The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

I liked the first line where it said

Police have issued a warning to motorists throughout Queensland after a post-apocalyptic-styled car was seen driving around central parts of the state. 

Makes it sound like the cops are scared everyone is going to start doing it. Of course if the Northern hemisphere explodes in a nuclear armageddon maybe we will be.

Though I just checked out carsales.com and theres only 2 Falcon hardtops for sale at the moment so get in  quick!

1733612577_Screenshot(332).png.38583f8b3104c244e27d55839ac7b8f5.png

Jeez....£110K and the guy cuts a hole in the bonnet for a blower :O  Respect.

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Rain was predicted for today but none has arrived yet. I've restored the pee-line further down the garden and under a large conifer near where the foxes get in. Its quite dry under there so it shouldn't be washed away by the rain unless its exceptionally heavy. Now back to the delights of Farcebook.

• Like 16

9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

here's a poor bloke reading the news, understandably decides to do his bit and get ready for the coming apocalypse and gets hit with a defect notice..

Is he living in the NT or QLD? It sounded like he was in the NT, so WTF does a QLD policeman have to weigh in?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Spelling
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Is he living in the NT or QLD? It sounded like he was in the NT, so WTF does a QLD policeman have tow weigh in?

The legacy of the joh years is still strong in many of them I guess.. Lucky not to cop a thumping!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12

Curious weather today. This morning was stunning - bright blue cloudless skies and it looked like it would be a stunning day. As forecast, rain appeared mid-afternoon. *Some* amount of rain is forecast for the next seven days. (We need it.)

Tonight sees the "spring forward" of daylight saving time. Hopefully I will get to sleep before it gets very late. There is a big push to have "permanent daylight saving". The whole construct is so arbitrary. Why not have television programming  scheduled one hour earlier, and change work/school hours to enable more evening sunlight? (Living in US "central time" this is pretty much the case.)

The news is full of hyperbolic, "increased mortality" effects (heart attacks, road accidents, etc) related to changing the clocks. Why the solution is permanent, rather than no, daylight saving, escapes me.

I'm not a fan of having school children go to school in the dark. (This may be necessary at latitudes like those of Scotland, but at 45°N, with 'normal' celestial noon ≈ 12:00, school hours are in daylight, even in the dead of winter - barely.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... given the insurance I ahve for vision, a company called VSP, ALL lenses are made at their facility in Texas, so instead of a simple day maybe tow to wait (which is the case for the sunglass lenses, not covered by insurance <ahem>) it's a likely 2 weeks as they have to ship the frames to Texas for the VSP blighters to do the lenses ...

I had VSP coverage in my old job. I don't recall it taking a long time for new lenses + frames.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

Morning All,

Firstly, congratulations to @New Haven Neil for his anniversary. Mrs iD and I will be celebrating 30 years of marriage soon-ish (I can never remember the date) and I fear she has “plans”…

Mrs iD’s Birthday dinner went off without a hitch and there’s plenty of left over roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and buttered cabbage left over to provide a few more meals (with a couple of spuds and Yorkshire puds set aside for two lucky dogs). If anyone is contemplating getting into cooking sous-vide, I say “go for it”. I cooked the beef sous-vide and finished it by searing it in a hot pan (though a few minutes under a salamander would also do the trick) and it was perfect - the beauty of cooking sous-vide is you can’t over cook the food (and you can turn tough meat fork-tender by this method).

Regretfully, not making Ally Pally (again), but - assuming that it goes ahead in 2022 - Warley at the NEC is definitely on the cards (gotta have an opportunity to spend all those consultancy fees I’m accumulating :D). The biggest problem will be actually getting to Birmingham by air: direct flights from CH seem to be some years: yes, some years: no. I will investigate further (some unkind souls might suggest the big issue is getting flights from Birmingham, not to it :jester:).

One of the things I have to do as a consultant, is to go through long lists of data - not particularly difficult but time-consuming and slightly monotonous. So, to enliven things I have been listening - whilst working through the data - to various artistes I have heard a little of and want to hear more of. Frank Zappa being the latest on the list. Once you get beyond the provocative and often raunchy lyrics, you discover an amazing level of musicianship both of Frank Zappa and his backing band.

This got me thinking, maybe it’s time to reevaluate my position on folk music! Unlike @chrisf, who seems to be immersed in the world of folk music, my knowledge is minimal and very much colured by my early exposure – in my teens - to folk music. I have this image (undoubtably erroneous) of folkies being either earnest bearded gentleman with beards and thick, chunky cableknit pullovers or ethereal long-haired. hippie chicks in “granny dresses” with warblerly voices. Singing songs about how “on't cross beams gone owt askew on treddle” or how “I gave my virtue to the squire’s son and alas now I am spurned”.

I am sure that this calumny will be promptly correct by “those in the know”

And on that six-string acoustic guitar strumming note, I bid you a great Sunday.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1