The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pH said:

When the automated light-rail transit was being built here, there were various suggestions for a system name. By analogy with the Bay Area Rapid Transit system in San Francisco, and since the system here runs close to the Fraser River in places, one suggestion was Fraser Area Rapid Transit. It was not accepted. 

Possible objectionable three-letter combinations used to be weeded out of UK vehicle registrations. Unfortunately, there did not appear to have been speakers of Scottish dialect involved.

Bear recalls the registration "5 EXY" appearing in the papers many moons ago (30+); I've just discovered that the registration "VIP 1" sold for £285K back in 2006.  As for the buyer, well I'll give you a clue - he's Russian and used as a disposal point for Doggie Doo Doo's....

Perhaps Bojo should be seizing it and re-selling it for Ukraine Charity?  

30 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I spent a pleasant afternoon with Andy, watching trains then cooked tea for Beth and I.  She had had to go to Niort (37 miles each way), to pick up a friend who had been to Paris. Beth took her to catch the train last week.  150 miles in all.  Not one cent was offered for fuel.  Beth is not amused.  

It's amazing just how busy you can be/car is sick/other arrangements etc. etc. should a similar need be received in the future.....

Bear here.....

Well it seems that the Met Person has decided that the rain shall fall on Bear Towers earlier than predicted - it's now 11am instead of the afternoon predicted yesterday.  Turdycurses.  So Bear has to crack on with mixing up some mortar, sorting the door frame opening and then cleaning up the tools afterwards, some of which takes place in the back garden cos' that's where the hosepipe and drain are.

• Like 16
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have seen that the Christie Cup is in its 136th year and is a Leeds/Liverpool/Manchester Universities multiple sports compettiton.

Ooh err!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I have seen that the Christie Cup is in its 136th year and is a Leeds/Liverpool/Manchester Universities multiple sports compettiton.

Ooh err!

Baz

I suppose that as my dad went to Liverpool I should root for the murkysiders.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The hand is a bit better this morning, the swelling has all but disappeared but it still catches me out. Some sort of dressing is out because being on my hand one would soon get very tatty and have you ever tried to apply a bandage with one hand? Talking of registration plates, an Englishman living in California had the licence plate b*ll*x, a word virtually unknown in America.

17 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

I hesitate to post this, because I don't intend to make light of the real problems for the ukrainians, but for those guitarists (or bass players) who use valve amps ('tubes' in america), a consequence of Putin's war - no valve exports from Russia. https://www.guitarworld.com/news/electro-harmonix-russia-tube-exports-ban

Maybe time to move to solid-state, but in the meantime take care of your valves.

Other brands are still available, but they might not be as good.

Way back (1960's) we had a Russian radiogram that had valves, practically everything else (radio's, TV) was transistor.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 18

52 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I suppose that as my dad went to Liverpool I should root for the murkysiders.

Jamie

You don't know how funny that sounds to Australians.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A very dull start to the day here in England’s northwest, although it isn’t raining, it looks like it could at any minute, there is rain forecast for this afternoon! I’m going to attempt a bit more gardening work today, the hydrangeas need pruning and so does the apple tree. Then a good clean up of the surrounding area will follow, I wonder how much of this I’ll actually get done? 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Having real issues on the site this morning.  Last attempt totally disappeared, then locked out 500 error for half an hour.

So its persisting down, our day on the MER is cancelled as Charles' daughter has covid, and it looks like I'll have to do some housework.  Pah.

Your post this morning was duplicated. What sometimes happens is that when you click Submit Reply nothing appears to happen for several minutes. If you click on Submit Reply again you will end up with a duplicate post as its still in the editor. When it happens I usually look at another site, check my inbox or put the kettle on while I'm waiting for it to load. It often takes as much as five minutes to load. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
On 16/03/2022 at 07:53, Barry O said:

I'm pretty sure our daughter  appeared for Liverpool in that one year. She definitely got her colours for at least two sports there.

@chrisf  Don't forget to include a trip out to Soller on the shiny metal and the tram down to the port when you are in Mallorca. Definitely worth it for the views and the heritage technology

Moving on to the talk about Crufts this week, it reminded me of the incident seven(?) years ago when one of the entrants didn't make it home. This was the front page of one of the Red Tops next day.

