The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
On 14/03/2022 at 20:00, tigerburnie said:

We had a nice walk round our local loch, hoping the Osprey would be back, still on it's holidays in Africa I guess, the Cormorants sat on his tree won't be there much longer.

Loch of the Lowes regular male is back.

Earliest recorded return.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, BoD said:

Loch of the Lowes regular male is back.

Earliest recorded return.

Yes I saw that, we are not that far away as the Osprey flies, hopefully ours will be along soon, we are fortunate to have several pairs in our area.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Covid isolation in the North West Wing has given me the opportunity to sort out all unfinished projects. Stock of small spare parts, wheels etc has been filed in the partitioned boxes. Larger parts are in plastic containers formerly containing soft cheese and the like. Checking the kit stash and donors has already turned up a couple of things overtaken by various multicoloured box providers so they can go for sale. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Well I now have an outside tap - and in a moment of madness cut the front lawn as well (mainly because it's green bin week on Thursday).  Buddy over the road has had his roof fixed by Bear's tame roofer today (a tile had come adrift from beneath a hip tile in the last storm - so needed re-securing and mortaring in position).  The cost?  Twenty quid (buddy gave him thirty); I suspect the low cost was cos' Tom the Roofer was also doing Bear's next door neighbours' hip tiles at the same time (several of those had gone walkies, despite the roof only being up for approx. 20 years - buddy's roof over the road is over 50 years old....).

Tomorrow?  Well I have today's door frame brickwork opening to tidy/level up with cement.  After that, well the World is Bear's Oyster LDC....

In other news...

It seems the Russian who protested with the poster live on telly has been fined £213.  I'd call that a "right result", unless of course she is scheduled to meet with "an unfortunate accident" in the near future.  Personally I think I'd scarper asap.  It also seems that a TV Presenter has just resigned and left the country.

Coincidence?  Hmmm.....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/body-of-russian-model-who-branded-putin-a-psychopath-found-in-suitcase-year-after-going-missing/ar-AAV5CTi?ocid=msedgntp

Edited by polybear
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening All!

1224281707_EveningAll.jpg.bb51ca48d58418f32ade3054b922c91b.jpg

Failed to go out on the AJ yesterday but I did manage a bit of moon gazing later on which was good.   I think the result is better than my previous efforts and I'm hoping future results will be even better after I've been fleeced by the optician towards the end of the month when I should actually be able to focus on things close-up once again !

1416354123_Moon10C.jpg.32b0831ff5f91a2ee307f5d67124ecb0.jpg

As the weather was fine this morning I decided to prune one of the apple trees today.   It had a lot of fresh vertical growth from last year that is just starting to bud up which needed to go before it gets going again.   This involved some aerial acrobatics 15' or so up a ladder (it's still a tall tree although a lot shorter than it was a couple of years back).    First time I've been up a ladder I think since last year's "Great Inconvenience" and I can't say I'm keen on the things these days.    Still, I didn't fall off it so all's well that ends well.

Just spent an educational "hour and a bit" watching this chap's interesting perspective from 2015.   

Hmmm, I wonder if he's got a "Told You So!"  Tee shirt?     

Doesn't justify the dreadful things happening at the moment but sure does give a context for the uninitiated such as myself.

Night Awl!

Alan

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The day has been somewhat uneventful, even my consultation this morning was relatively uneventful. My PSA has risen, it’s now 0.4 compared to 0.3 in December, so only a slight rise, which those in charge are unconcerned about. On my way home, the sun tried to shine, but it didn’t last long and the clouds returned with in a few minutes. 

As predicted earlier this morning, the afternoon was spent doing SFA (sweet f**k all), although I did spend some time reading a few model railway magazines. 

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

As predicted earlier this morning, the afternoon was spent doing SFA

An acceptable expansion of those initials is San Fairy Ann (from the French ca ne fâit rien), there is a cycle club in the Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells area by that name - and everyone can work out what it really means.:D

• Like 7
  • Funny 6

An Asheville*, North Carolina woman made national 'headlines' by requesting a license plate with the initials of a group she founded: "Friends of Asheville Recreational Trails". 

She initially got the license plate but the 'no fun zone' DMV reneged and refuses to let her use it on her car.

* A town in the (US) Piedmont famous for being the home of the Biltmore estate built by the Vanderbilt family.

• Funny 19

The third day of daylight saving time has disappeared in a flash, it gets late* so early**. (I slept late this morning probably due to the combination of late night television and the time change.)

* By the clock

** By the sun

It appears that there is momentum behind permanent daylight saving time, a bill having passed the US Senate. (It still has to pass the house.)

I understand the appeal of not changing clocks, and the appeal of late summer evenings. All of these can be avoided by not having any daylight saving and getting up early in the summer, but apparently having celestial noon around 1:00pm is easier somehow. Presuming this continues, I can imagine the reports of the dangers of vehicle accidents, commuting in dark winter mornings a couple of years from now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

I hesitate to post this, because I don't intend to make light of the real problems for the ukrainians, but for those guitarists (or bass players) who use valve amps ('tubes' in america), a consequence of Putin's war - no valve exports from Russia. https://www.guitarworld.com/news/electro-harmonix-russia-tube-exports-ban

Maybe time to move to solid-state, but in the meantime take care of your valves.

Other brands are still available, but they might not be as good.

Edited by zarniwhoop
I spelt guitarists with a q!
  • Informative/Useful 11

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

An Asheville*, North Carolina woman made national 'headlines' by requesting a license plate with the initials of a group she founded: "Friends of Asheville Recreational Trails". 

She initially got the license plate but the 'no fun zone' DMV reneged and refuses to let her use it on her car.

* A town in the (US) Piedmont famous for being the home of the Biltmore estate built by the Vanderbilt family.

When the automated light-rail transit was being built here, there were various suggestions for a system name. By analogy with the Bay Area Rapid Transit system in San Francisco, and since the system here runs close to the Fraser River in places, one suggestion was Fraser Area Rapid Transit. It was not accepted. 

Possible objectionable three-letter combinations used to be weeded out of UK vehicle registrations. Unfortunately, there did not appear to have been speakers of Scottish dialect involved.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

There was a touch of dismay last night when I discovered that Network Rail will be engineering between Bedford and Luton on Saturday, when I shall be attending the Ally Pally show.  The journey on the rail replacement bus will seem to take for ever and unless I get out of bed at stupid o'clock I shall miss my 'Spoons breakfast in London.  Network Rail, bless them, describe the engineering as "exciting".  I'm not sure that I agree.

There are happier things afoot.  This evening sees an Area Group meeting.  I would rather it were face to face than by Zoom but it's not up to me.  Zoom is better than not meeting at all but the main business will be 'show and tell'.  Admiring someone else's m*d*ll*ng is arguably better done face to face.  Meanwhile, I can now book my C*****mas holiday in Somerset should I be so minded.  I am sure that Halsway Manor can put my money to good use for nine months.

Preparations for my jaunt to Mallorca continue.  Having ordered and received my Covid pass I find that it expires the day before I am due to travel and I must get another one.  Oh bother.

Chris   

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17