.   We got to the airport, checked in and headed to the bar where Keith ordered 2 pints of the stuff.   A very embarrassed barman eventually admitted that they were out of it. He did manage to get half a pint out of the taps so he gave us that for free and I did taste some. I have a vague memory that casks of Dublin brewed Guinness were the last cross border freight carried by rail.

Jamie 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

It is too early but there is a good reason for being up even more betimes than usual.  I am off to Ally Pally shortly.  Because there are buses but no trains today between Luton and Bedford I shall drive to Luton Airport Parkway and join the rail network there.  By the time I get to Londinium I will desire breakfast and the 'Spoons at St Pancras should be open.  Then I hit the Piccadilly Line to Wood Green and the W3 bus if the exhibition shuttle is not yet running. 

Bear won't be at A.P......

Technically (though unlikely) I could attend tomorrow, but I very much doubt I can be ar5ed and in any event don't think it's worth the risk of the lurgy.  Now if it'd been Railex, ExpoEM or S4um then it'd be a different case entirely.....

I did discover some good news yesterday though - it seems that Italy will no longer require Bear to undertake a PCR Covid Test before visiting later this year.  That's good - one less complication that'll save a few Pizza Vouchers.

56 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Good heavens, that’s hideous. It doesn’t look like HMQ at all. It looks like Les Dawson in a tiara  (and for best effect, such a crest should be placed on an off-white or, preferably, dark background)

And I bet it’s made in the PRC

p.s. I’m all in favour of recognising and celebrating so many decades of dedicated service by HMQ, but some of the souvenirs that are being flogged on line…. Really! Whatever happened to good taste?

I would've thought that such products have to be licenced n' all that.  Surely that never got approved, even without the spelling error?  Mind you, good luck suing a Chines-based seller...

48 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Now here’s a thought: what about battered, deep fried LDC, served with soggy chips and washed down with a Guinness and marmite concoction?

Given the various posts on those topics hitherto posted on ER, the above should tick ALL the boxes…

And iD was doing so well until you went and spoiled it with the Guinness......

Bear here.....

Door frame work today.  What a surprise.

I also have Conservatory door to sort out - it's been sticking on the longest edge for far too long and needs sorting.  Unfortunately it means taking the door off (Bear can do that) in order to do so; unfortunately that'll also mean putting the door back on again - and that's a pig to do single-pawed, even with a door-raiser (which Bear has).  It's at times like this that now departed for pastures new buddy who lived next door is really missed :sad_mini2:

The sensible way is to postpone that job until tomorrow, when buddy over the road would probably be available to help.  Does Bear do "sensible"?  Ask me later.....

edit:  Bear has just realised that there's a sh1t load of washing to do as well :sad_mini2:.  Turdycurses

Edited by polybear
  • Like 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

in some cancers - such as ovarian cancer - as much as possible of the tumour is removed surgically [debulking] increasing the chance of success of chemo- or radiotherapy).

Indeed. And of potential interest to most of us this is also true of penile cancer. Not a common affliction and usually recoverable but one of the last places we want anything to go wrong. 

It’s been quite a few years now. The only lasting after-effects have been fibrosis (of which I was warned) and what I shall call early-onset male-pattern contraception ;)  

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

And good morning from a bright sunny Hill of Strawberries where it is Former Neighbour (Next Door)’s moving-out day. 

We have already received a donation of surplus food and are on standy-by in case a need arises for helping hands.

Flowers and a bottle of fizzy falling-down water have already been arranged for delivery to her new home which is near the Reedham Ferry for those who know that area. 

It is also New Marmalade Day. The old jar expired yesterday. The new one is Fortnum & Mason’s “Sir Nigel’s Vintage Thick Cut” orange.  Nothing to do with a famous engineer; this refers to Sir Nigel Playfair, actor. 

It was a surprise gift from Dr. SWMBO.  Some years ago she had bought a jar of the same to take back when we lived in Australia. A good present, she thought. It never occurred to her that it might fall foul of the “liquids, gels and aerosols” ruling for cabin baggage. The security staff explained that it was the texture of a gel, was not allowed and relieved her of it. The big bag into which it could legitimately have gone quite safely had already been checked in of course ….. 

…. meaning I got an apology instead of a somewhat pricey jar of marnalade!  A situation now rectified!!!  

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. RMW was really slow this morning and would only let me rate likes as like. Now it has speeded up and I can rate appropriately. Sadly I will be unable to go to Ally Pally today though the feet are better now and I could just about manage it, I hope to be able to attend Warley at the end of the year. There are a few local shows coming up, one next month and two in April. A local model railway emporium is closing at the end of this month. The reason is that bodies through the door did not pick up after lockdown. It was a quite recently established business, he started up at about the same time as Andy Ram but in a more rural situation. We haven't heard from Andy lately I hope everything is OK with him.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest and at 9C it’s not too cold either. I’ll shortly be heading off to collect Ava, who will be spending the day here with us and she is also stopping for tea this evening as well! Most of the day will be spent with Sheila as they work through her latest sewing project. I, on the other hand shall just keep out of the way, I know my place! 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

…Now here’s a thought: what about battered, deep fried LDC, served with soggy chips and washed down with a Guinness and marmite concoction?

I forgot:

and tinned baked beans and washed down with…

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

We seem to be back after a short interlude.  All I could get was a 503 error and a message about server overload.  

I am advised that I shall be going for something called a "walk" with her shortly.  I wonder what sinister connotations or hidden agenda might lie in wait.

In the meantime I am perusing unmentionable items which this lovely sun suggest all need a good dustering.  Hmmm.  That's a job for Later Ron ;) 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Washing done.  Tick.

Clean sheets on the Bear Pit.  Tick

Much work on the door frame for the under-stairs cupboard - so far, so good; more to do this afternoon, namely drilling and plugging the walls so the stiles can be secured once the hinge rebates have been cut.

I've finally had a reply from the Ebay seller of hinges that don't arrive - the command of English Language suggests they're not UK based, unless they spent their school days playing truant....

I'll be asking Ebay to step in and issue a refund on Tuesday.  The seller has had their chance.

And finally.....

How to p1ss off Poo Tin.  First class.  Bear predicts he'll not be happy......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60804949

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, chrisf said:

when in Rome and all that.  I wonder what the local tipple is in Mallorca?  I will find out soon enough.

Chris

And so, the 10 top-selling beers in Spain are:

Ambar Especial Lager

Estrella Galicia Especial

Hipercor Lager

Condis Premium Pilneser

Aurum (Eroski) Especial

Alhambra Premium Lager

Falsbourg (E.Leclerc) Cerveza

Stark (Mercadona) Especial

Alhambra Especial

Heineken Lager Premium

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

. but he reckons its all brewed the same way..doesn't matter if its for Irish or overseas consumption.

What about Nigerian Guinness? I have even seen that on sale in Essex. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2