The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The wall bracket holding the shower head broke this morning so I will have to get a new one. I doubt very much that I will find one with identical screw fixing holes so that means I will have to drill new holes through the tiles :mad:.

1 hour ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Ah, the unintentional duplicate post gremlin has struck again. Sorry about that!

If you have a duplicate post just click on the three dots in the top right hand corner and then 'report post'. When that appears the second option is 'duplicate post' so just click on that.

27 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Morning All,

Now it looks like a travel schedule will actually be feasible this year (London, London, Hamburg, Edinburgh, Birmingham [NEC - fir Warley]), I’ll have to investigate how many of those trips can be classified as a business trip (at least one London trip).

Are you considering going by rail?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that 10c is now '6 feels like 2', and it does - just got the firewood in before it rained, not very nice out there at all.

Spent an hour scanning an old photo of what is now Debs' office, or at least the original building - it was on the verge of collapse so a new one was built in its place, still looks OK though.  Can't post the cleaned up photo here, awls may be watching, it has those electrickery things that run on parallel steel bars on it.  The guys she works with are mostly newish here and don't recall the old building so wanted this for the office.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

I'm (grumpily, as usual) testing how much this week's linux fixes for the latest spectre vulnerabilities slow down compiling on AMD machines (unlike intel, AMD used an 'lfence' instruction instead of a full 'retpoline' (reverse trampoline)) - but intel have now pointed out that is not always reliable :-( ...snip...

I wonder if you could translate that into English? :huh:

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

...snip... All of our 1000+ cd collection has been ripped to mp3  ...snip...

Enjoy the day.

That must have taken quite a loooooooong time. I dread the thought of doing so with my 2500 or so records! :o Actually, I would probably really do about a third, but still..........

6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

...snip... Sennheiser 590 headphones.  ...snip...

Enjoy the day.

I was given (from a friend's estate sale) a nice set of Sennheiser HDR 170 wireless cans. When I first listened with them, I thought about giving up my speakers!

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

That must have taken quite a loooooooong time. I dread the thought of doing so with my 2500 or so records! :o Actually, I would probably really do about a third, but still..........

What I did was grab about 20 at a time and since I was working from home even way back when, it was a simple task to pop one into my own PC, then carry on working on the company laptop, when finished it auto-ejected. Lather, rinse, repeat. Took about 15 weeks in the end. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

As a hifi enthusiast, despite my deafness, I moved to a streamer for flac files years ago,after eventually installing enough filters to remove the noise. I find that 44.1/16 is often disappointing (although adequate for the ceol mór which would cause Ben the Collie to run to his safe place). 44.1/24 downloads tend to be "better", as do 48 and 96 Khz v

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Puppers.......HEEEELP.......:help:

Sorry Bear I haven't got the foggiest idea!    I wonder if you still need to mark the edges of your CDs with a green felt pen* and as for my oxygen free cables lungs ....

Must re-visit the Not the 9 o'clock News Hi Fi sketch :taunt:

* Probably not, time has moved on and my naked CD's play just fine not that they are played very often  as I mainly listen to the Wireless these days :D

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

14 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I still use this Technics SL-1600MK2 as my daily driver:

807099850_SL-1600mk2black-001.JPG.875f66d98510b2a76c9cf87da32186b1.JPG

But if I want to do some fast-spinning, I use this SL-1015:

SL-1015-003.JPG.5a45089daf5c0a472e36862cded5698c.JPG

This Onkyo TX-4500MK2 does the duty, note that it needs a few dial lights replaced:

1936657522_OnkyoTX4500mk2postedtofbSilverface27apr19.jpg.561d637567349a96ec34088ebed39f9b.jpg

Occasionally, I roll tape with this Tascam 112B:

1989028256_Tascam112Bcassette-004.JPG.93193c86dc9ca036a0e23d06c9da1cd0.JPG

Hmmmf, I have never taken any photos of my speakers.

My turntable is an SL-8210, basic but functional, an RS B605 tape deck(yes I have shed loads of cassettes to lol) a Rotel RA 11 amp with Polk speakers and a Marantz SA8005 cd deck. I tend to use the Harmon Kardon system attached to my computer as often as not for listening to youtube etc

• Like 13

4 hours ago, PupCam said:

Morning All!