P3090929.JPG.2928a242a1ab63ecb25a094a824b9c54.JPG

Anyway, the site is annoying me at the moment so I will depart to the adjacent playroom to do some muddling

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Picture restored
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I'm pretty sure our daughter  appeared for Liverpool in that one year. She definitely got her colours for at least two sports there.

@chrisf  Don't forget to include a trip out to Soller on the shiny metal and the tram down to the port when you are in Mallorca. Definitely worth it for the views and the heritage technology

Moving on to the talk about Crufts this week, itreminded me of the incident seven(?) years ago when one of the entrants didn't make it home. This was the front page of one of the Red Tops next day.

P3090929.JPG.233893be7b6fe255f594645c6648a989.JPG

Anyway,the site id annoying me at the moment so I will depart to the adjecnet playroom to do some muddling

P3090929.JPG

You'd think that a professional journalist would come up with a better line than the one at the bottom, 'Police are following all leads'.

• Agree 7
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Having real issues on the site this morning.  Last attempt totally disappeared, then locked out 500 error for half an hour.

So its persisting down, our day on the MER is cancelled as Charles' daughter has covid, and it looks like I'll have to do some housework.  Pah.

I did notice that your post this morning was duplicated but now both posts have disappeared. What has probably happened is that both posts were reported as duplicates and were removed by the mods. I have sometimes reported others duplicate posts (but always the second post) but in future I will only report my own duplicate posts. Normally such posts are removed almost instantly and it isn't a problem but at the moment the mods are very busy.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

You'd think that a professional journalist would come up with a better line than the one at the bottom, 'Police are following all leads'.

4 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I didn't think the 'Stun' had any of those

I think ER's could come up with a few better ones (or worse). Such as 'Police are trying to sniff out all clues',

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Lots of emails from the bank wanting mobile phone numbers and warnings of the two stage identification at the end of the month to purchase things using a credit card.. With no mobile phone, that means from the end of the month, I'll be going back to using cash.. I wonder what will happen in shops where you can't get a mobile signal?

I've a sneaky feeling that the two-stage identification process is for when you are using a CC for on-line purchases.

Special Beary Newsflash.....

Some VERY good news - though I'll believe it only when they're on a neutral (i.e. non-Iranian) aircraft and outside Iranian airspace:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/iran-detainees-nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-and-anoosheh-ashouri-heading-to-airport-before-leaving-country/ar-AAV7D3R?ocid=msedgntp

In other news....

The second brickwork opening is now all smoothed out, ready for the door frame :yahoo:

I did have to mix up a second batch of Mortar (don't you JUST HATE having to do that?) in order to complete the job, only to discover that the second batch of Mortar was a bit too big and I had to chuck some (don't you JUST HATE having to do that?) :angry:

And finally....

Today's Wednesday (all day, apparently) and that means it's....

Pizza Day!!!  :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

And finally finally.....

Still no sign of the Hinges ordered from the 'bay :angry: - they're now two days overdue and I've asked for a refund.  Should've paid a bit extra and got them from The Big River instead; their absence is now holding up further work on the door frames (though I could cut the stiles to length).  Turdycurses.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning raining again, we met up with our daughter for a walk along the beach yesterday in Broughty Ferry, she is struggling waiting for my report from the CT scan, I'm sort of philosophical about it, what will be and all that SWMBO keeps ringing the doctors to see if the reports back, they did say it could take 2 weeks, you sort of sit by the phone don't you?

Bear's view on such matters is that "no news is often good news" as it can often (though not always) mean that nothing urgent/serious has been spotted; getting a call the day after is more worrying....

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare ... 

Lots of emails from the bank wanting mobile phone numbers and warnings of the two stage identification at the end of the month to purchase things using a credit card.. With no mobile phone, that means from the end of the month, I'll be going back to using cash.. I wonder what will happen in shops where you can't get a mobile signal.

Time to .. put more thought into lazy jacks..

We have very poor mobile coverage where we live and invariably the sites timed out before the text arrived. Sometimes  90 minutes later. I sorted it by going to the bank and asking them to send emails. The lady didn't think that was possible but did some digging and found the option. It works a treat. As I tend to only do payments grom home there's no problem as the wifi picks it straight up.

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

You don't know how funny that sounds to Australians.

I was sort of aware of that. It must have caused much merriment when Joe Root was the England cricket captain.

Jamie

• Like 18