RMWeb not working at all well again for me lately, good job I haven't paid for it then!

Not a great deal to report from Puppershire although it's a nice day today so I could be tempted by a chug on the AJ!

Laurie Hughes, a friend from the world of model flying posted a cracking photograph on Faceache yesterday.    He's one of those hardy souls who often stand on the top of Welsh mountains taking fantastic military aircraft photographs at the Mach Loop.    On this occasion he's ventured to the land of @tigerburnie to try and capture the Aurora and his patience appears to have been rewarded!       Posted here with Laurie's permission, I thought you might like to see it.

Alan

Aurora.jpg

We had cloud for most of the night and we missed it again.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

39 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I was given (from a friend's estate sale) a nice set of Sennheiser HDR 170 wireless cans. When I first listened with them, I thought about giving up my speakers!

I had Sennheiser cans, great when they worked but didn't last for very long, less than 5 years, now have OneOdio, which seem very good so far.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

No.  Apparently I poke it through the tiny hole in the back wall to allow water to run away.  I tried explaining that this is what I have been doing (with the special-hole-poking-shaped-piece-of-plastic which was supplied with the fridge) and that the ice builds up relentlessly causing freezing of food.  No - Person was not interested in this. "We'll see how it goes" were his parting words.  Along with "Colin will be round with a new washer-dryer sometime."  

Would it be a Samsung fridge perchance? Seems there is a design flaw in many of them. Ours ices up despite the so called "fix" being implemented several years ago. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Enticed by sunshine, I walked around to the village shop.  Peed it down.  Back in now after half a mile in persisting rain....and its sunny again. Pah, I think the appropriate exclamation is.

We felt a bit off colour this weekend, but single lines only on the LFT's.  Mrs H not too well at all this morning, did another - still negative. Must be a 'normal' winter bug.  

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Person duly arrived.  

Person duly perused.

Person duly proclaimed.

"Your washing machine's dead.  We'll organise a new one"  It seems the bearing has "gone" but where it has gone to has not been explained.  The fridge was emptied of its contents, save for air and a large build-up of ice.  Person took an industrial-sized screwdriver to the ice, prised it away, presented me with a cable-tie and told me "There - that's fixed".  

OK.  What do I do with the cable tie?  Do I use it to secure my lolling tongue to my inner cheek?  Do I pierce a nipple and thread it through?  Or do I hold it aloft and hope for 5G???

No.  Apparently I poke it through the tiny hole in the back wall to allow water to run away.  I tried explaining that this is what I have been doing (with the special-hole-poking-shaped-piece-of-plastic which was supplied with the fridge) and that the ice builds up relentlessly causing freezing of food.  No - Person was not interested in this. "We'll see how it goes" were his parting words.  Along with "Colin will be round with a new washer-dryer sometime."  

OK.  Cheers.  Right.  Yes.  

I now have a lot of ice to remove from the kitchen floor and the contents of a fridge to replace.  But at least Person has been and was right on time.  

Hmmm......not sure why a "gone" bearing would stop a washing machine from working, unless it was totally Fubar'd and seized; a "gone" bearing would normally cause a wiggly drum (if indeed it's a drum bearing) and/or be as noisy as hell.

Still, if the new washer is a freebie (some extra warranties offer this) then sounds like a fair swap to this Bear....

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Would it be a Samsung fridge perchance? Seems there is a design flaw in many of them. Ours ices up despite the so called "fix" being implemented several years ago. 

This site is often useful for such info:

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forums/forum/public-support-forums/help-and-support/fridge-and-freezer-forum/69330-samsung-rs21-refrigerator-over-icing

And....

https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/fix-it-yourself/refrigeration-self-help/2787-iced-up-fridges-a-freezers

Edited by polybear
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear's Question Of The Day.....

How do Hermes - after being slaughtered recently for cr@p service - resolve the issues?

Answer: They rename themselves "Evri" instead.  Simples.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/hermes-changes-its-name-to-evri-after-parcel-mishandling-allegations-b987530.html

• Funny 13